Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Your favorite shoulder building move?

I know I have been all about having a square booty lately but I was talking with someone else earlier and they asked me what shoulder exercise I did for building that round ball on my shoulders. I have always done side lateral DB raises, heavy to build and moderate to maintain and shape. What about you guys? Any favs for developing nice shoulders?

Clean and press is number one in my books. If you can't or won't do these, then just press.

Ditto on clean and press - it's like combining wide grip uprights with a press. I also like Scott presses though - I tend to alternate between the two.

"What's a "clean and press"??? "

I think it's something to do with laundry ...

I like standing military presses, and wide-grip upright rows. And as soon as I find someone to help me with form, I intend to learn some OL moves, too.

I like both standing and seated military presses. I was a little worried when I first started doing these because I hurt my rotator cuff on the overhead press machine! LOL I am probably the only person in history to hurt herself on a machine. In actuality, I find I have more control with the barbell and the move doesn't bother my shoulder one iota.

I'm like you, Steel Weaver: I'd like to learn the Olympic lifts, but not until I meet someone who can actually show me how to do them.

I like seated presses of some kind....if using a barbbell choose a bench that will adjust with a slight back lean ...the bench should ideally be about 80-85 degrees from upright. Press to the front and not behind the necck as behind the neck presses can be hard on many people's shoulders and it will limit the weight you can use a bit.

Also some seated pressing machines are pretty good, especially the hammer press.

I also like seated presses to the front with an 85 degree bench in the Smith machine.

Definately overhead pressing of some kind is the best mass/power builder. It will build ALL three heads of the deltoid and for mass/power you really don't need to do anything else.

I would say that strict upright rows with a fairly narrow grip and wrist straps are pretty good too, IF your rotator cuff is not an issue with this movements.

RG

Hey there folks Storm1 here aka WonderWoman.
I know it's been a while. Got ambitious at the job and had to pay the price. Things have evened out a bit and voila!
Anyhoo, for shoulders I do seated military press, push press, and push jerks. These movements give mucho bang for the buck strength, size, function, athleticism. For pure aesthetics, I'd go with lateral raises and W presses.
Since I've incorperated the olympic movements my traps, shoulders and back have exploded in both strength and appearance. Gotta love it.
Storm1:D

JJFigure said:
Ditto on clean and press - it's like combining wide grip uprights with a press.

You obviously tried them and liked them JJ. They are a great exercise.

Latreal raises are waaay overated IMO. For impressive shoulders you need to press any which way you can.

Top Bottom