Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

stuck in a rut

I consider myself a BB that wants to be REALLY strong so what does that make me????? Hmmmmmmmm

It seems to me that the important factor is "proper form" - you can get sloppy at 1- 4-6-8 or 20 reps and you are still going to hurt yourself. A 1RM with proper form is different from a 1RM whatever it takes to get it up.

LOL - I'm mulling over my own point myself! ha ha

I remember reading while studying for my personal trainer exam that 8-12 is the ideal rep range b/c much over 12 is endurance training & under 8, the risk of injury goes up. That's why I said that.

Now.... just HOW true is this statement? :) Before anyone bashes my ACE Personal Trainer certification (which I passed, btw), the INFO in the manual comes from ACSM.

My instinct & experience says that less than 8RM is OK *sometimes* (a few sets worth on a heavy day) for *advanced* people - but not an appropriate part of a training routine for someone not advanced.....

The question becomes - am I right [scientifically]? :) What do you think?

Gladiola said:

The question becomes - am I right [scientifically]? :) What do you think?

What works for YOU? Doesn't need to be scientific...the end justifies the means. Find the rep range that accomplishes the goals you want and you will have your answer.

temple asked why am i not resting between sets.

well, im doing drop sets. mostly because i LOVE them, but would switch if theres something more effective.

and on the topic of drop sets, spatterson said (and ive read this in other threads too)...................

I have used this method for 1-2 weeks in a row to get over a plateau, but never on a consistant basis. As for drop sets, they seem to serve a person better when done back to back, not with rest between.

of course, it takes a few secs to pull the weights off

ok. misunderstood ya. have been doing drop sets like they were all one really long set. will try resting 60 secs between.

no, no smith machine. (not sure what that is) partner and i are using the "mad dash to opposite ends of the bar" technique.

spatterson said:
If you are dropsetting with little rest, then you are not recovered to lift as much when you get under the bar again
Exactly! I think of a drop set as ONE LONG SET. I do this at the END of *all* my work for one body part. I normally do 4 sets per exercise, about 3 exercises per body part. When I am done (or near down) with a body part, I'll do 2 regular sets (6-14 rep range, depending), followed by one drop set which ranges anywhere from a total of 12 to 30 reps (depending on how much I under or overestimate how much strength I have remaining!)

The drop set is one final way to annihilate the muscle at the END of the workout (on a heavy day), & not an intergral part of the regular training.

I also have never done drop sets of squats.

spatterson said:
WHEW...!!!! I was busy searching for all the negative Smith Machine posts so I could paste them! :lmao:
Oooh oooh :wavey: can you paste them anyway? If there's any good data, I'd love to see it.

I've always just told ppl Smith machine stinks for the same reason that free weights are superior to machines -> your muscles have to work to stabilize the weights in space.

I consider myself a BB that wants to be REALLY strong so what does that make me????? Hmmmmmmmm

It seems to me that the important factor is "proper form" - you can get sloppy at 1- 4-6-8 or 20 reps and you are still going to hurt yourself. A 1RM with proper form is different from a 1RM whatever it takes to get it up.

As a general rule, the lower the reps, the better your form, especially on lifts with a high CNS/Skill requirement such as the Olympic lifts. A very good example is when squatting, the lifter will lean more and more with each successive repetition, increasing both shearing force on the erectors as well as direct shear on L4-L5. This is one of the reasons weightlifters and powerlifters have a lower injury rate than others, as their rep range is generally lower.

Top Bottom