Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5X5 Journal: A HIT'er Experiment

Madcow2 said:
Something to probably be aware of, coming from a HIT style program this is a lot more workload and a lot more frequency in the core lifts than you are used to (hell, it's a lot more than what just about every non-HIT bber in the big strenuous lifts). This alone can be a recipe for nagging overuse injuries. Combine this with pretty significant strength increases that have the weights shooting up and the requirement to be lifting at max capacity and loading heavily and it can really have the potential to beat on you.

Keep track of how you feel and don't push harder than you feel comfortable with. I see you are already using the 2x deload. That's probably a good idea and just play it safe. If you run this again (and from what you've posted it looks like you've gotten some solid results so I can't see why you wouldn't want to), you'll probably handle it a lot better with fewer aches and pains. I probably wouldn't push hard into a 3x deloading/intensity type phase and peak your lifts at this point although it might be something you want to experiment with next time when the loading phase is more easily tolerable - you want to be careful with how you treat your body since you only have one.

You might also check out the 'Beyond the 5x5 - Planning Your Training Cycles' link in the TOC of my thread. This will give you a good structure for incorporating other work (maybe you want to use some higher rep HIT work for a period, maybe a 4 week speciality cycle focusing on weak points in XYZ or some such) into a cohesive macro structure. Granted I'm not the biggest fan of HIT on a constant basis but a period of HIT style work from time to time in higher rep ranges (for me that means north of 6) can be beneficial especially if you've responded well to it in the past. A lot of the neural efficiency you'll develop in this program and in the triples can yield some big dividends as it builds capcity into higher rep ranges.

Just some random thoughts but so far everything looks good and I'm glad it worked for you.

MC,

Thanks for the tips!

I was thinking of keeping the 2X all the way through week 9, would this be advisable for someone like myself? ... Is 3X really necessary for me or is 2X good enough for now? Kind of confused on which direction to go, although I have no probs just finishing up through week 9 with 2X.

Honestly, it is wild to see myself getting so much stronger week in/week out just doing 2X per week. This program WORKS....

go2failure said:
MC,

Thanks for the tips!

I was thinking of keeping the 2X all the way through week 9, would this be advisable for someone like myself? ... Is 3X really necessary for me or is 2X good enough for now? Kind of confused on which direction to go, although I have no probs just finishing up through week 9 with 2X.

Honestly, it is wild to see myself getting so much stronger week in/week out just doing 2X per week. This program WORKS....
So the 3x per week is actually like a double barreled loading phase - hence you are peaking out to records and need to be more careful managing your recovery between the periods. Consider weeks 1-2 sort of prep work/accomodation, 3-4 heavy loading, 5 deload, 6-7 accomodation, 8-9 heavy loading. Recovery between 3-4 and 8-9 is critical here and can easily get blown.

The 2x per week is totally separate and basically deloading/modest peaking of strength in the triples. You only do this for 2-3 weeks and step back into the volume phase. There are no records or anything else, although you can fairly easily extend down into doubles or singles if you want to hit some big lifts before starting again.

The choice is sort of yours. If you feel up to it, after week 6 (or during if it's not too much) transitoin into the 3x per week for weeks 7, 8, and 9. You'll probably need to deload again for at least a week before beginning another volume phase. In the initial post I was more concerned about the possibility of developing overuse injuries since this training is a bit of a departure and you sounded a bit beat up (only you can judge this but I want you to be aware that overuse injuries can develop with large increases in workload and strength - you see this in roid users somewhat commonly if they aren't careful).

I have to pay you a compliment, so many BBers that follow HIT routines are so caught up in the dogma of it all that it becomes something of a religion to them rather than methodology for progress. I'm not saying that there aren't plenty of intelligent, well balanced, and knowledgable HIT guys (PSU's strength coach comes to mind although his name escapes me) but on these forums you tend to get the very narrow minded Jedi type especially in the BBing realm. It's kind of refreshing to see someone coming from HIT that is primarily interested in learning, making progress, and willing to try new things (providing they make sense of course and aren't some moronic Flex mag stuff). I'm not trying to convert anyone or get anyone to renounce HIT (hell, it obviously can work and has worked reasonably well for people - and certainly can be efficient from a time standpoint depending on the goal) but it's a really refreshing change to see someone not totally caught up in the ideology and dogma, interested in learning, and willing to work hard at their improvement. These are admirable traits in anyone but it's especially nice to see someone using their brain rather than requoting Mentzer as if his was the final word on all things strength and hypertrophy.

