Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Weird counter-balanced weight machines

Gladiola

I LOVE free weights & really avoid machines. But I got no choice for leg curls & extensions... so last week I did those 2 on leg day.

We have these odd machines that are counter balanced weight... instead of throwing a plate on the rack - you have 3 spots to rack weights on the machine... one is the weight you pull in the beginning, then middle, then end. It feels SOOOO strange! Additionally, I know it's best not to let the weights touch the rack (keeping the tension) but it's very hard to visually SEE where that point is. :rolleyes: I hate machines. & talk about a hassle to adjust the weight b/t sets with my training partner! :mad:

Anyone else have these?

I was looking at the machine itself & it stated that you can work different muscle fibers this way. BS!! Doesn't a muscular contraction happen from the middle of the muscle? I thought the only way to hit different fibers was to do different exercises at different angles in different planes of motion.... how can this machine work my quad different than a normal leg extension machine?

thats STRIVE equipment, there stuff isnt that bad, just keep the plate in the middle..you cant go wrong that way...i like their preacher curl machine.

NY Muscle said:
thats STRIVE equipment, there stuff isnt that bad, just keep the plate in the middle..you cant go wrong that way...i like their preacher curl machine.
:FRlol: we were putting the same amount of weight on each of the 3 pegs :D I guess that's not necessary? What a pain it was! Just one plate in the middle?

Isn't that false about "working different muscle fibers"?

Thanks!

Gladiola said:

Isn't that false about "working different muscle fibers"?

Thanks!

i could be wrong but you cant work different muscle fibers in the gym by a certain excercise, you can work different muscle fibers by HOW you do the exercise.. ie; sprinting works slow twitch fibers (or is it fast twitch, i confuse these 2 all the time) and a 45 minute walk at say 4.0mph would work the fast twitch fibers.
or high reps vs low reps on a particular exercise.

i think the strive equipment was made with the thinking that you can work different parts of a muscle, not different muscle fibers.
or work threw different ranges and sticking points that you may have.

ms or w6 could answer this and make more sense than me.

Bump

Yeah, NYM, it's 'STRIVE' (saw the label last night). I did the curls with just a plate in the middle (nothing on the 1st & 3rd pegs) - it felt more comfortable than with weight on each of the 3.

Used that way, does it have any advantage over a traditional machine with a weight stack??

Top Bottom