Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

IGF-1 and Muscle Growth

Captain FT

2150 Served and Counting
Platinum
This is very enlightening information here, maybe a sticky is in order. I've replied this info to others who were think about or already taking IGF-1 LR3. All information and credit goes to VX1 of DatBtrue forum. Those guys are a wealth of knowledge over there. As you can see there is a lot of reference material and reading to do, enjoy!

IGF1 is thought to induce muscle hypertrophy, by distinct mechanisms. The IGF1 receptor is a tyrosine-kinase receptor which induces cellular signal transduction chains by adding phosphate groups or “phosphorylating” specific proteins within the cell. Activation of the PI3K/AKT kinases cause phosphorylation of the FOXO transcription factors, which prevents them from entering the nucleus and promoting the expression of atrophic factors, like MuRF1. The AKT pathway (often called “PKB” instead of “AKT”) also inhibits the secretion of myostatin, thereby increasing both muscle cell differentiation, and protein synthesis.(ref) Myostatin inhibition results in a positive feedback cycle, since myostatin also inhibits the AKT pathway.(ref, ref) IGF1 also activates the mTOR pathway, which is well-known to play a central role in muscle growth. Apparently, PI3K activates mTOR by moving tuberous sclerosis complexes (mTOR inhibitors) from the membrane to the cytosol.(ref) (Independent of growth factors, amino acid availability, especially leucine, regulates mTOR activity, ref.) For a more detailed discussion of the AKT pathway, see: Akt: a nexus of growth factor and cytokine signaling in determining muscle mass
For an overview of transcriptional regulation of muscle growth/atrophy pathways,see: Anabolic and catabolic pathways regulating skeletal muscle mass
Until recently the exact roles of these pathways and their relationships to IGF1, the effects of resistance exercise (mechanical load/stretch), and developmental stage have remained mysterious. However, current research involving transgenic models is quickly unraveling these mysteries.

Mechanical Stimuli Activate mTOR Independent of IGF1.
It was observed that mechanical stimulation induced local expression of IGF1 and other growth factors.(ref) These were accompanied by an increase in kinase phosphorylation signaling, and muscle growth. It was logical to conclude that IGF1 activated the pathways responsible for muscle growth. Subsequent research has cast serious doubts on this conventional theory. In 2004, it was shown that mechanical stimulation activate mTOR growth pathways, completely independent of IGF1 and the PI3K/AKT pathway. Pharmacologically inhibiting PI3K did not alter activation of mTOR. These results were confirmed with AKT-knockout mice (which lack the AKT gene).
Mechanical stimuli regulate rapamycin-sensitive signalling by a phosphoinositide 3-kinase-, protein kinase B- and growth factor-independent mechanism.
“These surprising results indicate that mechanical stimuli are different from insulin-like growth factors in that mTOR-dependent signalling events are regulated via a PI3K/Akt1-independent mechanism. Furthermore, these results indicate that if mechanical stimuli regulate protein synthesis by the release of locally acting factors, then these factors must activate mTOR through a PI3K/ Akt1-independent mechanism. However, in both the co-incubation and conditioned-media experiments, the release of locally acting factors was not sufficient for the activation of mTOR-dependent signalling events, thus suggesting that mechanotransduction (e.g. mechanoreceptor) rather than ligand binding of autocrine/paracrine growth factors as the cause for the induction of the mTOR-dependent signalling events.”
These results were confirmed by a 2009 study, The role of PI3K in the regulation of mTOR following eccentric contractions:
“In summary, the results from this study indicate that resistance exercise contractions, such as ECs (eccentric contractions), activate mTOR through a PI3K–AKT-independent mechanism.”
In 2007, another transgenic study using mice with a negative IGF1 receptor (one that binds IGF1, but doesn't transduce signals) showed that the hypertrophic effects of mechanical load were NOT mediated by IGF1.(ref) “We demonstrate that IGF-I receptor-mediated signalling is not necessary for the induction of skeletal muscle hypertrophy in adult mice following a chronic increase in mechanical loading.”

