Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

michellerobison

I found this forum looking for weight training. when I was younger I was into gymnastics so was in pretty good shape. Held up pretty good ,135 pounds,until my mid 30's broken neck and broken wrist in car accident, then fought bone cancer, botched hysterectomy,where surgeon tied off kidney and I almost died... mid and late 40's immune system weak, kidney failure ,3 back surgeries and fighting pneumonia every winter.
I have broken the same 2 ribs 4 winters,up north here, in a row from caughing and pneumonia.
I've ballooned to a weight of 185 at a height of 5.6½ at age 47.

I walked 20 pounds of it off when I lived in Florida but moving back north,too cold,gained it back fighting pneumonia.

My husband started working out,he's 54. He started working out last April,I started working out too,just light weights and started to feel pretty good. Mainly we're wanting to get back into shape,it's just the two of us and watching others age..not so gracefully,scares us.
We don't have children to care for us in our old age...so it'll just be us and the dogs.

Hubby is building quickly,he used to lift before....he's so lucky...

I'm slowly toning,not loosing much weight,but things are jiggling less...

Hoping the metabolism will pick up..

I want to tone more , I 'm not looking for a competition figure but would like more tone.
I can bench,once or twice,depending on the day 125lbs . I do 115lbs eight times and finish 90 lbs ten times. All of this is mostly just to get into better shape so I don't get down sick again,it gets harder to fight back each time...

Trying to watch what I eat,used to be able to eat anything and not gain,now I can walk by iceream and gain .... Never had trouble until I had the hystorectomy,,they tied off my kidney ,I couldn't keep anything down for those 9 days,lost 35 pounds and it's like I'm starving all the time. My body is in theis survival mode that I can't shake. I have to eat alot or my head hurts and my stomache hurts and growls so loud,people can hear it.... need some filling foods that aren't fattening or empty calories...

I don't eat chips ,cakes,snack foods, fast foods,or fried foods,my weakness is bread and pastas..... I can try to fill up on fruits and veggies by my stomache will growl like a wild animal until it's gets some bread....

If I can just get past the bad bread thing,I think I can start making progress.

Anyone else fighting this?

Welcome to Elite, Michelle! Sounds like you've been through some tumultuous experiences, but you've also emerged out the other side in good spirits.

I think the best thing you can do to get a more specific opinion from the folks here, is to post your current exercise and nutrition routines. Our experts can then determine where improvements can be made.

Good luck with your journey!

I just looked at your homepage and you are an amazing artist! You're a pilot, too!! Amazing. We have alot of things in common; art, animals, and I'm planning on taking private pilot and instrument rating ground school in the spring.

You guys should take a look at Michelle's work, and other activities, here:
PictureTrail - Gallery

Wow ,posted a little bit about my ruitine or lack ther eof,its kinda hodge podge and for somereason it was abducted by aliens in cyber space...
I'll have to find it,or post again.

Welcome to Elite Michelle, i'm an artist i have some old paintings in my gallery i am setting up a studio to get back into it full time, I just love your work, Ok...on a serious note,I'm sorry you have had such a rough time,training and supplementation will actually build up your bones,muscles and Cardiovascular system not to mention your immune system .so lets start here,you need to eat 5-7 small meals per day each containing some Protein,Carbs and small fruit.Here is a list of super foods to get you started.
so you're hitting the weights hard but after a few months you get discourage because there hasn't been much change in your body,the first thing that comes to mind is "steroids" NO NO NO! Forget it!!!Why? Because you're doing something wrong that even steroids will not cure, the most anabolic substance you can put in your body is FOOD!But what food? Here i'm going to list 20 superfoods you can eat to burn fat and build soild muscle.
To build muscle & lose fat, you need a variety of proteins, veggies, fruits, carbs, and healthy fats. Eating Protein helps building & maintaining muscle. But it also helps fat loss: Protein has a higher thermic effect than carbs/fats.

Eating fats also helps fat loss: your body holds fat if you don’t eat fats. Fruits & veggies contain vitamins & minerals, necessary for recovery from your workouts. And carbs fuel your muscles so you feel full of energy at the gym.

Lots of you struggle to get these foods. Sometimes because you’re too busy or sometimes because you just lack information. This list will help you — 20 super foods you need to build muscle & lose fat.

