Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Olympic Lift Question

Mjollnir

I have been training for a number of years with a HIIT program that's a cross between powerlifting and BB, primarily because I like it, and for Judo.

Just for fun, Last week I tried both the clean & jerk and the snatch, and realized that I have really been missing something. In other words, I SUCKED.

I am 6'3", 225-230, deadlift 500x3 and squat 275 for reps (25+), but realized that I am severely lacking in true stabalizer strength and technique. When I tried the snatch with 2 35's I just about ruptured my groin and fell over backwards. Talk about a system shock!

My question is: any recommendations about (a) starting out (b) correct technique and aquiring it (c) online resources specifically for Olympic lifting.

To all those who haven't tried these two lifts but fancy themselves fit or strong, I recommend a little lesson in humility and to try them out. I have learned, in short order, that lifting strength has nothing to do with controlling strength, and what a lesson it has been.

Thanks to all who answer.

Mjollnir,

If you can find someone in your area who already does these lifts to help you out. I recently started doing these lifts but have the benefit of one of my friends being a certified olympic style coach. Have made some pretty good progress so far and hope to keep going. Not sure of any online resources but know there are olympic training manuals out there. Will ask mmy friend tomorrow and see if he knows any sites that could be helpful to you.

Also like the login, have the hammer tattooed on my back and a depiction of thor and the midgard serpent around my right leg. Figure you might know what I am talking about.

Cheers,
Scotsman

Thanks for the replies and input.

I can definitely see that supervised training and coaching would help immensely with this kind of lifting, if for nothing else than to avoid lifting incorrectly and killing myself.

also, I have found that www.dragondoor.com offers Russian kettlebells (and training techniques) for one-armed snatches and c&j's.

I already use their ab and stretching techniques, so I may combine their KB's with my nascent attempts at learning OL.

Thanks again, and I repeat: to anyone who hasn't seriously considered trying OL for a bit, try it. It was an eye opener to a serious apeture in my regime that is lacking in real, functional strength. The snatch is the most difficult lift I have ever encountered, DL included.

I am not good at the olympic lifts either. Try doing the clean and jerk with a log though..wow...talk about tough. Hands are palms facing.

B True

Top Bottom