Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bar extensions

bigokie

I was doing barbell extensions today. After doing them I got to wondering about them. When you guys do them, does it look more like a JM/extension to your chin? This is what mine looked like. I read Dave's article that you should keep your elbows tucked, so this is what I did. It seemed to work well. I was just wondering what you guys thought about this.

If we do any barbell extensions, it's always to the chin. It feels like it hits the tri's better. I like to use a slightly less than shoulder width grip. As far as the JM's, PLJay will lift his chin as high as he can and almost touch.

That is what mine look like too. My elbows move on my extensions, but the bar moves in an arc. When I do JM's, the elbows move more than on extensions, and the bar moves in a straight line. When doing extensions, I go to the chin, when doing JM's I go to the upper chest.

B.

IMHO. Barbell extensions to the chin hit the tricep hard right above the elbow (like Tate's). Barbell extensions to the forehead or behind the head hit the upper tricep hard because of the more pronounced stretch. JM's allow you to use your shoulders a bit more so you can handle bigger weights. The movement involves strict extension & pressing. I like to mix them up. Anyone agree/disagree?

as long as your triceps get stronger and bigger who gives a shit?

yes my extensions do get "sloppy" (my elbows move)
but my bench is getting bigger and so are my ME exercises.

we will call them "big okie press"

my training partner has this sorta blur between what is an extension and what is a JM and the area in between, but like endpoint said..."as long as your triceps get stronger and bigger who gives a shit?"

I agree with you guys. I guess as long as your arms get stronger they must be working. And they seem to work better for me than JM's, when I can do them. The extensions make my elbows ache. Oh well. Last week did 6x8 with 30 seconds rest with 115. Today did 155x2x5, then 185x2x3. They are definately working as my arms are already sore.

big okie....have you tried them using chains? (barbell extensions)

when i do them on the floor I reduce the weight to allow for the chain. hook up some chain.

you can feel more strain on the higher parts of the movement and less on the bottom and less strain on the elbow

with JMs i struggled for a little while trying to find the correct hand spacing. once i found it....i t made the exercise ummmm i guess valid (it actually could contribute to my bench press i guess) they are nice for a change and i try to include them into my rotation.

do you have the same form with your extensions when you do them light compaired to a heavy set?

No shit? I always brought my bar extensions to the forehead! I guess I need to start doing them to the throat and neck area instead. I just ordered the bench press secrets video, so hopefully I will learn all of the westside permutations of these exercises.

What kind of weight can you guys do with BB extensions vs. DB extensions? I can use 145 for 4 sets of 10 (1min rest periods) but can only use 45lb dumbells on the rolling extensions for the same parameters. However, I can do 4 sets of 10 with 55lbers on the elbows out ext. These are all on a flat bench with no chains etc.

Any of you 80's lifters will remember Ted Arcidi...he did a extension, jm press type movement, and this is how i have allways done them! It mimics the pressing movement more to me! I even do them laying on the floor and chains on the bar, or will do them with the bands hooked to a dumbell under the bench! Great tri work!

Top Bottom