The results of these studies have been further confirmed by a new transgenic study published last year. Researchers conclude, “Acute resistance exercise did not increase either IGF-1 receptor phosphorylation. . . [Furthermore] these data suggest that physiological loading does not lead to the enhanced activation of the PI3K/Akt/mTORC1 axis and that PI3K activation levels play no significant role in adult skeletal muscle growth.”(ref)

mTOR Causes Muscle Hypertrophy, Not IGF1
Additional studies have confirmed that mTOR plays a central role in muscle growth; but they also confirm that this happens independent of the PI3K/AKT pathway. A PI3K-independent Activation of mTOR Signaling Is Sufficient to Induce Skeletal Muscle Hypertrophy “In this study, we demonstrate that the overexpression of Rheb induces mTOR signaling through a PI3K/PKB-independent mechanism and that this event is sufficient to induce a robust and cell autonomous hypertrophic response. Furthermore, it was determined that the hypertrophic effects of Rheb occurred through a rapamycin-sensitive mechanism, that mTOR was the rapamycin-sensitive element in skeletal muscle that conferred the hypertrophic response, and that the kinase activity of mTOR was necessary for this event. Combined, these results strongly indicate that a PI3K/PKB-independent activation of mTOR signaling, in skeletal muscle, is sufficient to induce hypertrophy.” The researchers conclude by suggesting that muscle hypertrophy could be induced by the use of mTOR agonists.

What purpose, then, does IGF1 serve?
Obviously it serves many purposes. I would not presume to definitively answer this question. However, it does appear clear from experimental data that the proliferative role of IGF1 is limited to developmental growth and to regenerative repair. IGF1 is necessary for proper development and repair following injury. Young, developing mammals not only need IGF1 for proper development, but overexpression leads to increased growth. The same does not happen in adults overexpressing IGF1. From a transgenic study published in 2010: “In conclusion, these data show that adult non-growing skeletal muscles are refractory to hypertrophy in response to the elevated IGF-1. By contrast, growing muscles respond by activating signalling downstream from the IGF-1 receptor (demonstrated by phosphorylation of Akt, p70S6K) to increase protein accretion by the myofibres. Thus, the IGF-1-mediated hypertrophy evident in adult transgenic muscles results from enhanced increase in muscle mass mainly during the postnatal growth phase.” (ref)

Am I wasting my time and money on IGF1?
Yes. Anecdotes are not scientific evidence, no matter how loudly they are proclaimed. The previously accepted theory on the role of IGF1 in muscle hypertrophy has been reversed. Many are apparently slow to get the message. This should not come as a surprise to readers of this forum. I merely wanted to give a concise review of some of the recent, relevant literature. All currently available scientific evidence based on in vivo studies indicates that IGF1 plays no role in normal, exercise-induced muscle hypertrophy.

We need some actual human studies to know either way. Studies on mice and currently understood pathways might be limiting.

I'll just say one thing - I won't pay for IGF

We need some actual human studies to know either way. Studies on mice and currently understood pathways might be limiting.

I'll just say one thing - I won't pay for IGF

I think all of us here and in the scientific community would love to see a human study done, but I wont hold my breath. There are a lot of proven peptides out there that DO work - mod GRF 1-29, Ipamorelin, GHRP-2, and GHRP-6. From other readings, MGF seems to be as powerful or more powerful than HGH, but the dosage required puts the cost out of reach for practical applications.

I"m still very interested in MGF though and may look to run it for a month or so.

I've seen good reports of MGF being used for injured shoulders etc.

2mg/day for 5 days injected into the site. Should run you around $60 :)

The E-domain region of mechano-growth factor inhibits cellular apoptosis and preserves cardiac function during myocardial infarction.
Mavrommatis E, Shioura KM, Los T, Goldspink PH.
SourceCenter for Cardiovascular Research, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA.

Abstract
Insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) isoforms are expressed via alternative splicing. Expression of the minor isoform IGF-1Eb [also known as mechano-growth factor (MGF)] is responsive to cell stress. Since IGF-1 isoforms differ in their E-domain regions, we are interested in determining the biological function of the MGF E-domain. To do so, a synthetic peptide analog was used to gain mechanistic insight into the actions of the E-domain. Treatment of H9c2 cells indicated a rapid cellular uptake mechanism that did not involve IGF-1 receptor activation but resulted in a nuclear localization. Peptide treatment inhibited the intrinsic apoptotic pathway in H9c2 cells subjected to cell stress with sorbitol by preventing the collapse of the mitochondrial membrane potential and inhibition of caspase-3 activation. Therefore, we administered the peptide at the time of myocardial infarction (MI) in mice. At 2 weeks post-MI cardiac function, gene expression and cell death were assayed. A significant decline in both systolic and diastolic function was evident in untreated mice based on PV loop analysis. Delivery of the E-peptide ameliorated the decline in function and resulted in significant preservation of cardiac contractility. Associated with these changes were an inhibition of pathologic hypertrophy and significantly fewer apoptotic nuclei in the viable myocardium of E-peptide-treated mice post-MI. We conclude that administration of the MGF E-domain peptide may provide a means of modulating local tissue IGF-1 autocrine/paracrine actions to preserve cardiac function, prevent cell death, and pathologic remodeling in the heart.

