Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Not really understanding Needsize's 5x5 routine

Heahy Minister

First off I'm just asking a q so please don't take this post as offensive.

I've read up on the 5x5 routine and am not really understanding it all. I understand the routine, but don't fully understand the concept you can say.

Basically you pick a weight (a weight challenging enough for your 5th set to eek out 5 reps), do 5 sets at 5 reps each at that SAME weight throughout, then each week you up the weight.

What I don't get is that the first 2-3 sets you are essentially not challenging your body because if at that 5th set you can muster out 5 reps, the sets before you can probably get much more reps out but are stopping at only 5 reps.

The first set you could probably get out a good 12 or so reps lets say, but stop at 5. So you're not really challenging your body at all for that first set. What exactly are you doing to your body for this first set if you stop prematurely at 5 when you can get out more reps? It would seem that you simply tire out your body, but you don't really "push it".

The second set you can probably muster out around 10 or so, but stop again at 5 so you are quitting the set before any real challenge to your body is imposed.

Wouldn't it be safe to say that really the only sets you are challenging your body is the 4th and 5th? It seems like the first 2-3 sets are sort of warm-ups, if at all since they are so few reps.

This is not what I'm understanding. No flame or offense intended. Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say?

It works. I did it I think last winter when I was just trying to bulk up, and it definitely put some good size on me.

You don't need to train to failure on every set to make good gains. Also, just because a set isn't all out doesn't mean it has no benefit - you could hit those sets explosively.

Its works. I've been doing 5x5 for about 5 months now. Love it!

And wanted to say thanks to Needsize for bringing it to our attention.

its all about the progressive resistance, if you keep adding weight every week to the bar, failure or not you will grow. I've been doing the same thing since my show, but with only 2 sets of 6-8 reps. I've continually added weight every week, and although they werent really to failure, i've grown like crazy, and my strength levels are pretty much the highest they've been, with no end in sight.
Moral to this story, set/rep scheme isnt really that important, the key is progresssive resistance

I understand what you are saying... and thanks for the comments.

Can't you also go with progressive resistance with a typical pyramiding down set scheme (ie 12, 10, 8, 6, 4) and still add a bit of weight every week?

I'm definitely going to try your routine Needsize. I like it the positive feedback I've read and hope you didn't mind the q's.

needsize said:
its all about the progressive resistance, if you keep adding weight every week to the bar, failure or not you will grow. I've been doing the same thing since my show, but with only 2 sets of 6-8 reps. I've continually added weight every week, and although they werent really to failure, i've grown like crazy, and my strength levels are pretty much the highest they've been, with no end in sight.
Moral to this story, set/rep scheme isnt really that important, the key is progresssive resistance

Very true BNeedsize. BUT, i've never been able to continually add weight like i can on 5x5. Hardly a week goes by that i dont set a PR on my main compounds. Theres just no end in sight man! I love you man!

just started the 5x5 routine last week and i love it. i was overtraining before and using this i get a great pump and walk out of the gym feeling good. the workouts arent too long so its great. ive decided to post my 5x5 workout. any comments appreciated.

monday - chest and triceps
5x5- flat bench db press
2x8 incline bench db press
2x8 flat bench db flys
2x8 dips for chest
---
5x5 behind the neck db pullover
2x8 skullcrushers
2x8 pulldown tricep machine

tues - shoulders
5x5 - seated military db press
2x8 front raises
2x8 shrugs
2x8 (either upright rows or side raises)

wed - off

thurs - back and biceps
5x5 seated rows
2x8 pullups
2x8 deadlifts
2x8 (either t bar row or close lat pulldowns)
---
5x5 standing curls
2x8 cable pull ins for biceps
2x8 icarian bicep machine

fri - off

sat - off

sun - legs (quads hams and calves) (taking it easy on legs until off season for sports)
5x5 - squats
2x8 barbell lunges
5x5 hamstring curl machine
2x8 good mornings
5x15 standing calf machine

:p :p :p :p :p :p

Top Bottom