1. Whole Eggs. Cheap & rich source of Protein: 7g/egg. The yolk contains most nutrients: half the Protein, vitamins A/D/E and cholesterol to naturally increase your testosterone levels.

Don’t worry about cholesterol in eggs. Dietary cholesterol isn’t bound to blood cholesterol. If you have bad cholesterol, lower your body fat rather than throwing the yolk away.

2. Fish Oil. Reduces inflammation (joints/skin), lowers body fat and increases testosterone levels. You need 9000mg EPA/DHA per day. Since you’ll probably struggle to get that from eating fatty fish, consider a fish oil supplement.

3. Wild Salmon. One of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids that also gets you 20g Protein per 100g serving. Farm raised salmon is, however, omega-3 deficient: it’s corn/grain fed. Go with wild salmon.

4. Berries. Strong antioxidants that prevent cancer, heart & eye diseases. Any kind works: cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc. Buy fresh or frozen berries and mix with oatmeal.

5. Yogurt. Contain bacteria that improve your gastrointestinal health. Don’t buy frozen yogurt or yogurt with added sugar and fruits at the bottom. Get plain low fat yogurt. Eat it with berries & flax seeds.

6. Flax Seeds. Source of fiber, Protein & omega-3. Grind the flax seeds to get the most out of them. Take 1 tbsp with yogurt & berries before going to bed. Stay away from flax oil: it’s unstable and contains no fiber.

7. Extra Virgin Olive Oil. 70% monounsaturated fats that protect against heart diseases and cancer. Add 1-2 tbsp olive oil to your salads. Buy Extra Virgin Olive Oil: it contains more polyphenols and tastes better.

8. Mixed Nuts. Contain mono- & polyunsaturated fats, proteins, fiber, vitamin E, zinc, potassium, magnesium, etc. Mixed nuts are caloric dense, great if you’re a skinny guy who wants to gain weight.

Anything works: almonds, walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, … Peanut Butter also works as long as you buy natural Peanut Butter without added salts/sugars.

9. Red Meat. Protein, vitamin b12, heme iron, zinc, creatine, carnosine and even omega-3 if you eat grass-fed beef. Eat steaks & hamburgers from top round or sirloin.

10. Broccoli. High in cancer-fighting phytochemicals and anti-estrogenic indoles. Broccoli is also high in soluble fiber and low calorie, helping fat loss. Eat other cruciferous vegetables for a change: cabbage, bok choy, cauliflower, kale, …

11. Spinach. One of the most alkaline foods. Spinach prevents muscle & bone loss, but also cancer and heart diseases because of its high nutrient profile.

12. Turkey. If you don’t believe saturated fat is good for you, try white turkey. The leanest beef has about 4.5g saturated fat/100g, while white turkey has close to 0g (that why it’s so dry). Eat turkey with spinach & quinoa.

13. Quinoa. South American “king of grains”. Quinoa is higher in fiber & Protein than rice or oats, tastes a lot better and is gluten free. Buy the whiter grain, it’s better quality. Eat it post workout with meat & spinach.

14. Oats. Reduce cholesterol, provide you with low-gi carbs for energy, and high in soluble fiber. Try this post workout shake of whey & oats.

15. Tomatoes. High in lycopene, which prevents cancer. The lycopene in tomato paste is 4 times more bioavailable than in fresh tomatoes. Have pizza or pasta with tomato sauce & olive oil post strength training.

16. Oranges. Vitamin C to fight diseases, magnesium to lower blood pressure, anti-oxidant beta-carotenes, etc. Quit drinking processed orange juice which often has added sugars. Eat oranges or make your own orange juice.

17. Apples. Pectin in apples helps weight loss by increasing satiety. Apples are also the strongest antioxidiant after cranberries (eat the peels). Unfortunately apples are one of the most pesticide-contaminated fruits. Go organic.

18. Carrots. Their huge vitamin A content improves eye-health, especially night vision. Carrots are also rich in fiber, low calorie and taste good, even raw.

19. Water. Your body holds water if you don’t drink enough. Drinking prevents water retention, helps muscle recovery and prevents dehydration from strength training. Get a brita filter and drink 2 cups of water with each meal.

20. Green Tea. Strong antioxidant and natural diuretic. Green tea also speeds up fat loss, prevents cancer and improves blood sugar & circulation. Drink green tea in the morning instead of coffee. Real green tea, not the teabags.teabags contain ground up leaves they dry out and alot of the nutrients are lost,get the whole leaves instead.

Putting it All Together. Eat proteins, veggies, fruits & fats every 3 hours. 2 cups water with each meal. Carbs post workout only. Junk food 10% of the time. Get stronger in the meanwhile and you’ll build muscle and burn fat!

so that you don't get carried away here's some important info-One of the key ways to maintain a healthy weight is to control your portion sizes. Research has shown that Americans often underestimate how many calories they are consuming each day by as much as 25%.

What Does Serving Size Mean?

Use the list below to gain a perspective on how much food a recommended serving size really is; it may be much smaller than you realize.

According to the USDA, 1 serving equals:

1 slice of whole-grain bread
1/2 cup of cooked rice or pasta
1/2 cup of mashed potatoes
3-4 small crackers
1 small pancake or waffle
2 medium-sized cookies
1/2 cup cooked or raw vegetables
1 cup (4 leaves) lettuce
1 small baked potato
3/4 cup vegetable juice
1 medium apple
1/2 grapefruit or mango
1/2 cup berries
1 cup yogurt or milk
1 1/2 ounces of cheddar cheese
1 chicken breast
1 medium pork ****
1/4 pound hamburger patty
A good guideline to help you understand portion sizes is to translate the abstract information represented by the serving size into something visual that's easily remembered. So instead of trying to memorize lists of ounces, cups and tablespoons, simply compare the serving sizes of particular foods to familiar physical objects. For example, a single serving of:

Vegetables or fruit is about the size of your fist
Pasta is about the size of one scoop of ice cream
Meat, fish or poultry is the size of a deck of cards or the size of your palm (minus the fingers).
Snacks such as pretzels and chips is about the size of a cupped handful
Apple is the size of a baseball
Potato is the size of a computer mouse
Bagel is the size of a hockey puck
Pancake is the size of a compact disc
Steamed rice is the size of a cupcake wrapper
Cheese is the size of a pair of dice or the size of your whole thumb (from the tip to the base)
The best way to determine the amount of food in a given serving is to look at the Nutrition Facts label and measure it out. Although this may not be practical or that much fun, if you are able to take the time, you will soon be able to "eyeball" the amount of food and know whether there is too much or too little.

For example, filling a measuring cup with the proper sized portion of vegetables, rice, etc. and then emptying it onto a plate will help you learn what these serving sizes look like. Take note of how much of the plate is covered; this will help you in the future, even if you only do it once. Simply by having and implementing this knowledge, you will have taken an important step in managing your weight.

Other ways of developing and maintaining proper portion control include:

At home
Use smaller dishes at meals.
Serve food in the appropriate portion amounts and don't go back for seconds.
Put away any leftovers in separate, portion-controlled amounts. Consider freezing the portions you likely won't eat for a while.
Never eat out of the bag or carton.
Don't keep platters of food on the table; you are more likely to "pick" at it or have a second serving without even realizing it.

At restaurants

Ask for half or smaller portions.
Eyeball your appropriate portion, set the rest aside, and ask for a doggie bag right away. Servings at many restaurants are often big enough to provide lunch for two days.
If you have dessert, share.

At the supermarket

Beware of "mini-snacks" -- tiny crackers, cookies, and pretzels. Most people end up eating more than they realize, and the calories add up.
Choose foods packaged in individual serving sizes.
If you're the type who eats ice cream out of the carton, pick up ice cream sandwiches or other individual size servings.
Learning how to eat is part of the battle.

RADAR

Thanks for the advise. I saved it. We eats a lot of broccoli,we love it. We grow it every summer. We steam it,no butter...I aslo love it cold,mixed w/ carrots and cauliflower as a snack.
The progress is slow on the weight loss but the progress isn't too bad on the building up strength. I've gone from benching 50 pounds to benching 125,so I guess it's not too bad for a middle aged broad...

Even if I don't see results as fast as I'd like,I do feel better. I figure,I didn't get out of shape over night,I won't get back into shape over night either.
I haven't taken supplemements and I wouldn't take steroids. I don't even like the ones I have to take if I get hives. I got hives from a thermogenic,so I avoid anything now even suppliments. My kidney's are in bad shape so I avoid I avoid as much medicine as possible. I probably should take vitamins but I try to get what I can in food...

Hubby and I have virtually eliminated sodas,mainly juice and lots of water. I drink more green tea in the winter than summer,kinda goes in spirts.
We don't eat fast food other than the occational pizza once a week. We don't like chips and fried foods since they quit using oils w/ transfats. That stuff actually tastes terrible to us now,so it was a good thing.
I do have a bad habbit of snacking on bread if I get hungry or a bowl of cereal,Cocoa Pebbles. I do reach for a snack cup of apple sauce first though,or any fruit first,cereal or bread is a last resort. I like to snack on sun flower seeds or peanuts too,unsalted.
Portions,wow I'm closer than I thought on those,we generally stick to meat ,about the size of the palm of the hand.I'm not a big meat eater,but one in a while I do crave it. We eat a lot of chicken and fish. I go in spirts on scrambled eggs too,no grease,just plop it on the non stick griddle and put it on salad,not a dressing person either,like my veggies w/o dressing,stuff tasted terrible...
We used to snack on ice cream at night,it's our shared vice... but we stopped doing that about a year ago.
I quit drinking chocolate milk,my other vice about a year ago,I tend to drink it at meals and as a little snack,so I quit totally. that really creeped up the weight.
I haven't lost much weight in the last 4 months but I can feel the muscles in my body growing,not hugely growing but firmer and I see less jiggle. I'm hoping to see less bulk/fat eventually.If we get the house sold and retire to Florida,we can be more active year round,I lost 20 pounds in 6 months,just being there.I walked almost everyday, 3-4 miles and swam in the pool and exersized in the pool. I ate more pizza and gelatos though... but I still lost weight since I was more active there. Here I spend most winters sick and inside. We have a weight room set up in the studio and we both look forward to work out day.
Helped Al's shoulder,rotator cup is bad,he really helped the pain of it by lifting. He's really buffing nice too,so he'll keep at it,I hope. We exercise together and that helps I think,but he wil do his whole ruitine w/o me if I have to be out of town....I can't say the same for me... I do the resistance bands though,on the days in between. I also do a lot of walking on busoness trips,I enjoy walking.
The resistance bands/EZ gym is on my hallway door,I pass it evertime I do to the computer room,so if I get bored or during commercials,I'll use it. It relaxes me. I use it a lot actually. If I can't sleep in the middle of the night,I get up and do a few.

I think we'll stick to it,we're alone no kids other than his grown son and he can't begin to take care for himself,so we can't count on him. We have to maintain our health,since it will be us ,alone... We're at that age where we're watching friends and relatives dying in their late 40's ,50's and 60's ,none of them exercise or eat right....same w/ my folks,400 pounds plus,diabetics....

We're thinner than most of our friends,even me at 178,weighed myself last night..

I just looked at your homepage and you are an amazing artist! You're a pilot, too!! Amazing. We have alot of things in common; art, animals, and I'm planning on taking private pilot and instrument rating ground school in the spring.

You guys should take a look at Michelle's work, and other activities, here:
PictureTrail - Gallery

You'll love flying,a great reason to keep in shape ,especially if you do multi engine training. You'll need strong legs for single engine work (engine out ) since you will really need to step on that opposite rudder to keep the plane flying straight on one engine.
I hated instrument at first,I like to look out the window and it gave me motion sickness under the hood,but I got used to it.
I love doing spin training,took a spin clinic for my renewal 2 years ago.

It's a hoot to taxi up to an airport and have the guys realize you're a female!
Have fun with it and let me know how it progresses...

Look for those hokey King schools (John and Martha King) flight tapes or dvds on Ebay,they're kinda campy but at least you get good info w/o falling asleep watching them. Some of those training tapes can be really boring....
Also Sporty's (sportys.com) has an on line FAA test prep tp get you ready for the FAA tests,they have a Study Buddy and an actual test you can practice on. You can get a book w/ all the figures for the FAA test (computer test figures book) online,it helps to have it while taking the test preps...I like Gleim red book test preps for studying.

I think RADAR's post was great.
One thing I will mention is try snacking on nuts instead of bread. Bread is horrible!

I just checked out your online catalogue. Just, wow. I love your designs!!!! I love how you really infuse so much creativity and artistry into your jewellery, in particular.
Really, jewellery fit for royalty, or at least a gorgeous woman straight out of a Rossetti painting.
Gorgeous work, you are really so very talented, much more so than all the jewellers in my town combined.

Top Bottom