Ok, I though I has this figured out but now I'm not so sure.

Weeks 1-4, 3x a week 5x5
Week 5, 2x a week 3x3
Weeks 6-9 3x aweek 3x3

Is this right or no?

ErnieScar said:
Ok, I though I has this figured out but now I'm not so sure.

Weeks 1-4, 3x a week 5x5
Week 5, 2x a week 3x3
Weeks 6-9 3x aweek 3x3

Is this right or no?

No, don't go by what's in my post above as I'm giving him options to deviate based upon what he feels he can handle.

Weeks 1-4 are always 3x per week 5x5 and 1x5 (some people might start very light and run this for 6 weeks to build up but either way, records are in the final 2 weeks)

Now there are two ways you can run the next part

Weeks 5-6 or 5-7 with 2x per week 3x3 (bump up the weight week to week if you get your sets and reps and then start the volume again).

OR

Weeks 5-9 with 3x per week 3x3 and 1x3 with records in the final two weeks (this is a more gruelling and harder to manage option, likely need a week or 2 before stepping back into volume again).

Madcow2 said:
Weeks 5-6 or 5-7 with 2x per week 3x3 (bump up the weight week to week if you get your sets and reps and then start the volume again).

MC,

That was the direction I was thinking of going, because of my relocation/moving starting tomorrow.

So with this direction... Do the 2X, keep adding weight until my gains stop week in/week out (about week 7-8), then transition to back volume?

BTW, thank you for the compliment. I'm just grateful you were willing to help along the way! :)

go2failure said:
MC,

That was the direction I was thinking of going, because of my relocation/moving starting tomorrow.

So with this direction... Do the 2X, keep adding weight until my gains stop week in/week out (about week 7-8), then transition to back volume?

BTW, thank you for the compliment. I'm just grateful you were willing to help along the way! :)
That's a thought. Generally most just jump back into a volume phase after 2-3 weeks of strength and deloading (i.e. the 2x). Then again, if it fits your current lifestyle and you feel you are making really good progression there's no reason not to continue it for another week or so. Specifically if you haven't done a lot of work in triples and such you might really find some good benefits to training in this rep range. That said the total volume tends to be low so you aren't really taxing the body too much - in effect leaving something on the table so to speak.

Basically, go by feel and do what you want. Training is as much art as science and the state and goals of a given individual is largely deterministic as to what is appropriate or best at any given time.

WEEK 6

DAY 2:

Squats 3X3 --> 225
Deadlifts 3X3 --> 275
Military Press 3X3 --> 155
Pullups 3X3 --> BW + 10

Last edited:
WEEK 6

DAY 2:

Squats 3X3 --> 225 (Felt like they should've, I'd been driving for 3 days, 8-12 hrs a day and I'm a mile up in elevation LOL)

Deadlifts 3X3 --> 275 (Felt easy by the time I was done with squats. Let me remind everyone that I started with 185)

Military Press 3X3 --> 155 (Felt good, should thrown 165 on there)

Pullups 3X3 --> BW + 10 (20 lbs would have been more challenging)

Workout Summary:

Yesterday I felt strong after 2 set of squats, but then the higher elevation hit me. I was still strong, just out of breath for about 3 mins. After I caught my second wind, I started getting back into the groove.

Deadlifts are just going up in weight like mad. Pullups too... Military press is getting stronger (usually I stick). I think I'm still catching the deload growth, so I'm going to keep riding it with heavier weights. Start Week 7 tomorrow.

Looks like you're having fun. There's nothing like watching the weights go up and thinkng "gosh, this is still easy".

Top Bottom