Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Any roofing experts out there? Does roof color affect cooling bills?

Lumberg

I need hard evidence, like studies and stuff. I am researching this and some people say get a lighter color roof, others say it doesn't matter.

What's the word?

Just wanted to add that I'm only looking at regular fiberglass/cellulose shingles. So does the color of shingles affect attic temperature is what I'm asking.

In warmer climates, lighter is better as it reflects the suns radiant heat keeping the house cooler.
Do a search on google for "radiant barrier" as this is basically what we are talking about, but but not as effective as the foil.

In cooler climates, darker is better as it absorbes solar radiant heat in the winter and is not much of an impact in the summer

Y_Lifter said:
In warmer climates, lighter is better as it reflects the suns radiant heat keeping the house cooler.
Do a search on google for "radiant barrier" as this is basically what we are talking about, but but not as effective as the foil.

In cooler climates, darker is better as it absorbes solar radiant heat in the winter and is not much of an impact in the summer

True but I tend to disagree about the negligible impact during the summer.....unless the summers are quite mild.

I once noticed a significant difference in house temperature after switching from white to dark tan shingles.

Originally posted by Testosterone boy
True but I tend to disagree about the negligible impact during the summer.....unless the summers are quite mild.

I once noticed a significant difference in house temperature after switching from white to dark tan shingles.

Yes, it is a trade off if you have Cold winters AND sunny warm summers.
As for me, 3/4 of the year is very warm and sunny.

I was referring to those climes that are mostly cold and not
sunny for the most part...

We went with a light tan shingle on the new house and also put in the radiant barrier foil in the attic.

Y_Lifter said:

Yes, it is a trade off if you have Cold winters AND sunny warm summers.
As for me, 3/4 of the year is very warm and sunny.

I was referring to those climes that are mostly cold and not
sunny for the most part...

We went with a light tan shingle on the new house and also put in the radiant barrier foil in the attic.

I think I might do the same since I have to replace the FRT anyway.

BTW Lawrence Berkley National Labs does a lot of research on roofing materials....check out www.lbl.gov

before changing to light tan shingles, installing "dennyfoil", a radiant heat barrier, and a power vent, my attic was SUPERHEATED in the summer.

it's still hot up there, but bareable for short trips up there to search for whatever i misplaced up there.

And double sided radiant barrier is best as it will also reflect the heaters radiant heat in winter back into the warm house.

My best freinds father was a roofing contractor. Started working for him summers and afternoons when I was thirteen. Twenty years later after many years in roofing and housebuilding ( three of my dads brothers were carpenters)
Get the color of shingles you want,. The main thing is plenty of ventilation, soffit, gable end and roof vents, plenty of options such as ridge vents etc. My personal opinion is you can't have too much ventilation. Also make sure you have plenty of attic insulation. Plenty of insulation in your ceiling joist and attic ventillation is the key to a comfortable home and long life from roof

Top Bottom