Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

powerlifting or bodybuilding?

which, from the two would you say is better for gaining muscular bodyweight.
powerlifting: reps 4-6 on big 3(sometimes doubles) with one or two supporting exercises per session
or
bodybuilding: reps 8-10 on every lift with 2-3 exercises per bodypart

what do you think is better for gaining weight(muscle now guys, not fat!)
sorry, but some of you powerlifters look like shit!

To address your final point first......alot of powerlifters do carry a decent amount of fat. However, if you look at the lighter weight classes there are some good physiques around. BTW even the top level bodybuilders gain alot of weight out of season....thats what Ronnie Coleman and Lee Priest do to name two. Maybe it is the out of season bodybuilder that you should be comparing powerlifters to. BTW my pics are up on the mens pics boards and members boards (on the thread of members pics). Take a look.....I'm interested to get bodybuilders responses purely because of this attitude that many people on this site have about powerlifters physiques.

In your other point, I assume both types of lifter have whatever drugs available that they want? I dont think you can beat powerlifting to gain thick dense muscle. Go to a powerlifting meet and you will see what I mean.

You can get big through bodybuilding.....that is a large part of the game. But, it is becoming rare to see a bodybuilder with truly dense musculature (Yes I know there are exceptions). This was never a problem when bodybuilders had to demonstrate some physical ability back in the days of Franco etc.

Welsh power house said:
which, from the two would you say is better for gaining muscular bodyweight.
powerlifting: reps 4-6 on big 3(sometimes doubles) with one or two supporting exercises per session
or
bodybuilding: reps 8-10 on every lift with 2-3 exercises per bodypart

what do you think is better for gaining weight(muscle now guys, not fat!)
sorry, but some of you powerlifters look like shit!

Last edited:
I am getting ready for a meet on the 25th myself and I have done nothing but squat, bench and deadlift for nearly the last 5 weeks. My bodyweight has gone up as have my lifts and I have not gone over 5 reps in 8 weeks.

Also keep in mind that powerlifting is about the WEIGHT pushed, it aint a physique contest. Although, guys like Glen Chabot, Tony Conyers, Ed Coan, J.M. Blakley have the best of both worlds.

A t-shirt worn backstage at this weekends WPO meet read "Friends dont let friends BODYBUILD" with a big NO symbol going thru a sihouette of a guy doing a front double bi. ha!

Imnotdutch, i am not saying all powerlifters are fat, far from that. I think ronnie looks better off season, he has some serious size, and i hate the ultra cut look myself.
I am training to put on some serious mass, i do a routine which is a mix of powerlifting and bodybuilding, i have a bench, dead and squat day, but also 5 other lifts each day(bodybuilding movements, with good form)
thanx 4 the answers guys!

bro, i cant find your picture, copy and paste the address to me and i will let u know what i think.....

In your other point, I assume both types of lifter have whatever drugs available that they want?

na, i am natural and was talking about natural BB or PL

I havent been training long.

Started out body building style and my strength/body was going no where.

Changed to a compound movement only program with:
bench
squat
dead
pullup

and some small exercises if i needed them (eg farmers walk, good mornings and stiff leg deads) on the compounds no more than 6 reps.

it was a real shock to my system.......
I can really tell how much of a difference it made.
It looks like i have no sholders because my triceps over power them (i did no tricep extensions just bench press)
I have put at least 1-1 1/2 inchs on my thighs.(no shit. Drug free as well) it has only been two months.
the gains will slow down i guess.

So im going to say powerlifting.

i cant remember the issue date......but its a powerlifting USA. the one with westside barbell on the cover.
buff as fuck.

Top Bottom