Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Building traps

mwitt32

Hi I've been really athletic, sense 2007 I've been on the wrestling team and for the past year I've been trying to gain mass but I can't build my traps. Can anyone help me out?

Thank you.

I hit heavy shrugs
305 -350 for reps then back door it with high reps with plates in my hands like 50 reps high
Right after my 10-15 with the weight

Works wonders for me

Ima move this to weight training and lifting section see if u get more hits there ...

Dead lifts hit traps more then anything for me. I like to do heavy db shrugs and do a little 3 stop tempo. Up halfway stop up all the way stop down halfway stop down all the way stop and repeat

Good stuff Evan!

Reminds me also I like to throw some quick reps and slow and controlled ones in 5 fast 5 slow and controlled with squeeze at top! Also like to do a drop with db starting at 120all the way down to 50

Gotta do that early am when the gym is not packed though need the whole rack !!

+1 on Deadlifts. I haven't shrugged in years and my traps definitely aren't lacking. If you are going to throw in shrugs to more attention just make sure you're straight up and down. None of this rolling the shoulders.

As the others have mentioned lots of heavy and light weight shrugs, deadlifts and upright rows. For shrugs you want your shoulder blades to your ears... up and down and never roll your shoulders. Use a mix of barbell, db's and cables. Really squeeze and use a slow rep speed and hold at the top. Just mix it up... I like to hold it at the top for 3 secs (squeeze) so 1 rep may last 6 secs or so. You want to go heavy but don't go too heavy as form is critical and you really need to squeeze at the top (notice I repeated that a lot).

Ever tried a Trapbar for dealifts? I cant really say it works, but there is a major difference in how your traps feel with the difference between the 2 bars. Also called diamond bar, step in bar, etc.....

The lift with it really hits the traps, which I think is why its called a trap bar.

Thanks for the tips. I've never really known what to do on traps. I do a lot of really close grip chins, and all kinds of close grip chin variations. I've played around with the heavy shrugs, and light. Now I'll know to do both, all, and try everything I can. Been wondering about reps above 15 though, thanks.

Top Bottom