Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Whey as primary source of protein...

Personally, I like meats as my main protein source. Simple reason: humans have been eating meats for tens of thousands of years and our digestive systems are well-adapted to process animal muscle tissue ("meat"). Cow milk is for baby cows.

Whey is a good source of protein, but it is not a whole food. I like whole and natural foods.

Cow milk is what whey is derived from. Make sure that if using whey you don't use whey concentrate. Use Whey Isolate for post workout only. It's digested very quickly.

There is a lot of proteins out there. Do some searches as i could write for an hour about this. Protein factory's Penta Protein is a good balanced mix to try.

Who me?

Getting protein from food is already assumed in this argument because it's just part of the basics in dieting for BB. Protein powders can be used as supplements in addition to food. Just to clear up any confusion.

Ofcourse when i was younger (17) i would swear you could just drink Designer and that made for a GREAT diet, LOL!

wesley90 said:
Why do people not like this idea?
Thanks.

Using only one type of protein powder is a poor choice. For best results you need to combine whey, casein and egg protein. Here is why and how you should do this :

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=121
http://www.bodybuilding-tips.com/protein.htm

Of course your primary source of protein should be meat. Powders are there only
to supplement your natural food intake and help you reach the goal of consuming at least 250g protein daily.

GREGORY said:
Cow milk is what whey is derived from. Make sure that if using whey you don't use whey concentrate. Use Whey Isolate for post workout only. It's digested very quickly.

There is a lot of proteins out there. Do some searches as i could write for an hour about this. Protein factory's Penta Protein is a good balanced mix to try.
The cost differential betweeen concentrates or blends vs isolate is huge. When I read the ingredients the difference appears to be minimal. Can someone explain to me why the isolate is worth twice as much from a nutritional standpoint?

GREGORY said:
Make sure that if using whey you don't use whey concentrate. Use Whey Isolate for post workout only. It's digested very quickly.

jcam222 said:
The cost differential betweeen concentrates or blends vs isolate is huge. When I read the ingredients the difference appears to be minimal. Can someone explain to me why the isolate is worth twice as much from a nutritional standpoint?

Here is an answer to both of you :

A true whey protein isolate (WPI) will have very little fat and lactose and will be about 90% protein (the protein fractions are "isolated" from the rest of the material). Whey protein concentrate (WPC) contains about 7% fat and lactose and only 75% protein, BUT it costs less than half of what an isolate costs. The actual protein in WPC (that 75%) is usually pretty good, actually as good as the protein in WPI.

Bottom line : As long as you're not too sensitive to lactose, use WPC. You get a better value for money.

Keep in mind that contrary to what supplement companies want you to believe, QUANTITY of protein is more important than QUALITY, especially if you're juicing and trying to bulk up. Also keep in mind that some manufacturers will put 98% WPC in their product and then put in 1% of a hydrolyzed product (remember this tastes horrible!) and 1% of an isolate. Then, they can legally claim all types of stuff on their label-- di and tri peptides, ion-exchange, blah, blah, blah!

I agree, foods are an OVERALL better choice, as they have vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients. Although, I assume that because its protein, it will still be absorbed just as well as any other protein in food.

Another quick question...How quick does WPI absorb compared to WPC?
Thanks.

Top Bottom