Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Thyroid drugs

ballerinabody

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm brand new here and having a hard time finding any real opinions on all this...

I just got my TSH levels checked, but they were in the normal range (2.82). I sometimes feel sluggish and it sometimes seems like its harder for me to lose weight than it used to be. I'm not overweight, I'm 5'3" and 102 lbs. I just don't like the amount of that weight that is fat. According to my tanita, my body fat is about 16%. I'm getting married soon and I just HAVE to look toned for all that beach honeymoon action :qt: I have been way to busy this semester and haven't been to the gym in a while (I know, I know... Almost done with school... I'll start working out again once I'm done)

Anyway, should I try using a low dose of cytomel to give me a boost? I've read up on it a bit, but I want to know what all of you think. Is synthroid safer/better? Synthroid has to be converted, so I would think that cytomel would be better. I'm already on an amphetamine (adderall) and I heard that it isn't great to mix the two. And if I take it, HOW should I take it? Is it usually a couple weeks on and a couple weeks off? I really don't want to permanently screw up my thyroid.

Thanks for the help! (sorry if I posted this in the wrong place!)

:heart: (HOPING FOR A) ballerinabody

What's up. Alright first things first. F$#K the tanta. The don't accurately measure bodyfat on bodybuilder physiques. I've registered 30% on one and when I was infact 8% from more accurate methods. As for your thyroid, I'm assuming you are thinking of using thyroxin? I take it @ 112mcg ED, but that is perscribed since I am a plump slow grape without it. If I didn't need it I wouldn't take it. My suggestion, if messing up your thyroid is your concern and you are looking fort he results you say, it could be achieved via dieting and cardo. Bedfore you jump to any drastic methods try out a caloric deficit and diligent cardio routine. See how it works. Congrats on your wedding.

Mike

ballerinabody said:
..I really don't want to permanently screw up my thyroid...

Then DON'T self-medicate your thyroid!!! Really, you have just one, and it's VERY delicate. Even people who have thyroid problems and require medication have a very difficult time keeping things regulated properly. And they're not all running around looking body-beautiful perfect either.

Honestly, losing weight is hard for everyone. And, it'll get harder and harder every year because our bodies naturally lose muscle UNLESS you work that muscle. Remember the wonderful metabolism you had as a child, and how you could eat and eat because you were still growing? Well, it's sort of the same when you're training. Weight training keeps your muscles in a constant state of building and repair. You're may not be growing like a child, but your body requires extra calories to repair that muscle. Plus, since muscle is metabolically active, it requires more calories even at rest.

Is the Adderall a prescription or are you taking it for the extra energy? Beware of overusing stimulants of any kind. They can exhaust your adrenal glands (a major source of hormones) and make you feel like crap all the time.

Any chance you're on hormonal contraceptive? These can also make it nearly impossible to lose weight.

My advice is to do what we all have to do - workout and eat a good diet that will help you to put the most into your workout. My 'ol saying is 'Eat like an athlete, train like and athlete ==> LOOK like an athlete.

Last edited:
At 5'-3" and 102# your body is NOT going to want to shed any fat....FitFossils advice is quite sound....you will have to concentrate on building muscle, IMO...to second her advice stay away from any thyroid...it is not what you are looking for...your proportions are great to begin with...just build it...

I am 5'4" and whenever I have been below about 108lbs no matter what my BF I always felt ill and tired.Stimulants made me very shaky.You are probably low enough in 'bodyweight'.Adding some muscle through exercise and eating more will improve your look - you will weigh more but actually look and be leaner.

Thanks for the infor, everyone!
to answer some questions... yes, I have a prescription for the adderall. I've been on it for a few years, so it doesn't really make me jittery or anything anymore. I just started on Yasmin again, but that hasn't really changed anything. I know how hard it is to lose weight, I just feel like sometimes no matter how much I work, I stay the same. I was in the upper 90's last summer, but gained up to about 112-115 in the fall, so I've been slowly dropping from there.

My fiance was really against the idea of buying prescription medications without seeing a doctor. He's probably starting in medical school this fall so he really values all that, plus he's just worried about the effects it could have on me. I think its important to have a doctor monitor you, but I've seen a lot of doctors who just ignore everything I tell them and really don't seem to take me seriously. Sometimes I just think that it would be better for me to read up and take care of things myself, but I do agree that it isn't the best idea and I probably won't buy any thyroid medications. thanks for the concern, FitFossil.

So in another week, I'm done with school so I'll start working out again. I'll be out of the dorms, so I'll be able to have a little more say so as to what I eat. I've been a vegetarian for 7 years now (since spring of my freshman year of high school!) and I don't really eat fries or fried foods. I'm trying to eat more fruits and veggies and I'm trying to eat flax seeds for my omega-3's. That sound good? I also have a whole bunch of supplements (I get a bit obsessive with my supplements. I have cards for GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, AND Vitamin World)

Now that you all know everything about me ;) heh
thanks again! - Chrissy

ballerina...you need protein, protein, protein...not gonna find it on a veggie diet...start supplementing your body weight in grams.ie; 102#= 102 grams of protein each day...you will be amazed how your body will harden up and tone....this will also allow you to feel good working out, because the muscles will have something to work with...you wont feel like crap or be tired if you feed the muscles correctly when working out...

You CAN get protein on a Vegetarian diet, but you have to be VERY smart about it. Too many Vegetarians cut out all proteins and only take in carbs.

HOW Vegetarian are you? Do you eat eggs? Fish?

You need to make sure you are taking in enough protein...as PBR said. Lentils, soy, eggs, protein powder...etc.

Supplements are good, but they are NO REPLACEMENT for REAL food. Your diet should be primarily clean foods, then worry about supplementation.

Also, NO supplement will take the place of a GOOD CLEAN diet and a SMART WELL-THOUGHTOUT training program. :)

Thanks everyone!
Right now, I'm lacto-ovo vegetarian (I eat eggs and dairy, but no meat, poultry, or fish). I've been eating a lot of cottage cheese and yogurt. Cottage cheese is loaded with protein, so I think I'm okay with protein as long as I'm conscious of it. Actually I just did a nutritional science assignment where I had to make a 3-day menu for myself. The preliminary menu had only an average of about 1200 cals a day, but it still provided over 100% of my protein.
Once I'm out of the dorms and not so busy, it should be so much easier to eat better and exercise more. thanks :)

Top Bottom