Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why all need to DEADLIFT

Great thread!

After just adding in squats to my routine, my next question was going to be about dead lifts...thanks for this post! Now my question is...when to do them? What other body parts/exercises do you do on the day you do dead lifts?

spatts said:
Compound is actually defined by joint recruitment, not the number of muscles/muscle fibers used...

OK, so that answers the question about the RDL -- it is a variation of the SDL (as I thought all along, but got confused about from the descriptions above); so, what do you call a deadlift with an eccentric phase?

So if we really want to be picky, a stiff-legged deadlift is performed with the knees locked, not soft. A romanian deadlift is a SDL performed with soft knees.

And if compound is defined by joint recruitment, you are recruiting the joints on the eccentric phase, as well as the concentric phase on the deadlift w/ negative, correct? Hence, it is more compound?

I don't think how often the joint is recruited is as important as how many total joints. That's always been my understanding of it, anyway.

I don't know if an SLDL or an RDL are varations of eachother or not...I don't know which came first. You could say that an SLDL is the straight leg variation of an RDL, or that an RDL is a bent variation of an SLDL. Kind of a chicken and egg logic, I suppose. Neither one are a "dead lift," and that's the only point I'm making.

As long as your variation works for you, and you are performing it safely, I don't suppose it matters much.

Yeah, a trap bar.

I tell ya what -- I tried grip and rip last night after our other conversation -- it was soooo much better than setting up. It presented a bit of a challenge when I got to weights I couldn't hold (I use straps on heavier sets -- so I couldn't just walk up and pull on those, so I stood in place till I was ready, then dipped down and ripped; may have to explore chalk -- how does chalk compare to straps?), but all in all, was a very nice change ... felt very strong ...

Top Bottom