Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ritalin and Memory Loss?? Really need help please take a look

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBane

Basically I've been doing some reading up on ritalin (started taking it roughly 4 weeks ago on a as needed basis, usually 3-4 times per week although the first week I prob took it 6 times). Anyways I have noticed my memory has been shit lately. I usually have a really really good memory and I'm forgetting fairly important conversation I will have with people. It's sort of scary especially since I am in school and I depend on my memory as my study habits are sub par. Anyways I did some searching and I know ritalin is very similar in structure to methamphetamine and I found this abstract.

Am J Psychiatry 2001 Mar;158(3):377-82 Related Articles, Links

Association of dopamine transporter reduction with psychomotor impairment in methamphetamine abusers.

Volkow ND, Chang L, Wang GJ, Fowler JS, Leonido-Yee M, Franceschi D, Sedler MJ, Gatley SJ, Hitzemann R, Ding YS, Logan J, Wong C, Miller EN.

Department of Psychiatry, State University of New York at Stony Brook, USA. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: Methamphetamine is a popular and highly addictive drug of abuse that has raised concerns because it has been shown in laboratory animals to be neurotoxic to dopamine terminals. The authors evaluated if similar changes occur in humans and assessed if they were functionally significant. METHOD: Positron emission tomography scans following administration of [(11)C]d-threo-methylphenidate (a dopamine transporter ligand) measured dopamine transporter levels (a marker of dopamine cell terminals) in the brains of 15 detoxified methamphetamine abusers and 18 comparison subjects. Neuropsychological tests were also performed to assess motor and cognitive function. RESULTS: Methamphetamine abusers showed significant dopamine transporter reduction in the striatum (mean differences of 27.8% in the caudate and 21.1% in the putamen) relative to the comparison subjects; this reduction was evident even in abusers who had been detoxified for at least 11 months. Dopamine transporter reduction was associated with motor slowing and memory impairment. CONCLUSIONS: These results provide evidence that methamphetamine at dose levels taken by human abusers of the drug leads to dopamine transporter reduction that is associated with motor and cognitive impairment. These results emphasize the urgency of alerting clinicians and the public of the long-term changes that methamphetamine can induce in the human brain.

PMID: 11229977 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Comments, similar experiences with ADD medication? Ideas on how to avoid/fix these complications?

BTW I do not abuse the ritalin. I only take it in 5-10mg dosages, the frequency of using is listed above. This is not used for recreational purposes either.

Is it possible to combat the dopamine transport reduction associated with ritalin/methamphetamine usage? (Also FYI I've never touched meth not any illegal stimulant drugs, this question is purely related to the ritalin).

Don't confuse Methamphetamine with Methylphenidate.

There is a differance. Slight. But still significant chemically.

bro if it was anywhere as good and harmful as amphetmaine then it wouldn't eb prescribed, good as min euphoria durations trength, etc. i don't see them giving out heroin for pain

i would say lower your doses... or talk to your doctor.. when i take it before i study..10-15mg's im on top on my shit and memory is unbelievable.. but after a few days of doing that because of a long string of tests or finals in college.. i start to have a hard time saying what im thinkING and such

just my experiences
cya
UWANAFIGHT2

I know there is a difference between ritalin and methamphetamine but like someone said above they are very very similar in structure and effects...

Maybe I'll try lowering dosages.

It depends largely on HOW MUCH and for HOW LONG you have been taking Ritalin.

It does tend to put a slight strain on the brain and body when taking over long period of times. This is usually a temporary problem and should dissapear when discontinued.

ritlin works,sort of!!!

another canadian bro ,
and I have tryed many times to work ritlin in to my workouts and must say works great , problem is the next day you feel like a truck just hit your head . almost like a bad hangover ..
just my experences
peace
hempster

Re: ritlin works,sort of!!!

hempster said:
another canadian bro ,
and I have tryed many times to work ritlin in to my workouts and must say works great , problem is the next day you feel like a truck just hit your head . almost like a bad hangover ..
just my experences
peace
hempster

I hope that THUMBS DOWN wasn't for me fellow Canadian :)
Welcome to you too Hempster!

BTW, how much do you usually take during workouts?

The thing about ritalin is that it is very quick acting (30-60 mins)and then very quick to wear off (2-3 hrs) so it produces the "peaks and valleys" effect which is not desired by most people. The way to eliminate this effect is to take multiple small doses which keeps the levels in the bloodstream constant. This however can be a problem too as most people don't want to have to pop several pills a day (during class, etc). If ritalin works for you, but you don't like the "peaks and valleys" effect, you might look into Concerta. Concerta is time released methylphenidiate which uses a plastic release capsule that has a small hole in the end and releases its dose constantly throughout 12hrs. I've taken this before and it works a hell of a lot better than just plain ritalin. The only downside is that sometimes you want to work on homework for just a few hrs and when you take concerta, its a 12 hr ride. You can however cut the pills up and it destroys the release mechanism and then you have ritalin thats just like what you have now. If plain ritalin ritalin is too harsh (it is for me) then you might try Concerta. Small doses of adderall work great too. It's longer lasting than ritalin (4-6 hrs) and has and has a completely "smooth" effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom