Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Addicted to sugar?

Peprika

Sometimes I feel like the only thing that will make me feel better is sugar. I crave it ALL the time. It effects my mood if I do have it and also if I don't (if I don't I get emotional). Once I get my body clean and free of sugar (this is really hard, it's like withdraw!) I feel happier emotionally.... but as soon as I indulge in one little bit of chocolate or take a bite of a chip, back to the start. I've been dealing with this my entire life... I'm not an overweight person anymore, and I'd really like to keep it that way! Sometimes... I just feel so hopeless... like there is a power over my mind I can't control... my body literally trembles when I'm not getting my fix for too long and I can't focus or distract myself from thinking about it... I've found temporary solutions around it but I'm starting to fall back into the cycle... and I have been checked for diabetes, I don 't have any health problems doctors can see. What am I suppose to do???

Sometimes I feel like the only thing that will make me feel better is sugar. I crave it ALL the time. It effects my mood if I do have it and also if I don't (if I don't I get emotional). Once I get my body clean and free of sugar (this is really hard, it's like withdraw!) I feel happier emotionally.... but as soon as I indulge in one little bit of chocolate or take a bite of a chip, back to the start. I've been dealing with this my entire life... I'm not an overweight person anymore, and I'd really like to keep it that way! Sometimes... I just feel so hopeless... like there is a power over my mind I can't control... my body literally trembles when I'm not getting my fix for too long and I can't focus or distract myself from thinking about it... I've found temporary solutions around it but I'm starting to fall back into the cycle... and I have been checked for diabetes, I don 't have any health problems doctors can see. What am I suppose to do???

Do you eat enough complex carbohydrates? If you deprive your body of all carbs you will crave them intensely. FYI your brain runs on glucose exclusively, so you must provide it with sources of carbohydrates each day that will convert into glucose.
Oatmeal, sweet potatoes, brown rice etc. add more into your diet and see if that helps. NO MORE refined carbs at ALL right now- you cannot handle them. When you get cravings, have some fats- natural almonds fried in butter for example, or whole whipped cream on berries, or whole unsweetened yogurt.
I am another one who can't handle refined carbs- it triggers obsessive cravings in me too.

If it isn't in the house you can't eat it. When I get a craving I will search the cabinets at night for junk food, only to find my cabinets are full of health food. This cuts down on a lot of potential binging sessions.

RD

Your brain's addicted to sugar. And it will never stop being addicted unless you get off sugar. Probably you're also suffering some degree of insulin resistance.

the body can carry out glucogenesis with all the macros, not just carbs. You could actually go completely carb free and your body would "learn" to make glucose out of protein and fats. We're omnivores. We can potentially get everything we need for complete health without any carbs at all. I might suggest you try to go completely carb free for 30 days to break that physical addiction and only then reintroduce carbs, but in the form of exclusively low GI carbs.

And understand that if you ever cheat and eat something sugary, you immediately reignite that addiction again. There can be no sugar cheating.

I feel your pain and am so sorry you have to fight this battle! I too am a sugar addict and dont get in my way when I need a fix. It comes in many forms - my happy hour glass of wine, sometimes even too many vegetables at one sitting can send me into sugar hell. The only thing I do know is that when I was in super great shape, had a low bf percentage, my cravings were all gone! Now that I am fat and dont workout nearly as much, I cant get enough. My advice is to focus on your workouts, the more muscle you have the better your body will process sugar - not saying to have sugar - but your body will regulate your blood sugar and you wont crave. HTH!

I'm reading Gary Taubes "Why we get fat, and what to do about it".
It's very interesting, and worth a read for anyone questioning their weight as related to carb intake.
I am lucky in that I have never been fat, in fact I have always been much thinner than most, but I do have physiological and psychological motivations to go lower carb.
Specifically that I notice fatigue immediately after lunch. And I don't crave more rice after eating rice, but I am fairly hungry after dinner, even if it is a larger portion.
I have like 4 bowls of salad just to feel filled up. Maybe the rice is making me crave more food? I get lots of protein, mainly whole eggs,chicken and fish. I get more than enough healthy fats-like tons of raw almonds, fish and olive oil.
Currently for my carb intake I have 1/3- 1/2 cup oatmeal with a couple eggs for breakfast (depending on my energy expenditure the day previous and the day upcoming), and a 1/4-1/3 cup brown rice with chicken or fish for lunch and dinner. Dinner I can't really see myself avoiding brown rice too much or my husband will complain that I am obsessing too much over food. I consider that fairly low carb, but I am considering lowering that even more to see what happens.
Also, I have been fairly lenient with allowing myself carbs on cheat meals once a week such as pizza or bread with a sandwich. Now I am not so sure that is in my best interests. I mean I can put away the pizza, let me tell you. ;)
My dilemma is that I don't want to get too rigid about food, and I don't want to obsess over it- life is too short. But I do want to do what is best for my endocrine system so I can live at peak potential.
I don't do the six meals a day thing so don't even go there. I hate the feeling of always eating.

I've never thought that it could be Systemic Candida.... and even though I'm still almost sure that it is a Sugar Addiction... I can't just ignore this... I scored really high on this test here (thanks musclemom for the link) >>> (Wild Rose College and Wholistic Clinic)

The diet is strict, but I need a strict diet... I suppose I should give it a try.

I've never thought that it could be Systemic Candida.... and even though I'm still almost sure that it is a Sugar Addiction... I can't just ignore this... I scored really high on this test here (thanks musclemom for the link) >>> (Wild Rose College and Wholistic Clinic)

The diet is strict, but I need a strict diet... I suppose I should give it a try.
The one thing I must strongly emphasize, if you're going to do the diet you MUST, MUST, MUST, commit to adhering to it with absolute vigilance. Even one slip, one cheat day and you've literally driven yourself back to the very beginning, and now its worse because you've fed the strongest strains of the yeast.

Generally speaking, 90 days is the ticket, you don't need to live on it for life.

I also tell people if they score high on the written exam then they should do the "spit test" (yes, I know, revolting). If BOTH tests are positive then you need to consider the diet. If the one is high, the other isn't then it's sort of a false positive.

Definitely look into Nancy Appleton's books. That woman is an antisugar crusader :D

I agree with musclemom, once you commit you MUST be strict. Not following through on committments is habit forming. I am very careful/cautious about what I commit to because when I commit I am going to follow through.

Rebecca D

Top Bottom