Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why is this bad?

2Shy

My pet gym peeve is people who don't rack their weights. Adds all sorts of time to my workout when I have to strip plates and put them up for someone else. It's also a pain in the neck when the bar is sitting way up high and is holding a ton of 45s.

Anyway, I've read comments about people who curl in the power cages, and I'm curious. Other than the obvious (they're there when you want to use it) why is this considered poor etiquette?

Sorry to be so hopelessly ignorant!

shy, i totally agree with you! not racking the weights is my pet peeve too (one of them anyway). especially when there are hundred-pound plates on the leg press or something.

i think using the power rack for curls is just bad because that's not what it's intended for and nobody uses it for its original purpose. that's why it annoys me anyway but maybe there are more reasons that i also don't know :)

teresa

The power rack is designed for heavy squating/deadlifting movements. Usually there is only one or two of these in the gym and it is general gym ettiquett to leave these free at all times in case someone needs to use them for this purpose.

There is no need to use them for performing exercises using the sort of poundages used for bicep curls.

Exactly. The level of danger is nowhere close. If you are training alone for a heavy squat, you risk getting caught under the bar, and needing the benefits of the powerrack to cover your A$$ (or to keep from breaking it). I've never seen anyone curl so much, with proper form, that they needed a power rack for their own safety. Worse case scenario, set the bar on the floor. With the deadlift, it's more of a safety issue toward others. A rolling 500+pound barbell can be a problem. I pull sumo, so I can't pull in the rack anyway. This is why I use a deadlift platform with a 2 inch lip around it. One of the moves the powerrack best improves safety for is the bench press. How many people do you see getting stuck under those? More people than you see maxing out bicep curls IN the rack, I'm sure.

It's just not meant for curling in!I'm desparately trying to think of a good analogy but my brain fails me right now!

gingernut said:
It's just not meant for curling in!I'm desparately trying to think of a good analogy but my brain fails me right now!

How about: It is like using your toilet as a vase for your flowers.

Sticking something pretty and dainty in a place meant for the dirty and smelly work. :D

epimetheus said:

How about: It is like using your toilet as a vase for your flowers.

Sticking something pretty and dainty in a place meant for the dirty and smelly work. :D

LOL! Great analogy! :D

LOL Epimetheus!

I wondered if it had to do with the weight used, but since I only use dumbbells for curls, wasn't sure.

Are there any other "unexceptable" exercises for there? I see people doing rows sometimes.

Well, if the gym is empty and no one is near the racks, I say use them for whatever you want. I'll put the brackets on the outside of the rack to help loading weight on the bar before I row, but I row from the ground in front of the rack - usually the only open areas to row/dead from. Would I want someone squatting in front of my face as I'm rowing? No. If someone needed to squat, I'd do a different type of row and let them have the power rack.

Oh my gawd! Major pet peeve of mine, too! Puh-leeze re-rack them weights! It's like, if you're strong enough to pick them up and move them, then you're strong enough to put them away!

Funny thing, too: just yesterday we're at the platform getting ready to perform cleans from the hang, snatches and push presses. Some chick moves a bench to up to the edge of the platform (behind us) and starts performing "step ups" on the bench (with VERY poor form, too). Right before my set of snatches, I turn around and tell her, "uh, don't think you want to be there right now...", she just kinda looks at me, lost, and responds with "I don't mind". I'm thinking "idiot" and just say, "you don't mind losing your head if I let this thing fly back?". She eventually moves.......

ARRRGGGGGHHHHH!

Top Bottom