Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is it better to train triceps with chest OR biceps??

Pikaberdot said:
That's pretty interesting....
Sort of similar to mine:

Chest/Back (days 1+4)
Triceps/Biceps (days 2+5)
Shoulders/Traps/Legs (days 3+6)
Day 7 - Rest
damn that's a lot of lifting. are these full-intensity workouts? your ability to recover must be top-notch.

triceps done as assistance with chest exercises... keep the tri lifts down because if you've already gone heavy on chest (pressing) your tri's are going to be bombed out already... and triceps (arms for that matter) are much smaller muscles which require MUCH less load... more is not better here - more is worse.
PS: if you've done alot of pressing in any case, as blut said, it's probably better to drop tricep exercises altogether. or backoff sets of CGBP is a good idea after chest.

blut wump said:
Drop the triceps isolation exercises, they're holding you back.

Not that I have big arms... but they are bigger now than they have ever been and I've done exactly that: drop the triceps isolation exercises. I think a lot of people have a hard time trusting the advice because they see people doing rope pushdowns and one arm cable extensions all over: magazines, and websites, and in the gym. If one guy happens to be big and doing cable extensions in the gym, people see him and think: "Ah ha, so *that's* how he got big!"

My advice is that your 'tricep' training should be 3 sets of close-grip benching on your pressing days. Work on constantly increasing the weight, even if just by 5 lbs per week. If you put 30 lbs onto your close grip in 2-3 months and you're eating above maintenance, I can promise your triceps will have grown.

i would say if your training for strength i would do chest/tris in the same day. only do a few sets of tri's to ASSIST your chest training. maybe 2 sets of skull crushers and 2 sets of pushdowns...4-6 reps. heavy benches breed big triceps not the other way around.

if your training like a bodybuilder i would always do bis/tris together b/c your object here is not strength but muscularity. i got enormously strong lifting chest/tris when i was younger....but hey...everyone is different right?

Smurfy said:
damn that's a lot of lifting. are these full-intensity workouts? your ability to recover must be top-notch.

Always full intensity.

Must be the 3 huge scoops of peanut butter + glass of milk right before bed every night :)

Pikaberdot said:
Always full intensity.

Must be the 3 huge scoops of peanut butter + glass of milk right before bed every night :)

Damnnn that's crazy. Do you take any weeks off/deload??

If he's using relatively light weights (which I assume he is given that schedule) he wont need to deload... yet.

Best triceps exercises imo, dips with 5 plates on your hips and closegrips with double bodyweight.. if that doesnt do much then I suggest lots of one arm kickbacks (with a twist of the pinky at the top to bring out the detail in the muscle)

Pikaberdot said:
I *never* train triceps + chest on the same day.... I think that if you do, you aren't getting all you can out of both muscle groups.

Ex - You will be fatigued before you should be on the bench if you do tricep isolation excercises first. Or if you do the bench first, then you will be fatigued before you should on the tricep isolation excercises.

i dont really agree with that

i do my Tri's after my chest, and by them my tri's have warmed up and are ready to do some serious isolation presses

Top Bottom