Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I was let go from work today

the_alcatraz

Head Mod
Elite Moderator
So 2 days ago, I msg my manager and tell her I'm going to be an hour late because I'm feeling sick. When I get to work, HR sends me an email asking me if I'm at work. I respond with: yes, but I signed in late. They ask if I had it approved with my manager. I say I msged her this morning informed her that I'm going to be late. I receive a flagrantly rude email from HR saying that I should book it 2 days in advance instead of having people running around and try to figure out if I'm in. I reply with: Next time I predict I'm going to be sick in a few days, I'll book it in advance. I get a flaming email from my manager cc'ing everyone and their grandmothers in management and HR telling me that it's not the way they do thing and my answer is not acceptable. After a few minutes, someone from management waks up to me and says: your manager just called and says ur sick so we're sending you home. Now this company has no sick days and I drive almost 2 hours to get to work, so after I've been there for 30 minutes they're are sending me home even after I decided to get over the fact that im feeling like shit and come to work?

I feel like I'm being forced into something that is not right, so I call ontario labor board and I ask them about my right. They tell me if you are ready to work and at work, despite that you are sick, employer does not have the right to send you home. if they do, it must be a policy (and it's not) Even if you agree to go home, they have to pay you 3-4 hours depending on the kind of business for that day.

So the next day, I talk to hR and tell them about the information and that they owe me 3-4 hours of pay. One day after, my manager calsl me into the HR office and says: we've concluded that you are not fit for this position and you have not passed the probation period.

A little bit of info:

I have hit 200-300% of goal every month since i got hired
My effort numbers are first in the team and top 3 on the floor.

Does anyone else see anything wrong with this picture???

Me being a v.p., a message is never the right way in my opinion to call in sick. I've ripped my employees ass apart for calling in that way (text or email). However, if they show up late (they never do) and was willing to work, I'm willing to have them. It shows they try. In your case, a probationary period is a hairy thing. Pretty much they can reserve the right to let you go for whatever reason they see fit.
On the other hand u have one hell of an argument against them being that you made all of your quotas and exceeded them significantly...
The reason for being let go is "justified" on their part being that you mouthed off to a manager. They'll say "your not a team player" or some lame bullshit like that.
Not to drag my explanation on, you were discriminated against, targeted, and made an example out of (hence the public email). So lets add defamation of character to that list also. You have a right to sue them for what you did. Also, in ny, (idk where your from) if a employee travels more than one hour in distance (not including traffic) you may be entitled to travel expenses (a probationary period might void this).
Long and short of it, gather as much PHYSICAL evidence as you can get you hands on (quota reports, emails, save the text, phone records of you calling in ect) and go see a lawyer and sue the living balls off of them. You have a decent case. They want to be pricks, be a prick back. It will be cheaper for them to settle than it will be to hire lawyers to fight this...

Seems like you were given an opportunity to pursue better alternatives, not the kind of employer you want long term.

should have stayed the fuck home.

But you went in. Then you had to go and be a smartass...while you're in a probationary period.

Then you had to go back in the next day, still steaming about this bullshit, and be some kind of Canadian/Lebanese Johnny Cochran. Telling the HR person you know the law and they owe you money. Again...while you're in a probationary period.

You were a liability. They had to get rid of you. Who knows what you were going to try to do next?

Not sure how Canada is, but here you work "at will" and you ca be let go for any reason or no reason at all.

Learn from this and move on.

Next time you call in sick, be sick and stay the fuck at home.

Also, keep your fucking mouth shut, especially while you're on probation.

Love you bro.

But you went in. Then you had to go and be a smartass...while you're in a probationary period.

Then you had to go back in the next day, still steaming about this bullshit, and be some kind of Canadian/Lebanese Johnny Cochran. Telling the HR person you know the law and they owe you money. Again...while you're in a probationary period.

You were a liability. They had to get rid of you. Who knows what you were going to try to do next?

Not sure how Canada is, but here you work "at will" and you ca be let go for any reason or no reason at all.

Love you bro.

Lmfaoooooooo

Love you bro.

Harsh, but truthful.

Love you bro.

Within probation period you have zero leg to stand on.

Outside of probation it's 3 warnings 1 is verbal but documented other 2 are written warning.

CEO tad harsh but he's all about tough love it is truthful though. Never go to HR saying you went to the labour board if you don't already have another job lined up that's a big ass red flag they will find what ever they need to get you out.

HR role is not to protect employees it's to protect the company

Top Bottom