Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Tanning beds

I managed a tanning salon for about a year and half and always encouraged clients to do a little flip action once in a while. Especially if you're a newbie to the tanning world. As another gal said, many people will form white spots, or begin to notice the sides aren't as tanned as the rest of the bod. Of course there's the underarms as well...those bad boys need tanning too. Truth about it (if you are concerned with it) your booty gets the best coverage when you flip...the bulbs on the top of the beds are ALWAYS stronger. And more often than not, the bulbs on the top are the ones that get changed when s'pose to. It really all depends on the place. Some owners like to keep a little extra dough in their pockets and run the lamps 200-500 hours longer than suppose to. Saves them money and has you coming back in more often than needed because you're just not "satisfied". If you've been tanning your whole life and wonder why some places produce better tan...there's your reason. This may be one of those TMI comemnts...but i'm italian...we don't have those moments in life..heh. Ever seen a guy nekkid and his booty is tanned all with exception to the crack area (there's gotta be a better word for "crack")...anywho...men never flip...i think for more obvious reasons. But, the booty gets plastered onto the bottom acrylic and ends up with a white spot in that vicinity. For me, 70% of my tanning experiences are found falling asleep and being RUDELY awakened by the quick drift of cold air....the other times...i rotate. Enlighten yourself...go in and ask a few different places how often they change their bulbs...when the last time the bed you used had it's bulbs changed....some will answer...many stutter through their answer...and the rest...have absolutely no clue. Get the most for your money when tanning. (dayum, i talk too much)

I used to flip over and move around a lot, even got up on my knees and elbows to make sure I didn't have a white line down the middle of my butt.

I don't tan under bulbs anymore because I've had skin cancer twice and today at my 6 month check-up I just had another biopsy done. Grrrrrrrrrrr. I do go in for spray tanning when I get tired of being so pale. I hate my Irish skin.

I'm not gonna preach but if you are tanning, go in for a complete skin check-up with a dermatologist once a year. It COULD save your life!

My gosh!!! Glad y9ou are well though. I have to be careful as well, as i too have a lot of irish blood in me. Every year when i go in for my girly appt, i have them do a complete work up..checken my skin blood ect...would advise the rest to see a dermetologist as well..you can never be to safe :)

I love to tan....but I figured this yr..39 I am done. My skin doesn't need any more help in the aging dept! I need to get a mole check again...but hate going...

You know I always would turn after so many minutes, but after reading this, and finding that many of you don't, i think I'm just going to lay back, relax, and fall asleep :)

Puddles said:
I used to flip over and move around a lot, even got up on my knees and elbows to make sure I didn't have a white line down the middle of my butt.

I don't tan under bulbs anymore because I've had skin cancer twice and today at my 6 month check-up I just had another biopsy done. Grrrrrrrrrrr. I do go in for spray tanning when I get tired of being so pale. I hate my Irish skin.

I'm not gonna preach but if you are tanning, go in for a complete skin check-up with a dermatologist once a year. It COULD save your life!
Oh, boy....where do I start. I own a tanning studio. The one thing that really ticks me off is the fact that most salons DON'T educate on sun exposure. MODERATION is key and DON'T EVER BURN. A sunburn is INSTANT skin damage. Some people tell me "I have to burn before I can get a tan" - BUllSHIT. It doesn't work that way. People need to start at a low exposure time and gradually work up without ever burning. Unfortunately, the younger people think your an idiot and they're invincable and don't want to listen. If you want to get darker faster, use a good INDOOR tanning lotion from your salon. You also should not be using a tanning bed every day.

There is a book called PARANOID NATION. This book explains why the health industry wants us all to be sick or fat. They make A LOT of money from our fear. SPF 50 - it's not needed. Just another ploy to get your money - did it work?

My staff is trained on skin typing and know how long to suggest for exposure time based on YOUR skin. Our lamps are NEVER over 600 hours, so we take special care with our clients skin.

The lamps are not always more stronger on the top. In our beds, the lamps are so close - top (and bottom, of course) that we don't need to put a stronger lamp in the canopy.

As far as turning over - I ALWAYS do. However, it is hard on the acrylics if the person doesn't evenly distribute their body weight.

Oh....ALWAYS wear eye protection!!!!! Your eyes are every bit as important as your skin! :)

Also, if you've always wanted to know something about tanning, but were afraid to ask, or never had the opportunity to ask - I'll tell you whatever you want to know - no BS or mumbling!

One thing I DO want to clear up - and then I'll SHUT up! lol YOU CANNOT COOK YOUR INSIDES FROM USING A TANNING BED! Many people still believe this to be true do to the urban ledgend about the girl who went to numerous tanning beds and then to the beach all in one day. UV rays can only penetrate to the 3rd layer of your skin. It DOES NOT go ANY deeper than that.

OK, I'm done! :lmao:

Great post scorpiogirl!

I had "given up" the sun and any active tanning and only recently after really feel like crap I thought I would try it again and just throw "caution into the wind". Between the slight flush of color and the feel good heat on my skin I'm going for ten minutes twice a month.

Is there any truth is SAD and tanning Salons?

velvett said:
Great post scorpiogirl!

I had "given up" the sun and any active tanning and only recently after really feel like crap I thought I would try it again and just throw "caution into the wind". Between the slight flush of color and the feel good heat on my skin I'm going for ten minutes twice a month.

Is there any truth is SAD and tanning Salons?
Do you mean - for the treatment of? If that's what you're asking, yes. UV from a tanning bed is the exact same thing as UV in the atmosphere. Many doctors will have their patients go to a tanning bed for treatment. Not only for SAD, but also for skin disorders and acne. The list goes on and on.

Funny you should ask that....the girl who I use to have do my chemical peels at my derms office called me last week wanting to know how to dispose of their UV bulb that they use in their "light box". It amazes me that derms tell their patients to completely avoid the sun, then they come in to be treated with the SAME EXACT THING!!!! One more instance of the medical industry trying to pocket our cash! Children are being born with Rickits (sp) now due to their mothers completely avoiding the sun. What does that mean? Ahhhhh, more money for the medical industry!

Sorry, V!!! I could go on and on about this stuff!! lol

I used to do lay down tan BUT I would get 2 white spots on my tail bone - I called them my bunny tail. And also 1 spot on each shoulder blade. I hated them. So I started stand up tanning and I love it because my salon has the stereo built in to the booth so you can blast some music to pass the time.

scorpiogirl said:
Do you mean - for the treatment of? If that's what you're asking, yes. UV from a tanning bed is the exact same thing as UV in the atmosphere. Many doctors will have their patients go to a tanning bed for treatment. Not only for SAD, but also for skin disorders and acne. The list goes on and on.

Funny you should ask that....the girl who I use to have do my chemical peels at my derms office called me last week wanting to know how to dispose of their UV bulb that they use in their "light box". It amazes me that derms tell their patients to completely avoid the sun, then they come in to be treated with the SAME EXACT THING!!!! One more instance of the medical industry trying to pocket our cash! Children are being born with Rickits (sp) now due to their mothers completely avoiding the sun. What does that mean? Ahhhhh, more money for the medical industry!

Sorry, V!!! I could go on and on about this stuff!! lol

Yes, I meant treatment of SAD.

My mother grew up in Germany during the war and she used to tell me stories how she had to go to the doctor or hospitial (I don't recall) for something like light box therapy. I'd have to ask her again to get refreshed on all the details but I remember it.

Dermatologist?

How ironic.

Top Bottom