Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

veg ideas?

msam76

Any ideas on how to create a good clean vegetarian diet? Have been off from working out for a while due to health problems. Became a vegetarian while off. I am really lost as to how to create a good diet for muscle building/fat loss with this new "way" of eating. Any ideas and advice is welcomed!

Hmmm, I can't help you as I eat about 1/4 cow and 2 chickens per day (ok maybe not that much...) --- was it recommended that you switch to a vegetarian diet by a health care professional? Is there someone who can help you put together a diet that meets your health needs but also is geared towards muscle growth?

Also are you completely vegan - ova / lacto ? Also identify what are the good protein sources available to you within your requirements? Nuts, legumes, eggs, etc?

PETA got to me. I watched too many videos and basically lost it. I am a huge animal lover (4 dogs, 2 cats) and it is really sad what the animals raised for food go through. And not to mention the mess that is stamped USDA pure...ugh. Basically, any part of the animal that is diseased becomes hamburger meat!

Milk I never really cared for, messed up my stomach a lot. Nuts I am fine with, no "real" eggs. I will consider eating meat that comes from local farmers. There is a buffalo farm near my house that i was thinking about visiting. Expensive, but humane treatment.

I am basically looking for good protein sources from non meat/low in bad fat foods. Any ideas will help. I love beans and nuts.

Well, I'm an animal lover too, but I won't go into my opinions about PETA ... :rolleyes: -- propaganda about as bad as Al Gore's selective view of global warming....

But I digress.... I do eat a pile of ground bison - Its not "organic" or any of that - its just available in 1 lb packages at Krogers (dunno what's available around you) for $4-5 / lb. I think maybe you might want to be really specific about what it is that you are willing to include in your diet. MS, who used to hang around on EF, was a vegetarian bodybuilder - so it is possible, but what her diet was I have no idea. But I think in general, a vegetarian diet does not lend itself well to a healthy and maintainable lifestyle if you are interested in having a focus on muscle mass. You've listed a number of things that would make a viable diet w/o setting yourself into a strictly vegetarian diet. But if this is your choice you should probably really dig in to educate yourself on how to achieve your goals with limited protein choices. Nuts and all that are great, but they are also high fat and not a lot of protein is available in them. Beans are another source, but can be high carb. Protein mixes are also options.

How about fish?

Lentils, black and kidney beans, spinach, tofu & tempeh, chick peas, broccoli, pumpkin and sunflower seeds are all good protein sources.

It's tricky - you have to review the macros because you will be getting carbs/protein from one food product and fat/protein from one food product so how you put meals together will have to change.

And you can always add protein powders to gain some overall grams of protein.

fish is ok with me. My biggest issue is with the carbs. darn things, can't get rid of them from any diet I have tried to come up with!

I am sorry, I should clarify. When I say meat I am mainly referring to pork and beef. Chicken is still iffy, but an staying away from it as much as possible.

msam76 said:
fish is ok with me. My biggest issue is with the carbs. darn things, can't get rid of them from any diet I have tried to come up with!

I am sorry, I should clarify. When I say meat I am mainly referring to pork and beef. Chicken is still iffy, but an staying away from it as much as possible.

Ah ok, so you're not going to be a Vegan?? That is VERY hard as the complete avoidance of any/all animal products is most difficult.....

In addition to the suggestions Velvett had - also try quinoa & tempeh & tofu......but note that I was at a BB seminar recently & someone asked about BBing & being a vegetarian & the nutritionist who was there said it is VERY VERY difficult if not almost impossible to gain/maintain muscle mass & be a vegetarian.

Top Bottom