Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

High SHBG low free T

Bigmac666

Hi folks!

I'm a 29 year old male from the uk with symptoms of low testosterone (low libido, grey mood, mental fogginess, loss of strength/muscle mass) don't smoke or drink, supplement with vit D magnesium and zinc. Had a recent blood test with the following results:
Total test 21.1 nmol/l
Estrogen 151 pmol/l
Shbg 85.5 nmol/l
Free test (calculated) 24.7 (no unit of measurement)

Other results out of range were:
Anti TPO (thyroid) 69 kU/l
Thyroid stimulating hormone 0.47 mlU/l

Apologies for the UK units of measurement. I have heard that doctors in the uk don't treat male hormonal issues particularly seriously. From the numbers I have provided would it appear that I have a problem that needs further investigating? These tests were paid for privately and I haven't yet spoke to a doctor about the results.

Thanks, and any any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would bet your could clear all that up with proper supplementation. Thyrodi isses are a LOT more common than people admit. Even if labs are inrange you can have a slugginsh thyroid. Just a couple tenths of a point of T3 can make a huge difference in how your whole bodu functions.

I suggest you read the whole sticky at the top of this forum "young and low T".

Vit D, magnesium and zinc are all good. But you really need ample vit A and K with the vit D for optimal effect. A ratio of 5:1 A to D is a good place to start FERMENTED cod liver oil tablets will generlly give a good ration of A:D. Then make sure to take in a potent vit K supplement with K2 (ideally via mk4). The A/D/K all work together to make sure calcium and other minerals get to where its needed and dont calcify soft tissue.

I would also start taking a good multi vitamin, they usually have 150-200mcg selenium. Then add another 200mcg selenium in the form of L-Selenomethionine at the opposite time of day you take your multi. Then add either iodarol tablets or lugols iodine solution. Lugols will allow you to start with a low dose and work your way up slower. Work up to 50mg per day. Then ideally after being on 50mg for 6 months take an iodine loading test with brimide and fluoride toxicity test to see how much iodine your excreting. A good B complex multi, 6 grams vitamin c in multiple dose throughout the day, a triple borron supplement would all be a good start.

Iodine is critical for thyroid hormone production, selenium is critical for converting T4 to T3 AND for neutralizing the hydrogen peroxide and free radicals created by the T4 to T3 conversion and T4 creation. When you lack selenium these free radicals cause an increase in Anti TPO. This really should all be common knowledge for the medical profession but they have strayed from their roots and no longer know what the body needs to function. They all simply suckle at the pharmacology tit and dole out prescriptions like their life depended on it.

Thanks very much for the detailed reply! I think you may have hit the nail on the head regarding the thyroid issue, I work irregular shifts with a lot of night work and that has probably contributed to the problem.

Looks like it's time to hit the supplement shop! How long would you recommend running the above protocol before getting a re-test? Also, any particular brands of multi that you would recommend?

Thanks very much for the detailed reply! I think you may have hit the nail on the head regarding the thyroid issue, I work irregular shifts with a lot of night work and that has probably contributed to the problem.

Looks like it's time to hit the supplement shop! How long would you recommend running the above protocol before getting a re-test? Also, any particular brands of multi that you would recommend?

For the cod liver oil which will give you A and D just make sure it is FERMENTED. Now brand is decent.

For vit K, it can be hard to find high dose. I use lef.org superk has a nice mix of k1 and k2 in mk4 and mk7 variations.

for iodine you really need to make sure you are using lugols solution, which is really more of a formulation than it is a maker. Its a liquid that comes in different percent strengths. Id recommend 5% solution which is 6.25mg combined iodine and iodide per drop. You can get it off amazon from a few places. Alternativly use iodarol tablens made by optimox, its same mixture as the liquid but tablet form and comes in 12mg, 25mg or 60mg tablets.

Its said you typically need 6-12 months at 50mg every day before you become sufficient in iodine. The iodine loading test also isnt something offered by most docs but you can order it online for about $100 for just iodine about double that if you test for bromide/fluoride toxicity.

Selenium, any brand should be ok just make sure its in the form of L-Selenomethionine.

For vitamin C all you need is ascorbic acid as the main ingredient, can get 1lb crystals for like $15.

Optimox also makes a product called ATP cofactors which is high dose B2/B3 which is a benefit when you are suffering from thyroid conditions.

multivitamins are going to be kinda hit and miss but what ever you get expect it to be pretty large. FOr exmaple the now multi for men is 2 very large gel caps per dose. COmpare that to some of the typical grocery store brands like centrum which is just 2 tiny pills.

Keep up with the magnesium, may want to log your diet and see how much potassium you get per day from food as well and add some more potassium if your not getting a good 4700mg or more daily.

Since you have high TPO already you may want to add the selenium and take that for a few weeks before you add in the iodine.

Thanks again! Is my thyroid underactive? With one reading being high and the other being low it confused me slightly. Lots of learning to be done, appreciating the help!

Thanks again! Is my thyroid underactive? With one reading being high and the other being low it confused me slightly. Lots of learning to be done, appreciating the help!

I would wager its underactive although the labs you got are not totally conclusive, but then again most labs arent. underactive thyroid is one of the main reasons for low test, lethargy, weight gain depression etc etc. Good hypothyroid symptoms for a list.

Anti TPO is a reading of Anti-thyroid autoantibodies that are present. When this value is high it generally indicates thyroid damage. As I mentioned above the process of creating thyroid hormones can cause a lot of free radicals and damage via hydrogen peroxide. The process by whihc the body naturally controls this damage is heavily reliant on selenium. Its very common for people who are selenium deficient to have high TPO readings. You actually may want to consider going to 600mcg selenium a day for a few weeks before adding iodine.

Thyroid stimulating hormone is the hormone that triggers the production of t4. If you are lacking the selenium needed to convert T4 to T3 the body can directly create T3. So it could be your thyroid is so inflamed due to lack of selenium and/or your body is just scraping by on minimal resources so is moderating TSH release.

Anyway you slice it your a good candidate for iodine and selnium. A lot of people have a sluggish thyroid but labs in the normal range yours clearly indicate a problem. Depending on how its been going on, it could take months and maybe even years to undo the damage but be patient and I bet you will see some benefit.

I read the young and low t sticky, some good information there too! However I couldn't find any recommended dosage for vitamin k in the protocol? Finally nice to get some answers and advice on this matter.

I read the young and low t sticky, some good information there too! However I couldn't find any recommended dosage for vitamin k in the protocol? Finally nice to get some answers and advice on this matter.

There is still a lot of controversy about vit K, research on it is fairly new compared to most nutrients. Normally if a multi has any in it it will be mcg doses.

Whats crazy about vit K, good doses of vit A/D and K can actually heal teeth, repair tooth enamel/dentin etc. Weston price dot org has a lot of good info on and a lot of professionals have varying recommendations but it has very low toxicity. COmbine that with the fact most supps have such little K content it would be difficult to get too much. I take 2x lef.org superk's a day (Am/pm). They have the following:

Vitamin K1 (as phytonadione) 1000 mcg
Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-4) 1000 mcg
Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-7) 200 mcg

Top Bottom