Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Flax Seed Oil.. Worthless Or Worthy

FLAX SEED OIL... Worth Paying For?

• Yes - definitely worth it.. excellent supplement.

Votes: 214 88.1%
  • No - waste of money.. shitty supplement.

Votes: 28 11.5%

• Total voters
I'm finishing up a bottle of Flax from Mass Quantities. I have a question about it, though. All of the little dark spots are gone and it's not as dark as it was at first. It's mostly just yellow now. Is there something wrong with it? I shake the bottle every time I pour out a tablespoon so it's all mixed up but it's not dark any longer. What do you think? (I've used Barlean's before and have never noticed this before.)

u4ik_RAGE said:

You got all that in less than a week?! It took me at least 2 to notice any of that, 3 weeks until I noticed my skin was smoother.

Hmmm... am I the ONLY person who's broken out from this stuff??? It makes my skin damn oily (and I dont have oily skin to begin with either ~ my skin is normal). And, I get all broken out on my shoulders and upper arms (this didnt happen until I started flax). I have since discontined flax and my skin is clearing up.

And Im not a pimply-faced pubescent kid either...Im 30 yrs old!

Thank GOD it hasnt made my face break out (that much). And thats weird enough...a 30 yr old gettin zits on his face (only one or two).

Theres MY experience with flax seed oil. As far as the taste...for God's sake, get over it...it just tastes kinda wheaty/grassy like.:fro:

Just wanted to mention that since I have put 3 tbsps of ground up flax in my morning shake and 3 tbsps of oil before bed my libido has increased considerably!! I suspected that it enhanced test production but now I am convinced!!!

JC

HotYngSwngr said:
Ultimate Nutrition makes it in a Soft-Gel capsule...I have recently started taking two 1000 mg. capsules a day...

you are taking between a 20th and a 10th of the effective dose. Do yourself a favor, take about 20 of those pills a day until the bottle is finished, then buy the oil.

JC

I'm taking organic flax oil sold in my local hippy health food store - because they don't display it in the sunny window like holland and barrett!!! They keep it in the fridge, small bottles, about a fiver each. I'm regular anyway, haven't noticed a difference there....

sguthrie said:

I've been talking to a dietitian who has done a lot of research on flax. I'm not quite sure why, but she reccomends both 1 TBS of oil AND a TBS of meal each day.

Your dietician is likely recommending the flax meal for its high fiber and protein content, in addition to its healthy fat content. She's probably recommending the oil for a concentrated dose of omega-3s (not realizing that the omega-3s provided by flax are short chain, and thus converted at a very low rate ((1-5%)) to the long-chain omega-3s usuable by the human body).

A tablespoon of flax meal is very much on the low side. Eat it like any oatmeal-type product or mix it in with shakes at about 20%. Flax meal will contain ~50% fat, ~30% carbs, ~20% protein.

I'd go 3 or 4 tablespoons of oil at least if I was supplementing with the oil. (and this would still lead to a conversion rate far below that of what a lot of doctors are recommending as beneficial) (you basically get about 25 mgs - 125 mgs of long-chain omega-3s per 2.5 grams of short-chain omega-3s (what you see on the label) in flax oil; many advocate a minimum dosage of 2.5 grams of useable (long-chain) omega-3s each day.

Flax meal has some value as a protein and fiber source (and if added to shakes helps to slow down digestion).

Fish oil is a better choice for omega-3s as its omega-3 content is long-chain.

THeMaCHinE said:
Your dietician is likely recommending the flax meal for its high fiber and protein content, in addition to its healthy fat content. She's probably recommending the oil for a concentrated dose of omega-3s (not realizing that the omega-3s provided by flax are short chain, and thus converted at a very low rate ((1-5%)) to the long-chain omega-3s usuable by the human body).

A tablespoon of flax meal is very much on the low side. Eat it like any oatmeal-type product or mix it in with shakes at about 20%. Flax meal will contain ~50% fat, ~30% carbs, ~20% protein.

I'd go 3 or 4 tablespoons of oil at least if I was supplementing with the oil. (and this would still lead to a conversion rate far below that of what a lot of doctors are recommending as beneficial) (you basically get about 25 mgs - 125 mgs of long-chain omega-3s per 2.5 grams of short-chain omega-3s (what you see on the label) in flax oil; many advocate a minimum dosage of 2.5 grams of useable (long-chain) omega-3s each day.

Flax meal has some value as a protein and fiber source (and if added to shakes helps to slow down digestion).

Fish oil is a better choice for omega-3s as its omega-3 content is long-chain.

So many many tablespoons a day are you recommending?

Top Bottom