Modelling in vivo skeletal muscle ageing in vitro using three-dimensional bioengineered constructs.
Sharples AP, Player DJ, Martin NR, Mudera V, Stewart CE, Lewis MP.
SourceMuscle Cellular and Molecular Physiology Research Group (MCMPRG), Institute for Sport and Physical Activity Research (ISPAR Bedford), University of Bedfordshire, Bedford, UK. [email protected]

Abstract
Degeneration of skeletal muscle (SkM) with age (sarcopenia) is a major contributor to functional decline, morbidity and mortality. Methodological implications often make it difficult to embark on interventions in already frail and diseased elderly individuals. Using in vitro three-dimensional (3D) bioengineered skeletal muscle constructs that model aged phenotypes and incorporate a representative extracellular matrix (collagen), are under tension, and display morphological and transcript expression of mature skeletal muscle may more accurately characterize the SkM niche. Furthermore, an in vitro model would provide greater experimental manipulation with regard to gene, pharmacological and exercise (mechanical stretch/electrical stimulation) therapies and thus strategies for combating muscle wasting with age. The present study utilized multiple population-doubled (MPD) murine myoblasts compared with parental controls (CON), previously shown to have an aged phenotype in monolayer cultures (Sharples et al., 2011), seeded into 3D type I collagen matrices under uniaxial tension. 3D bioengineered constructs incorporating MPD cells had reduced myotube size and diameter vs. CON constructs. MPD constructs were characterized by reduced peak force development over 24 h after cell seeding, reduced transcript expression of remodelling matrix metalloproteinases, MMP2 and MMP9, with reduced differentiation/hypertrophic potential shown by reduced IGF-I, IGF-IR, IGF-IEa, MGF mRNA. Increased IGFBP2 and myostatin in MPD vs. CON constructs also suggested impaired differentiation/reduced regenerative potential. Overall, 3D bioengineered skeletal muscle constructs represent an in vitro model of the in vivo cell niche with MPD constructs displaying similar characteristics to ageing/atrophied muscle in vivo, thus potentially providing a future test bed for therapeutic interventions to contest muscle degeneration with age.

In a nutshell, this study took samples of muscle tissues displaying the "aging" effect of muscles and basically grew it onto a 3D tissue model to undergo single axis stress/strain tissue testing. They hooked or clamped the tissue on either end into a machine that would apply force and stretch it. The stress and strain curves were mapped from these tissue types.

Tissues with a reduced IGF-I, IGF-IR, IGF-IEa, MGF mRNA showed a reduced differentiation/hypertrophic (muscle growth) potential in these tissues.

This study was more of a feasibility study for using engineered tissues as a test bed for therapies directed specifically at preventing muscle degeneration with age.

Mechano growth factor (MGF) promotes proliferation and inhibits differentiation of porcine satellite cells (PSCs) by down-regulation of key myogenic transcriptional factors.
Qin LL, Li XK, Xu J, Mo DL, Tong X, Pan ZC, Li JQ, Chen YS, Zhang Z, Wang C, Long QM.
SourceCollege of Animal Science/Guangdong Provincial Key Laboratory of Agro-animal Genomics and Molecular Breeding, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou, Guangdong, People's Republic of China.

Abstract
Porcine satellite cells represent an ideal model system for studying the cellular and molecular basis regulating myogenic stem cell proliferation and differentiation and for exploring the experimental conditions for myoblast transplantation. Here, we investigated the effects of mechano growth factor (MGF), a spliced variant of the IGF-1 gene, on porcine satellite cells. We show that MGF potently stimulated proliferation while inhibited differentiation of porcine satellite cells. MGF-treatment acutely down-regulates the expression of myogenic determination factor (MyoD) and the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21. MGF-treatment also markedly reduced the overall expression of cyclin B1 and key factors of the myogenic regulatory and myocyte enhancer families, including Myogenein and MEF2A. Taken together, the gene expression data from MGF-treated porcine satellite cells are in favor of a molecular model in which MGF inhibits porcine satellite cell differentiation by down-regulating either the activity or expression of MyoD, which, in turn, suppresses the expression of key genes required for cell cycle progression and differentiation, such as p21, Myogenin, and MEF2. Overall, our findings are in support of the previous suggestion that MGF may be used in vivo and in vitro to promote proliferation of myogenic stem cells to prevent and treat age-related muscle degenerative diseases.

