Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Abstract: The Effects of Anabolic Androgenic Steroid Abuse on Gingival Tissues

Sassy69

This is sort of off the wall, but hey, knowledge is power...

http://www.joponline.org/doi/abs/10.1902/jop.2006.050389

Abstract
Journal of Periodontology
2006, Vol. 77, No. 7, Pages 1104-1109
(doi:10.1902/jop.2006.050389)

The Effects of Anabolic Androgenic Steroid Abuse on Gingival Tissues

Onur Ozcelik,* M. Cenk Haytac,* and Gulsah Seydaoglu
*Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Cukurova University, Adana, Turkey.

†Department of Biostatistics, Faculty of Medicine, Cukurova University.

Correspondence: Dr. Onur Ozcelik, Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Cukurova University, Balcali 01330 Adana, Turkey. Fax: 90-322-3387331; e-mail: [email protected].
Background: Anabolic androgenic steroid (AAS) is the familiar name for synthetic derivatives of the male sex hormone, testosterone. A large number of young adults abuse AAS to enhance performance and physical appearance. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of AAS abuse on the gingival tissues in a group of bodybuilders and weight lifters.

Methods: The test group was composed of 24 athletes aged between 17 and 29 years who had been using AAS for >1 year. All subjects were clinically examined for plaque levels (plaque index), gingival inflammation (gingival index), and gingival enlargement. The results were compared to a control group of 20 bodybuilders who had never used AAS drugs and who matched for age, educational level, and oral habits according to the data obtained from the test group.

Results: Although there were no statistical differences between the plaque index (P >0.05) and gingival index (P >0.05) scores of the study group and the control group, the AAS abusers had statistically higher scores of gingival thickness, extent of gingival encroachment, and total gingival enlargement scores (P <0.001 each) compared to non-users.

Conclusions: The results of this study have revealed that the prolonged use of AAS is closely associated with significant levels of gingival enlargement. Because recreational abuse and abuse in non-competitive sports seem to increase despite legislation, dentists and periodontists should be familiar with the adverse effects of these synthetic derivatives of testosterone on the gingival tissues.

This makes perfect sense. When you think about it who else would do this kind of research? You know how crazy the Turkish are about their gums.

what the hell is gingival enlargement exactly? And why is it bad? The only problems with my gums i have is that they are receding, which sucks. But i see no correlation between my AAS and my receding gums.

not the 1st time I've heard this. I read an article in MD last month about this sem problem. You need to have your teeth cleaned more often when using due to the gums increasing in size therefore creating a larger cuff around the tooth and gum line where food will deposit. if not cleaned out often it will eventually turn into perio. which rots the tooth and they fall out. not a dentist but my wife has been in dentistry for about 8 years now so I have some knowledge.

wonderful posts from this woman seriusoly I am being seriuos I have read alot of these articles she posted and they are very informational thank you Sassy69

Top Bottom