Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

weight train then cardio?

hanging_on

first and for most i want to thank all of u for your support,today i was ready to give it all up.but thanks to all of u and your help i know feel like im going to get on the right track....one question still,if i understand right,i should lift weights first,i do arms 3 days,legs 3.cardio 5.but i should go to the gym and warm up on tredmill for 10 min,then weight train,and then do 60 min of cardio?i was told do cardio first then weight train.this can be done any time of the day?working out like this,or is eating at 7:00 am then working out at 8:00 still ok for being on an empty stomach.thank you guys so very much for giving me the confidence to go on........

I am confused...you do arms 3x a week?? and legs 3x a week? If so that is too much, you should split up your body and train each part 1x a week heavy and hard. Your body needs time to recover in order to grow and make any kind of progress. You can do cardio in the am on an empty stomach which is good, I sometimes find it hard to weight train on an empty stomach, but if you can do it and you have good workouts then go for it:) Otherwise weight train and then do your 60 minutes of cardio. Do you split your weight routine, like back and bis, chest and tris, legs, shoulders etc?? You can do several different routines and its good to change it every 4-6 weeks as well....I hope this helps a little..

Cardio on an empty stomach is really sort of short-hand for cardio without a ton of glucose in your muscles. If you do it first thing in the am, your glucose stores are easily depleted, and then you burn fat. So, no-- doing cardio at 5 in the afternoon, after breakfast and lunch, won't have quite the same fat-burning effect.

I lift first--only 2x a week and then do cardio for 60, except on lower body day, when I'm just too wiped. I started lifting 3-4 times a week to bring my muscles back from their lay-off, but when fat-burning became more of my goal, I switched.

I take 1 day off a week and I eat a cheat meal the day before legs.

To really get the best results try splitting your body into parts and working one part one time a week to start. This is called your "training split". So for example you might work legs (squats, rdl, lunges etc) on day 1, cardio day 2, back/chest day 3, cardio day 4, bi/tri/shoulders day 5, cardio day 6, rest day 7.

i know everyone on these boards seems to say to do cardio on an empty stomach, but i never could do it. i feel like shit. esp. in the morning. i always have to eat a hearty breakfast.

i have tried cardio after weights, it's okay after an upper body workout but legs? forget it. if you want to do it i would suggest no more than 30 minutes since your body is already taxed from the weights. a way ido it is weights 3 times a week with cardio on the other days. sometimes weights/cardio on one day but that' on the day i do only abs, calves and wrist curls so my body isn't overtrained.

If you want to burn fat, eating a hearty breakfast before cardio won't help. If you wnat to train CVS, I guess it's fine. Why not try eating a very small amount of something, if you really can't hack it on an empty stomach.

So, what if you can't do cardio first thing in the morning? Don't do it at all, if you can only do it later, cause it's a waste of time??? I don't think so. I'm sorry, but, I get really tired of ppl saying do cardio in the morning on an empty stomach...not everyone has the choice on when they do cardio.......

Ok I do cardio in the morning and afternoon - and after the talking of over training - I just wonder??
From warlobo's post about an hour of cardio - I do an hour of very brisk walking in the morning on an empty stomach 4 days a week.
Then in the afternoon - I do weights for an hour ( one body part each day) then 30 more mins of brisk walking for cardio. Walking on leg days is ok for me - I usually have to go really slow after weights on legs but I am a LOT less sore if I walk after.
hmmmm- wonder if this is over training or what??
Bunny

You remind me of how I was when i first started training!

It very much sounds like you are overtraining - as someone else said you need rest days! This is when your muscles grow, the more muscle you have the more body fat you burn doing relativly nothing at other times.

I think the best thing I have realised is that everyone's body works slightly differently what works for me may not work for you, trial and error.

I personally find that my BF levels drop when I do cardio in the mornings on an empty stomach. Some research that I've seen recently says that you should do your cardio after your weights work out?

Best advice I can give is - Take some rest days and try doing cardio at different times e.g either mornings on empty stomach - or after your weights - you'll figure out what works best for you then.

optimally, imo, doing about a half hour of cardio at 65% target heart rate first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and an eca is great for me... if i miss a morning of cardio then i always lift first and then do my cardio for 2 reasons:
1) if you do cardio and then lift, your weight training will not be as potent because you have already tired yourself from cardio
2) doing cardio first... you waste about 17 or so minutes just burning off the sugars you ate during the day, seems to me like a waste of time.
So weights first (better workout) then cardio (now you will burn fat instead of sugar)
that is what i have experienced to be a very successful combination

Top Bottom