Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Back Pain from basketball injury/MRI results/Help needed for exercise regime

Waller123

I sustained an injury 4 years ago (i'm 22 now) playing basketball which has triggered minor scoliosis in my back. Does anyone know of any good exercises i could do to help strengthen the muscles around the spine in an attempt to re-align my spinal cord? thanks

Here are the results from my MRI scan if anyone can take the time to read it and tell me what would be a good exercise regime for overcoming my condition.

-The cerebellar tonsils are normally situated. The cervical cord is of normal calibre and signal. There is loss of the normal cervical lordotic curve. Early disc degeneration from C3 to C7.

- C3/C4, C4/C5 & C5/C6 - Mild posterior disc bulges. No neural impingement. The vertebral heights are maintained. No marrow or soft tissue oedema. There is an 18mm diameter hyperintense nodule in the inferior aspect of the right thyroid lobe.

Thoracic Spine:
-Scoliosis convex to the left inferiorly. Vertebral heights are maintained. No marrow or soft tissue oedema. No evidence of accelerated disc degeneration or previous Scheuemann's disorder. No extradural abnormality.

-From T9 to T11 there is prominence of the central canal of the cord maximum at T10. This has a maximum diameter of 2mm.

Lumbo-Sacral Spine:
-The conus medullaris appears normal and terminates at T12/L1. No intrinsic abnormality was seen in the cauda equina.

-Tilt of the upper lumbar spine

Don't know if this helps anyone understand my condition. Any thoughts of what i could do to aleviate the pain? My back is killing me these days, seems to be getting worse.

Last edited:
Your MRI results don't really sound all that significant other than a curvature in the middle of your back. The stuff in your cervicle region (disk degen) are all a part of aging and there isn't much you can do (other than keep hydrated to slow it down). What was your original injury? Did you have this scoliosis when you were a kid? The area of your back that is a problem doesn't have much movement to begin with, but I suppose keep up with extensions, rows and pull downs to keep back strong. I am not sure if these will correct your malalignment though. You may need a surgical repair (but check with your doctor...perhaps I'm over-simplifying or misreading your results.)
Best of luck!

I never had back trouble until this incident. I was going up for a shot on the basketball court and was charged from the side. Felt a bit of a crunch. So the rows and lat pulldowns would help?

Last edited:
no sig. findings in the MRI report?? Did you miss the 3 bulging cervical discs? Degeneration is a part of aging, but should not be seen at age 22! If you dont take care of these problems now they will only get worse. Your only 22 and your MRI is that of someone in their 50's. Please ignore sasharawkz, surgery would not be an option in your case unless the scoliosis is quite significant. What is the curvature in degrees? You need to see a chiropractor and a physical therapist to address these problems fully. There are many things you can do to control your pain and help prevent furthur degeneration.

side note-- even though your 3 bulging discs are asymptomatic (not putting pressure on any neural elements) they may lead to accelerated degeneration.

Could someone tell me some exercises i could do to strengthen my back. The degenerated discs in my neck are caused by another injury i had as an 11 yr old landing awkwardly on my head on a trampoline but my back is the main source of pain.

The othopaedic surgeon said the curvature is mild. 10 degrees i think he said

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be giving bad advice. I missed the age 22. :oops: I don't think I said surgery was THE option. I suggested he consult his physician. 10 degrees isn't bad but you MUST continue to monitor it for any changes. I agree with the comment about visiting a chiro and PT. Make sure you do both to compliment each other. When disks begin to degenerate, you cannot turn back time and regenerate them. But you can slow/stop the process of further degeneration. Making sure musculature remains balanced on both sides will help. Your PT can set up a program for you.

sasharawkz said:
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be giving bad advice. I missed the age 22. :oops: I don't think I said surgery was THE option. I suggested he consult his physician. 10 degrees isn't bad but you MUST continue to monitor it for any changes. I agree with the comment about visiting a chiro and PT. Make sure you do both to compliment each other. When disks begin to degenerate, you cannot turn back time and regenerate them. But you can slow/stop the process of further degeneration. Making sure musculature remains balanced on both sides will help. Your PT can set up a program for you.

Sasharawkz is right on...go see a doc, i cant, or i doubt anyone else can either, recomend an exercise program without performing an exam. 10 degrees curvature at 22 isnt too significant, you are most likely skeletaly mature so there shouldn't be too much more increase in the scoliosis. So with that said, now would be the best time for some rehab.

Thanks for the info guys. I've lined up an appointment with my local physio tomorrow who hadles sporting injuries. I hope he can give me some exercises that target the mucles imbalances in my back and help me to overcome this pain. As for the degeneration in the neck, would exercising the surrounding muscles help alleviate the mild pain in this region or do i have this pain forever (its not very bad pain-wise in this area, the back is the main issue at the moment).

Top Bottom