Interesting

Impact of IGF-I release kinetics on bone healing: A preliminary study in sheep.
Luginbuehl V, Zoidis E, Meinel L, von Rechenberg B, Gander B, Merkle HP.
SourceInstitute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Drug Formulation & Delivery Group, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH Zurich), Zurich, Switzerland; Zurich University of Applied Sciences, Campus Reidbach, Waedenswil, Switzerland. Electronic address: [email protected].

Abstract
Spatiotemporal release of growth factors from a delivery device can profoundly affect the efficacy of bone growth induction. Here, we report on a delivery platform based on the encapsulation of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) in different poly(d,l-lactide) (PLA) and poly(d,l-lactide-co-glycolide) (PLGA) microsphere (MS) formulations to control IGF-I release kinetics. In vitro IGF-I release profiles generally exhibited an initial burst (14-36% of total IGF-I content), which was followed by a more or less pronounced dormant phase with little release (2 to 34 days), and finally, a third phase of re-increased IGF-I release. The osteoinductive potential of these different IGF-I PL(G)A MS formulations was tested in studies using 8-mm metaphyseal drill hole bone defects in sheep. Histomorphometric analysis at 3 and 6weeks after surgery showed that new bone formation was improved in the defects locally treated with IGF-I PL(G)A MS (n=5) as compared to defects filled with IGF-I-free PL(G)A MS (n=4). The extent of new bone formation was affected by the particular release kinetics, although a definitive relationship was not evident. Local administration of IGF-I resulted in down-regulation of inflammatory marker genes in all IGF-I treated defects. The over-expression of growth factor genes in response to IGF-I delivery was restricted to formulations that produced osteogenic responses. These experiments demonstrate the osteoinductive potential of sustained IGF-I delivery and show the importance of delivery kinetics for successful IGF-I-based therapies.

Interesting, they took IGF and encapsulated it in something to slow it's release.

Just curious if you have any links?

Taken from the DatBTrue forum, written by Dat and using his own experiments on himself. One 2mg vial of medical grade MGF, if ordered in bulk, is about $31/vial which would be $775 for 12 weeks. That is about on par (a little less) with the cost of HGH. This is very doable.

Until recently I was tempted to slide MGF into the category of factor that needed the interplay with IGF-1 and TGF-beta to be effective. In other words MGF by itself might be capable of proliferation but need IGF-1 at some point to differentiate these new cells. When you look at other repair factors you would come to the conclusion that IGF-1 is needed to finish things off or operate concurrently. But in a new study earlier this year we find that IGF-1 is not needed and that the ONLY combination needed is additional "treatment to activate satellite cells, such as exercise, since MGF does not seem to act on quiescent cells". In other words research indicates MGF can stand on its own and enhance the entire process from proliferation through to differentiation as long as there is an injury/exercise event included in this process.

From the DISCUSSION of Mechano Growth Factor E peptide (MGF-E), derived from an isoform of IGF-1, activates human muscle progenitor cells and induces an increase in their fusion potential at different ages, Prashanth Kumar Kandalla, Geoffrey Goldspink, Gillian Butler-Browne, Vincent Mouly, Mechanisms of Ageing and Development 132 (2011) 154–162

In our study, the MGF-24aa-E peptide induced hypertrophy of human myotubes, which was characterized by an increase in both the fusion index and the mean number of nuclei per myotube. Interestingly, the fusion index was higher in MGF treated cultured muscle from older subjects. We observed that the mean number of nuclei per myotube was drastically increased in the MGF treated cultures in our model of hypertrophy. In this study, we also observed that MGF, like IGF-1, was able to induce 58%, 51% and 61% increase in the amount of MyHC (Myosin Heavy Chain) when normalized to the nuclear envelope protein emerin in all differentiated cultures (neonatal, young adult and old adult). We investigated whether MGF-24aa-E could induce hypertrophy independently of increasing proliferation by treating differentiated cultures 3 days after the induction of differentiation, when no more cells are proliferating (Jacquemin et al., 2004). In the present study, we found that in these conditions, MGF-24aa-E was indeed able to induce hypertrophy of the myotubes in all of the cultures investigated. This hypertrophy included not only an increase in the size of the myotubes or in the number of nuclei, but also in contractile protein synthesis, as evidenced by the increase of MyHCs expression. Therefore, MGF, or more precisely MGF-24aa-E in this study, has in vitro an effect which resembles that described for IGF-1 (Adams and McCue, 1998; Vandenburgh et al., 1991).

