Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Train me, PLEASE!

poopmonkey

Hi all.

My name is Amy and my boyfriend suggested I check out this link. I want to transform my body but dont really know where to get started. Here is a little bit about myself:

5' 10"
153 lbs

I just started to hit the gym - doing about 40 minutes of cardio (elliptical and running) 4 times a week. I dont really go near the weights unless I have a friend with me to guide me through it all.

I read through a lot of your posts but I dont quite understand what they all mean, the acronymns have me stumped.

I eat a low carb/ high protein diet but dont really know what I need to do beyond that and the cardio. Can anyone recomend a good workout? (in the simplest terms possible)

We took the before pictures tonight - and I aint happy at all. I thought I was a lot hotter than that! If you help me, Ill give you shout out when I post my after pics!! :)

Thanks for your help

Hey Amy!

Welcome to the boards. I'm new also (about 3 weeks...if that). What you'll hear is that you're on the right track, but you need to add the weights...and it is soooo true. If you're not sure how to use the weights, ask an employee of the gym...they should know how.
I'm 5"11 and used to weigh 178 (when I joined the boards). Way too much fat...and not toned at all. I changed my diet, I'm doing cardio every am, and using weights about 4 nights a week, sometimes 5 (still getting into a routine). BUT, I have to say that I now weigh 171, and my size 12 shorts are loose on me. I still wear them, but they aren't as tight as they were. I have more energy and feel great!
Everyone on here is great! The most help and advice (not to mention LOTS of encouragement) I've received were from Daisy Girl and Raina. They are such awesome girls! I work out with my hubby, and he knows a lot about working out (he's been doing it for a long time...years), but I take what the girls say to me like gospel! No joke. My diet is about the same as Daisy Girl's. The results of my changed lifestyle shows in the mirror everyday. I don't cringe when I look at myself anymore..lol.
Welcome again...I know you'll love it here. ;)

big4life said:
Welcome ladies. Here is a link to a sticky we have on the training board that has different workout methods to look at. It also has links to videos showing how each exercise is done.

http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=289306

The ladies here are great and ya'll can come over to training board also. We have a lot of helpful members there too.

Good luck. :)

That is great advice. Sometimes we do forget there are other places here for help and ideas.

What questions do you have about acronyms? Diet and/or workout ones?

Welcome! Post often! Don't be afraid to ask questions or give input, even if you think it is are silly. :)

thanks for the links

I did a lot of reading last night and today and have come up with a little something.

I plan to continue the 4 days of cardio - but switch to mornings.

I plan to add 2 protein shakes to my daily menu - which is right on with what most of your success stories include.

I plan to do a variation of the DC training with my boyfriend every 3rd day of the week.

My biggest problem, I think, is that Im still pretty intimidated about working with weights. My boyfriend and I agreed that we would do weight work together - problem solved.

Now, can anyone clarify what a good cardio workout is? I normally do about 15 minutes on the treadmill, 20 minutes elliptical on the cross-training setting and then 5 minutes of rowing at an intesity of 5.5.

I know that HIIT was mentioned; is that something I should do once a week or so? And if so, can you provide a good example of an HIIT for me to try out?

Angel Chic - the mere fact that you are wearing size 12 SHORTS makes me real jealous. Its about 9 degrees here and my shorts wont be out for a while. Im a bit smaller - pant size 8 - but am not tone at all, anywhere, kapoot. Good job on your work out. Lets keep in touch and share ideas/ suggestions...

Big4life - your link was great. Gave a beginner some choice. Cheers.

And Daisy-Girl, last night my boyfriend told me to log on and check out your photos, he was very impressed - I am too. Youll be my inspiration. Maybe you could help with the HIIT?:fro:

Poop,

Keep in mind that with 4 days of cardio DC training is VERY intense (especially if you haven't built up to it). Also, in order for it to really work, you should be consuming 3-4X your weight in protien. DC training is really about gaining large amounts of muscle. And done right IT'S BRUTAL!

That being said, I don't know what kind of modifications you and your BF are making to it. Sounds like you're not too too experienced on the weights. If that is indeed the case, I would warn you about going too hard, too fast with DC or something that heavy. You MUST give your joints, tendons, and connective tissues time to adjust to using weights (I'm speaking from experience here). Spend a month just getting used to using the weights. One option is to spend 2 weeks just on the machines, then move to the free weights for 2 weeks before you really start "upping" the poundage.

A good beginner routine with 4 days cardio would be the BFL(body for life) routine til you get comfortable with the "iron". Once you do, drop the BFL and move on to one of the programs in the stickys. Believe me the cardio in BFL will whip yer ass when you start too. Combined with Daisy's diet you should see some really good short term gains/losses.

Then you can post some pics like Daisy's and we can all drooll on our keyboards;)

Good luck to you! And as long as your making progress, no matter how small, remember IT'S PROGRESS!!!

Good post Griz. It is hard to remember to take it slowly when you are SO geared up! Sometimes it seems like going slow is the LAST thing you should do for results! lol But, growing happens outside the gym. We have to remember that!

Listen to your body, it will tell when it has had enough or wants more. :)

As far as HIIT goes, try starting with 1 HIIT workout a week for ~4 weeks, then increase to 2 when. You can go as much as 3, but it is not totally necessary. Treat HIIT as a weight workout - you need to give your body 48 hours recovery before doing another HIIT session.

Good way to start HIIT: 5 min warm up, 5 min cool down, 20 min of intervals. During these intervals, you can do 1 min hard, 1 min recovery. This might be too hard at first, so you might choose to do 1 min hard, 2 min recovery. You'll have to play with intensities to find where your 'hard' and your 'recovery' is. Hard means that you can do 1 min all out but that is it. Recovery is light-moderate.

Any Qs, PLEASE let me know. :)

Daisy_Girl said:

Listen to your body, it will tell when it has had enough or wants more. :)

Good way to start HIIT: 5 min warm up, 5 min cool down, 20 min of intervals. During these intervals, you can do 1 min hard, 1 min recovery. This might be too hard at first, so you might choose to do 1 min hard, 2 min recovery. You'll have to play with intensities to find where your 'hard' and your 'recovery' is. Hard means that you can do 1 min all out but that is it. Recovery is light-moderate.

Total agreement. I did the min. on/ min. off yesterday and all I did last night was couch surf, my ass was kicked. And today, as usual, my metabolism is cooking just sitting at my desk. I think I smell fat burning somewhere....

I used to switch between the BFL pattern (level a, b, c, d, e (repeat4 times and finish with level f) and the min on/min off. Seems to be little difference that I've noticed and calories burned are about the same (distance too). I think the point is to teach your body to run the engine hotter all the time (increase metabolic rate) which is what HIIT does.

And let's face it who's engine is hotter than Daisy's?:google:

I like HIIT too and because you're kicking your own butt and paying attention to the clock, it goes really fast.

I agree that BFL is a really well-explained and easy way to learn how to lift. Otherwise you could ask your boyfriend what his lift splits are (like chest/back, bi/tri, legs, shoulders) and do the same thing he's doing but with weight you can handle.

Welcome to Elite!

Top Bottom