Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Steel Cut Oats - microwave

Sim882

(yes I have googled this)

So I finally bought steel cut oats, and am pleased to read they apparently taste nutty. I have been using oat bran - thought I would try this instead.

Everything I have read on the net suggest the arduous cooking time on the stove.

I have a quick question - can I microwave it and if so for how long? I have never eaten rice b/c of the cooking time.

I realise the other option is just to cook a massive bunch and then refridge it, but if possible I was hoping to be able to microwave it for <10 mins, as it could be difficult to precisely know the calories in hydrated oats.

what is the cooking time... my oats cook in 3 mins on the stove
of course you can microwave them...wont be nearly as healthy tho

I never used steel cut oates. I use regular Quaker Old fashioned Oates. Not the instant or anything like that. They are 100% whole grain. I add a 1/2 cup to two protein shakes a day. They sit in the shake and get all soft and chewey. This is delicious in both chocolate protein and vanilla. No cooking, just tastey goodness. Try it out and see if it will work with the steel cut oates.

CORPORATEBEAST said:
what is the cooking time... my oats cook in 3 mins on the stove
of course you can microwave them...wont be nearly as healthy tho

"Won't be nearly as healthy" ? Why do you say that? Just curious.

iceman7 said:
"Won't be nearly as healthy" ? Why do you say that? Just curious.
don't really know what i was saying when i wrote that post

steel cut oats will obviously take way longer to cook

microwaving seems to cause the greatest loss of enzymes when cooking food... allows for creation of more free radicals, but mostly i am just a microwave hater hahahah - probably really isn't that much worse as all heating will denature the enzymes in food to some degree.

but... for the ultimate absorption of enzymes and minerals, soak the oats overnight with four tablespoons of whey, lemon juice or cider vinegar. This neutralizes phytic acid. Phytic acids coat grains and inhibit the absorption of minerals.

CORPORATEBEAST said:

microwaving seems to cause the greatest loss of enzymes when cooking food... allows for creation of more free radicals, but mostly i am just a microwave hater hahahah - probably really isn't that much worse as all heating will denature the enzymes in food to some degree.

but... for the ultimate absorption of enzymes and minerals, soak the oats overnight with four tablespoons of whey, lemon juice or cider vinegar. This neutralizes phytic acid. Phytic acids coat grains and inhibit the absorption of minerals.
alot of info i have read suggest that microwave cooking is often a better option at least with vegetables... Im against it tho.. How can something so unnatural be better

I have a steamer ... something like this...

Deni_Food_Steamer_lg.jpg

Doesn't get any simpler and better. The veggies retain the color, flavor and juices. I just feels nicer eating steamed as opposed to microwaved foods.

You raise a good point - when we heat oatmeal, does anyone know that the omega 6 doesn't oxidize? Is there any research on microwaving it versus boiling or is this just conjecture. I for one would never put flaxseeds in the microwave with it. Similarly, do omega 3 eggs boiled oxidise?

I finally did try the steel cuts, and it certainly tastes better. Pity about the prep time. Also tried barley for first time. I'm starting to wonder though whether barley is the superior cereal though, although its very marginal with barley v oatmeal. Barley has a slightly lower GI without the omega 6 fat. The lower fat permits slightly greater nutritious flexibility - either greater carb/fat separation, or adding an, better alternative fat source (e.g., more omega 3, such as flax seeds, or mono, such nuts) further lowering GI/insulin beyond oatmeal.

CORPORATEBEAST said:

Steel cut oats need to be cooked traditionally. They will never cook well in the microwave. Traditional oats are usually either precooked or are pressed to allow faster cooking.

Corporatebeast, if you cook steel cut oats for only 3 minutes, you will find that your teeth become chipped while you eat them. Only pressed or instant oatmeal cooks in 3 minutes.

Top Bottom