Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Yet another SETS AND REPS question!

cjbo32

I know that what works for 1 person doesnt always work for the next but I just wanted to know peoples opinions on sets and reps. I used to do 15reps x 3sets with a weight that I could just about finish the last set with. I decided to switch to 6reps x 5sets just after christmas. Squats are with 135lbs, Chest press with 66lbs and deadlifts are with 140lbs, for an example. Im doing a five day split as I find that if I have a break during the week it throws me off course completely and I end up crashing on my diet or something. So my split looks like this
Mon - Legs
Squat
Sumo squat
Deadlift
Leg press
Leg extension
Standing leg curl
Calves

Tues - Chest
Flat db flye
Flat bb press
Wide dips
Decline db press
Decline db flye

Wed - Back
Pull-up
Lat pulldown
Machine row
Chin up
Hyperextension

Thurs - Shoulders
Seated db press
Cable front raise
Bent over lat raise
Upright row bb
Cable lat raise

Fri - Arms
Bb curl
Lying cable curl
Db kickback
Cable skull crusher
Closed grip bench press

I do abs about twice a week. Cardio 5 times per week for 45mins a time at 65-75% of mhr or at intervals. My diet is very clean and my sups include whey, multivit, glucosamine, efa's and eca. My goal is to become lean again with s defined muscular physique. I am not a hard gainer, probably the oposite but I am quite broad in the shoulders and 6ft in height so I dont wanna bulk too much. I found that my body responded better to 12-15reps before but maybe I havnt given it long enough. My legs feel rock hard when they are flexed but they lack shape and definition. This is probably lack of cardio and not stripping away the fat but I would love to hear peoples opinions on this and any advice would be great!!!

First, whoa.... way too many sets.

Second, is the weight heavy? You say you squat at 135, is that heavy for you?

Cardio sessions are also too long.

Also are you male or female? What's your stats? and what does your diet look like? Losing fat has more to do with your diet than cardio.

Miss24k said:
First, whoa.... way too many sets.

Second, is the weight heavy? You say you squat at 135, is that heavy for you?

Cardio sessions are also too long.

Also are you male or female? What's your stats? and what does your diet look like? Losing fat has more to do with your diet than cardio.

Yeh 135 is pretty heavy for me on a free squat. I am fully aware that losing fat has alot to do with diet and as I said my diet is very clean. Its 1600 calories based on 50% protein, 25% carbs and 25% fat, all clean, no crap. Im female, 6ft and under 18% bf last time I checked. Why is it way too many sets?

Last edited:
Hey girlie, I wasn't saying your diet isn't clean. I was just stating that diet is the key that's all, for all we know maybe you aren't eating enough, or you're eating too much, which probably isn't the case since your calories are around 1600.

I don't know how much you weigh, but your calorie intake should be between 10 to 12 times your body weight.

Your set range should be around 6 to 9 per muscle.

In my opinion you're working too much, more isn't always better.

I know what you mean bout diet wise. My caloric intake is extactly x 10 of my body weight. Just outta interest what do you squat and are they full olympic squats? Im intrigued! Thanks for your responses

Right now I'm squatting for 95lbs for 25 low tempo reps, and I go very low (ass to ground ;) )

The last time I was in the 10 rep range, I was squatting for 205.

No problem girl. I forgot to welcome you to the boards...So welcome :)

LIke 24k said....

I do 9-12 sets per bodypart..and I MIGHT hit cardio 3x in two weeks.....but Im stll leaning out due to a firly tight diet...which I have just added carbs back into to bump my % from 30 to 45ish

Top Bottom