Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What would be ideal for me?

z66x

What would be an ideal workout for me?

hey how's it goin. So first I'll introduce myself so you can get a full understanding of my situation: I'm 19, weigh about 150lbs, 6'0, I think of myself as what some people call a hardgainer or ectomorph. My goals are to gain mass and strength, I basically want to look and feel like Elliot Hulse (youtube guy). I feel that the routine that I am doing right now is not sufficient for my goals and I would like to get some advice from this forum.

Also one note, I used to use this forum when I was 16, and I got a lot of advice to do some routines like the 5x5, but I was not focused and I was not eating properly. So it was basically in one ear and out the other ear. Now I feel that I am much more focused and prepared to take on a routine that will help me reach my goals in the best way possible. Right now I'm doing a routine that I got from a friend who is very muscular that trains at my gym, but I'm feeling skeptical as I still am not seeing much muscle gains.

So the routine that I'm doing right now looks like this

Monday: Chest, Triceps
Incline Dumbbell press 3x12
Machine bench press 3x12
Pec Fly machine 3x12
skullcrushers 3x12
Pushdowns 3x12

Wednesday: Back, Biceps
Lat pulldowns 3x12
row machine 3x12
chest supported rows 3x12
another row machine (similar to those dumbbell rows) 3x12
reverse curls 3x12
curl machine 3x12

thursday i do chest and triceps again

saturday: shoulders/legs
seated dumbbell press 3x12
upright rows 3x12
cable pulls (forget what its called) 3x12

legs:
squats 3x8
leg extensions 3x8
leg curls: 3x8
calf raise machine 3x12

sunday: back and biceps again

Now, I'm reading a lot and I am really confused because this guy at my gym is doing this routine but I feel it isn't going to work for me. I've read that compound lifts are better for gaining mass and strength, but at the same time I feel like I should stick it out with this routine because I have only been doing it for a month. What are your opinions? Should I be doing a compound lift workout? Or should I stick to this?

compound lifts, compound lifts, and compound lifts

eat, eat eat eat and eat.

if you look around at your gym all the skinny guys are always doing isolation, and the jacked guys are doing compounds. next time you go to the gym look around and tell me i am wrong.. now before someone responds i am not saying i never do any isolation, however you being an undersized guy you should stick with the ABC's right now and stick to 90% compound lifts. the important thing is put in the hours in the gym but make sure those hours are spent wisely

know how many times i use 'machines' at my gym? NEVER.
most of your routine is machines.

2 links you need to read and follow closely are both in my signature below.. one is a bulking diet, one is a 3 day split routine. get on those and in 6 months you will be 20 pounds heavier guaranteed

compound lifts, compound lifts, and compound lifts

eat, eat eat eat and eat.

if you look around at your gym all the skinny guys are always doing isolation, and the jacked guys are doing compounds. next time you go to the gym look around and tell me i am wrong.. now before someone responds i am not saying i never do any isolation, however you being an undersized guy you should stick with the ABC's right now and stick to 90% compound lifts. the important thing is put in the hours in the gym but make sure those hours are spent wisely

know how many times i use 'machines' at my gym? NEVER.
most of your routine is machines.

2 links you need to read and follow closely are both in my signature below.. one is a bulking diet, one is a 3 day split routine. get on those and in 6 months you will be 20 pounds heavier guaranteed

Thanks for your reply, I will start doing your routine because it sounds a lot better than what I am doing and I could tell something was wrong with what I was doing.

As for diet this is what mine looks like

Breakfast:
I alternate between 5 eggs and a glass of milk or,
bowl of oatmeal with tablespoon of peanut butter and a glass of milk

2nd meal:
3 yogurts (each 100 calories)
2 cheesestrings (120 calories put together)
banana

Lunch:
Usually leftover dinner from the night before. Usually contains meat, rice or potatoes, and veggies

4th meal:
same as 2nd meal

5th: Dinner
usually always meat, rice or potatoes, veggies and a glass of milk

I'm also eating about 100g of -hickory smoked almonds- throughout the day. I'm also taking 'Precision - Big Time' Mass gainer.

sorry if I was supposed to post this in the diet forum, I am just trying to limit it to this thread but if it needs to move I will gladly do that.

Thanks for your time.:)

^^^ that diet you are on is why you are skinny

all that milk, shakes are just gonna make you feel full. gotta eat real food.

breakfast you need to eat more than oatmeal and a glass of milk.. again thats what a 12 year old girl would eat for breakfast. eat like a man.

how bout 3 pancakes and 4 eggs with ezekial bread instead? now that is a bulker breakfast.

should I be eating 5 meals just like that, daily? usually when I eat 5 eggs I feel full, how do I get around this? It takes me a long time to eat because I try to chew my food thoroughly otherwise I end up with painful indigestion. I forgot to mention that I am working full time, 8 hours right now during the slow season but when it picks up usually 10 hours a day. should I be eating even more because I'm standing all day?

as you get older you will be able to eat more without feeling full.. you are only 19.. just be patient and good things will happen. if something gives you indigestion than don't eat it anymore.. if something makes you feel full then don't eat it anymore.. learn to eat the foods that work for you.

as far as work we all work man.. you are gonna need to figure out a way to eat on your breaks... pack your food etc.

Yeah that's true. I usually get enough breaks throughout the day to eat lots, I am just really not dedicated at the diet thing I don't care for eating that much, but like you've been saying what needs to get done, needs to get done and it will.

so for workout I'm thinking this"

Monday: push
Barbell Bench press
incline dumbbell press
dummbell pec flys
maybe a military press or seated dumbbell press for shoulders?
skullcrushers
either extensions or pushdowns
id like to fit some dips in there too

tues: pull
pullups
rows
lat pulldowns
maybe a back machine
don't really know any other good iso exercises for the biceps other than curls or reverse curls

wed: legs
squats
leg extensions
leg curls
calf raises
not sure any other good leg exercises, maybe alternate deadlifts

and I guess I should plan out a diet because I work better if I can follow some kind of schedule

breakfast:
3 pancakes, 4 eggs

11am get to work snack on almonds for 2 hours

1st break 15 mins: sandwich and yogurts? and fruit

snack on more almonds before lunch break

lunch: leftovers from dinner night before

3rd break: more yogurts, maybe another sandwich and fruit

dinner: whatever my parents make

I also still have most of the mass gainer left, it's got creatine in it. don't really know what else to add to that, my cooking abilities are pretty limited.

^^^ diet looks better but still not there

let me make it more simple for you... every meal you have needs to contain calories/carbs/protein/vitamins. example is chicken, brown rice, sweet potato OR grassfed steak/mixed veggies/wheat pasta

your issue is you don't seem to love food and like you said you don't cook... i would learn to cook.. buy a george foreman or just stick your chicken/steak into the oven and bake it.. very easy.

they sell in health food stores brown rice in packages already cooked, all you need to do is re-heat... veggies they sell those packs that you just stick in boiling water. so you need to learn how to do what i am saying and not depend on your parents to feed you .. honestly its gonna be easier once you move out of your parents house.. i can remember when i moved out is when i really started gaining weight

alright so every meal is meat/potato or rice/veggies, got it. I'll head to the local supermarket or maybe even cook up some of the chicken/steak/meat my parents have in the freezer and take that during the day to work. Portion size is obviously done by protein/carbs/cals, how much do I need per meal? cause right now my diet is just shooting for 3000 calories a day.

Top Bottom