Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Saturated fat

Lifterforlife

Wondering what most of you think about sat fat. The media complex has turned most folks completely against and run away as fast as possible at the sound of the word fat.

This is in fact mass media again gone wrong in my view. Saturated fats in moderation(key here, sensible), are indeed healthy. This is a very touchy subject with some folks, as they are so ingrained against fats.

Fighting the dogma surrounding these fallacies is a tough job. It is hard being a "voice in the wilderness" so to speak, many folks call you every name in the book. But, it is equally fun when in the long run, you are proved correct. :qt:

Innovations and advancements are made by folks who are out in front of the pack. These are indeed the ones I choose to follow.

So, without further ado, here is a start on the saturated fat debate from my perspective......an excerpt from one of my favorite researchers, Dr. Douglass.

The "American Paradox?"

I've spent a good chunk of the last thirty years debunking the notion that saturated fat (specifically, fat derived from animals) in the diet leads to increased rates of coronary heart disease - an absurd assertion that the politically correct, yet medically ignorant mainstream media has been trumpeting for an equally long spell. As usual, the boob-tube-and-byline pundits have got it all wrong...

Yet they'll likely not spill one drop of ink reporting on studies that point to saturated fat as a boon to the heart-healthy, not the scourge the headlines routinely portray it to be.

A study published in the Journal of Clinical Nutrition, flies directly in the face of some of the fat police's most widely-cited research: A 1959-1971 Finnish mental hospital study which seemed to show that a diet high in saturated fat (in this case, an institutional diet which was no doubt also sky-high in refined carbohydrates and sugars) correlated to an up to 65% greater incidence of coronary heart disease among test subjects than did a diet higher in unsaturated fats.

But in this research, an American study of post-menopausal women with heart disease, saturated fat in the diet proved to be associated with a LESSER progression of the disease than did higher consumption of "healthy" unsaturated fats. Higher fat intakes in the study were correlated with favorable trends in both HDL (good) cholesterol and harmful triacylglycerol levels. In other words: Hated saturated fats effectively slowed down heart disease.

To refresh your memory, saturated fats are those that remain solid at room temperature (like animal fats). They are also a major component of healthy cells, the preferred fuel for the heart and muscles, powerful antiviral and antifungal agents, and serve as cancer-fighting genetic "regulators" in the body. Why didn't you already know these things (if you haven't been with me for a while)? Because our fat-phobic, animal-rights obsessed mainstream media wouldn't report on it if it were the cure for cancer...

Since this under-reported study used today's "gold standard" evaluative method (quantitative angiography) to derive its results, it poses a direct challenge to less precise prior research - as well as to the misguided popular assumption that saturated fat in the diet drives heart disease. Now that we Americans are finally starting to realize the heart-healthy, waistline-trimming benefits of a higher-fat, low-carbohydrate diet , it will be interesting to see whether this "American Paradox" will get any play at all in USA Today, Time magazine or on the evening news...

I'm not holding my breath.

Well, trans fats are the primary culprits in disease, saturated fat seems to be required to maintain testosterone levels. It's primarily a "storage" energy source but that is a "signal" to the human body it is "well fed" which implies a growth positive environment.

I whole heartedly agree with the trans fat issue. Have stayed away from anything remotely resembling hydrogenated oils.

Saturated fats have taken a beating from the media....totally without merit.....

The much-maligned saturated fats-which Americans are trying to avoid-are not the cause of our modern diseases. In fact, they play many important roles in the body chemistry:

Saturated fatty acids constitute at least 50% of the cell membranes. They are what gives our cells necessary stiffness and integrity.
They play a vital role in the health of our bones. For calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50% of the dietary fats should be saturated.

They lower Lp(a), a substance in the blood that indicates proneness to heart disease. They protect the liver from alcohol and other toxins, such as Tylenol.
They enhance the immune system.
They are needed for the proper utilization of essential fatty acids. Elongated omega-3 fatty acids are better retained in the tissues when the diet is rich in saturated fats.
Saturated 18-carbon stearic acid and 16-carbon palmitic acid are the preferred foods for the heart, which is why the fat around the heart muscle is highly saturated.The heart draws on this reserve of fat in times of stress.

Short- and medium-chain saturated fatty acids have important antimicrobial properties. They protect us against harmful microorganisms in the digestive tract.
The scientific evidence, honestly evaluated, does not support the assertion that "artery-clogging" saturated fats cause heart disease. Actually, evaluation of the fat in artery clogs reveals that only about 26% is saturated. The rest is unsaturated, of which more than half is polyunsaturated.

I succombed to the media-hype once, also. After overcoming my prejudices I started to experiment with different types- olive oil, seseme seed oil. I have to say I was surprised at the added dimension it gave me- within a week or so I was feeling healthier. Of course for someone like me it's wise not to go overboard with this stuff, but I've also added an EFA complex as part of my daily supp.

gjohnson5 said:
True , but I dunno anyone who eats 2000+ calories of fats...

I guess I have to be more clear with my post...thought it was pretty simple. Of course noone eats 2000+ calories of fat...I was simply referring to a total caloric surplus every day. Thought is was a rather simple post stating a rather simple fact. :qt:

Top Bottom