Our data suggests that the MGF-24aa-E peptide alone is able to produce similar effects to IGF-1 by inducing an increase in the fusion index and in MyHC protein synthesis.

However, this is in contrast to previous studies [** They then give sound reason why previous studies were not able to go far enough.]

To further document the cellular mechanism involved in the human myotube hypertrophy after addition of the MGF-24aa-E, we counted the number of desmin positive reserve cells. Upon differentiation, cells adopt divergent fates – the majority progress down the well characterized differentiation pathway, involving the upregulation of MyoD, expression of p57 (marking the exit from cell cycle) and myogenin, and physical fusion to create post mitotic multinucleated myotubes (Bigot et al., 2009). The remainder of the cells escape differentiation, down regulates myogenic factors such as MyoD, and return to quiescence to form the so-called ‘reserve cells’ (RCs) (Baroffio et al., 1995; Kitzmann et al., 1998; Yoshida et al., 1998). Interestingly, we found that there was a higher number of these reserve cells in the old adult culture, probably reflecting different purity between the 3 cultures, and it can be speculated that as older muscle is less able to produce MGF (Hameed et al., 2003) these cells may be missing the effect of the MGF signaling. In our study, the percentage of reserve cells drastically decreased in the MGF-24aa-E treated cultures. A higher number were counted in cultures from old muscle but when MGF-24aa-E peptide was included this resulted in a significant decrease in the percentage of reserve cells, regardless of the original percentage of desmin positive reserve cells in the non treated cultures, and correlated with an increase in the number of nuclei per myotube and the fusion index. We propose that MGF, like IGF-1, may deregulate this equilibrium between ‘‘reserve cells’’ and the cells that are committed for fusion by recruiting these reserve cells into myotubes.

Thus, it is concluded that the unique C terminal peptide of only 24aa of the MGF isoform of IGF-1 has a marked ability to induce satellite cell fusion for muscle repair and maintenance. Administration of this peptide could provide a potential therapeutic strategy for treating age-related sarcopenia, particularly in combination with treatment to activate satellite cells, such as exercise, since MGF does not seem to act on quiescent cells, at least in rodents (Barton, 2006). Regime of administration and doses in vivo would have to be precisely defined so that it does not result in the eventual depletion of reserve satellite cells in the long term.

My Continued Notes on my Experiment

The question then becomes one of dosing. I am three weeks past my last high dose of peg-MGF and my strength in the gym on all lifts is continuing to increase and there is a subtle but noticable size increase in all muscle tissue but in particular the tissue that receives the most work. Surprisingly triceps have grown consistently despite no direct injects. The reason appears to be that they are continually receptive as they seem to work in almost all workouts (directly & indirectly). I am impressed to say the least. My body again is not in the best place for anabolism and yet I am getting strength and muscle gain directly attributable to high dosed peg-MGF. ...at this point I should say I am getting strength gains from prior peg-MGF use which likely means I am now reaping the benefits from proliferate->proliferate->proliferate->proliferate->differentiate into what is now maturation.

If it were not for the higher levels of histamine release post-MGF usage I would continue high dosed peg-MGF. Note I am very sensitive to histamine brought from all compounds so peg-MGF is not unique in that regard.

I would attribute my current success w/ this factor to several things. One the quality of the MGF. Two the high doses used. Three the micro-dosing in multiple sites per muscle group. Four the persistent medium term continual usage. I used high doses for several months straight. This sort of usage would require two vials (2mg each - 4mg total) per week for 12 weeks or roughly 25 vials.

I really think very few are willing to go to that extreme and cost although I wonder why not? Why should people pronounce something ineffective simply because they choose to use a few vials. Its not my concern because the facts reveal themselves to me at these higher doses. If I had the funds, the healthy body (which I don't have at this point) and the desire for more muscle (especially the over 45 years of age muscle) I wouldn't stop at 12 weeks. I'd continue to use the high dosed MGF at maybe 12 weeks on 4 weeks off. I'd also probably not ask for MGF to stand on its own in these cycles either but I can state that it does.

Top Bottom