Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Workout input

wlmcrae

Hi everyone,

Been away for awhile so I'm starting a new routine and would like input. It is a full-body split and definitely a beginner's routine, but if you see any places it could be improved, please speak up. Goals are strength and conditioning, anything else is a welcome bonus but not a goal.

For each exercise, 2 sets of 12 reps at weights reaching failure at the end of the second set. The 'superset' is a set of one exercise, then a set of the next, repeat, giving no pauses in the workout.

5-minute cardio warmup (I'm working out early morning . . )
Bent Over Raises (shoulders) supersetted with Angled Calf Raises (calves)
DB Flyes on Swiss Ball (chest), superset with DB Squats (quads)
DB Pullovers on SB (back), superset with SL Deadlifts (hams)
DB Raise (tricep), superset with SB Crunches (abs)
DB Curls (bicep), superset with One-leg Calf Raises OR Military Press (shoulders)

Diet - consistent goal is simply eating enough clean food.

Height 5'6", weight 145ish, BF% 25ish (haven't measured for awhile)

Whoops, forgot something! I'm planning to do this three times/week with HIIT or SS cardio for 20 min on off days. Is overtraining going to be an issue?

I love Swiss Ball work ... but unless your core strength is already pretty good, I would stay away from doing a lot of it with weights to failure. Now, this is just my opinion, and I know some may disagree with me, but I think you should do some weighted work on the ball, but not some of the compound movements - until your core strength is strong. It is HARD to do weight work to failure on an unstable surface. JMHO. :)

Whoops! Guess the guy who sold us the weights should have noted that. I've never used a bench - all my weight work to date has been using a SB as a bench. My core strength must be pretty good? Or it's dumb luck . . :worried:

Well, like I said, it is simply my opinion - and I don't know your body! So if you haven't had an issue with it, then you should be fine! I do know that for me, it is hard for me to concentrate on gaining strength without some supported work - to really focus on the targeted muscle.

You seem to be hitting every bodypart, but I am wondering how long you plan on doing this workout before changing things? It just seems to me it is a great "get back into it" plan, but your body will very quickly adapt to it and need more stimulation. Especially if you have a good, soild training history in the past.

"DB Flyes on Swiss Ball (chest), superset with DB Squats (quads)
DB Pullovers on SB (back), superset with SL Deadlifts (hams)"

this kind of confuses me. Why not super back & chest THEN quads & hams? Keep the blood flow within the same region and train antagonists? Anyone?

DG I hear you on the strength issue with the SB...

So it would be better to superset in the same area? Is that right? I don't know - I actually mixed it up that way b'cause I thought it would be better to train different areas.

DG - tks, I'll work on that!

Top Bottom