Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

GSP's Better late than never 3X5...

GSP

I'm finally taking the plunge and Starting Mark Rippetoe's 'Starting Strength' program. At 32, I'm figuring it's time to at least build a balanced foundation to work with. I only wish I'd been exposed to these Core lifts when I was 17, and growing like a weed just from eating, and doing Bench Press, Leg Extensions, and 17 variations of curls. I've been running marathons for the past couple of years, though I'll be stopping most of my running for the first few months just give my body a chance to adjust.

I've already been running the exercises in SS for about 2 months, but only 2X per week instead of 3 and with no squat progression attempted, as I've been recovering from some running related injuries. I'll also have to drop BB Bench in favor of DB. I think I'm finally over the hump now, and will start adding weight, and switch to the program's 3X workout in another week. The only modification I've made is to sub DB bench press in place of BB, due to some shoulder impingement issues I have, and Pendlay rows for Power Cleans for lack of coaching available on the latter.

Beginning stats:

5'11"
175 lbs.
BF - 13-15%

My starting point on each exercise will be:

ATG Squats: 3X5 X 130 lbs. (this is 45 pounds lighter than my previous 5 rep Max, but I'd rather ease back into this rather than kill my groin again)
DB Bench: 3X5 X 60's
Pendlay Rows: 3X5 X 140

Standing Press: 3X5 X 105
Deadlift: 1X5 X 190

I'm dialing in my diet for about 1lb a week in body weight gains initially, I'll adjust up or down depending on how that seems to work after a month or so.

I probably won't log a workout by workout journal, but will bump this thread and report overall progress every week or two, and whenever I start hitting some sticking points on the various lifts, which will hopefully be later rather than sooner!

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing some progress. Rip's program is a great starting point.

At 32, I'm figuring it's time to at least build a balanced foundation to work with. I only wish I'd been exposed to these Core lifts when I was 17

My sentiments exactly. If I'd been doing 5x5 w/ basic lifts back when I had that youthful hormonal profile, I'd like to think I wouldn't have graduated a spindly 135. LoL You and I have roughly the same stats--fairly tall, lean (nice way of saying skinny), and not naturally strong. LoL

Good luck w/ your program!

anotherbutters said:
That's an excellent program to start on. Your weights ought to rocket at this stage. Good luck!

Quiet old guy.

Welcome and good luck!

Obviously, it's your call how much time you want to spend on this journal, but updating after each workout might be useful even while things are going smoothly.

Protobuilder said:
and not naturally strong. LoL

What are you talking about, I'll have you know I can leg press 450 lbs, lol! I just don't do squats because they're bad for your back and knees. ;)

updating after each workout might be useful even while things are going smoothly.

I may just do that. I was trying not to get in the habit of obsessing about the numbers for each workout, but who am I kidding, I'll do that no matter what.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

4/17 - Workout A

Squat (3X5) 110 lbs.
DB Bench (3X5) 60's
Pendlay Row (3X5) 135 lbs.

Comments: I decided to start with the 3X per week and progression on squats a week early, My groin pull from Dec. felt fully recovered for the first time, so I jumped in a few pounds lighter than projected and will ramp up 10 lbs. per workout until that stalls. Everything felt good, DB Bench is a big shoulder improvement for me over BB bench, though getting the weights into position to start the first rep causes some pain, I'll need to get this technique down right to avoid problems as weight increases.

4/19 - Workout B

Squat (3X5) 120 lbs
Standing Press (3X5) 100 lbs
Deadlift (1X5) 205 lbs

Comments: Great workout. My weight is acting goofy right now. I just finished a 10 week caloric deficit (lost 15 lbs) and was sitting around 175 last Monday. Did some big time eating/drinking over a long weekend and weighed 185 on Monday and then 180 today. I'm figuring my glycogen levels were just reseting and 180 is probably my new norm. Kinda sucks because I was just starting to see some abs then bam, nothing. Not a big deal as I wasn't expecting to keep them, but I thought I could enjoy them a week or two!

Top Bottom