Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What core exercises to break my girlfriend into free weights?

frorider6

I'm thinking bench and squats, but what about an easy CORE back exercise. Maybe barbell rows.

Looking for opinions ladies.

Awesome comments all! Thanks!

She is very fit but not strong, so any kind of unassisted pullup is out of the question. And we don't work out at the same gym so I can't be there to spot her.

I hadn't thought of cable rows. I'll keep them in mind but I'd really like her to use as many supporting muscles as possible. I'm just trying to get her used to the idea of lifting weights without any kind of machine. T-bar would work also if her gym has one.

Ladies, any more thoughts on 1 simple core free weight back exercise?

I'm just going to have her incorporate these exercises into her machine weight routine and gradually shift her to more free weights.

Take each of the major motions & muscle sets, pick at least one basic exercise for each that will help her identify the correct form so she is actually working the right muscle without getting hurt.

From that she can become familiar with the muscle being worked, the correct form & how it should feel. From there, it seems to me it would be easier for her to use other machines, cables, weights to work the same muscle / set of muscles and be familiar with the purpose of the new exercise and execute it with good form instead of looking at it like a whole new exercise.

This way she can also start with something that will allow her to do manageable weights and then build up and expand as her strenght increases. This is also a useful approach if you end up going to a gym that doesn't have the same equipment she is used to or the equipment she wants to use is occupied.

This is a thought that took me a while to pick up on, having gone thru the aerobics bunny stage, the initial Nautilus releases in the early '80s and finally hitting the weights like a real person. Otherwise it can get confusing. There is also a tendency in newbies to either do the easiest stuff, the stuff that everyone else "looks" like they're doing and also to understand how it all goes together.

I'm trying to keep from overwhelming her and also diffuse this "If I lift weight, I get bulky" attitude. I figured the basic squat and bench were great exercise to get her to do. So, I'm thinking at this point:

squat
bench
machine assisted pullups (if her gym has one)
1 arm dumbbell rows

How does this look? Other opinions? And what kind of rep and set range should she be in? I know so little about women's exercise phisiology. :(

Well, if she's not so excited about lifting and fears the bulk factor,
I would say start with something that gets the quickest results.

That way, she can get a sense of accomplishment and the enthusiasm can be HERS, not YOURS.

The fasting for results I think must be curls. You get a little bicep peak in no time at all.

Nothing TOO difficult in the beginning or, like I said, she won't stay motivated.

buksoon said:
Well, if she's not so excited about lifting and fears the bulk factor,
I would say start with something that gets the quickest results.

That way, she can get a sense of accomplishment and the enthusiasm can be HERS, not YOURS.

The fasting for results I think must be curls. You get a little bicep peak in no time at all.

Nothing TOO difficult in the beginning or, like I said, she won't stay motivated.

Well, she's the one that approached me about using free weights and has kept asking me about them. So I think her motivation is there.

I kind of want to wait to add curls a bit later. I don't want to overwhelm her right off the bat. We'll call bicep curls "phase 2". Thanks for the input. :)

Also, she's a total treadmill bunny. 45-60 minutes on it before lifting. I'm thinking I should tell her to limit it to 45 minutes. I still think the alternate sprint/coast running for 30 minutes is better for you though but I don't want to completely change her routine.

Anyway, cardio before or after lifting? I'd think before.

DEAD LIFTS...great exercise for the lower back and get some legs in there too...is she doing full body when she works out? Or breaking up her body parts.?? I would not do full body workouts...take too much time and you get better workouts splitting your body up like chest/back, legs, arms/shoulders...3 day split...Lunges are another great leg exercise she can do..how long has she been training?

She's been training many years but has always been intimidated by free weights and the belief that she'll "get all musclely". I'm goin to hold off on deadlifts for her. I know it's top 5 best things to do, but it's also VERY intimidating.

I think I'm going to have her do a upper and lower body split 2x a week. Any thoughts on that?

The general consensus on cardio here is optimal time to do cardio for burning fat is in the morning on an empty stomach, and second best is after training.

Tell her she can't get "all muscley" because she doesn't have enough testosterone in her body to do that. Maybe ask what she considers "all muscley". When I was training for my first competition (NPC tested) my mom kept telling me "Don't get big" -- actually I felt like I shrank - I got tight not big. Unless she's doing some serious protein pounding (AND I DON"T MEAN THAT IN A SEXUAL WAY.. ANY GUYS LURKING ON THE LADIES' BOARD!!!!),
and lifting like a mofo, she won't be bulking.

Top Bottom