Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Strongest Man/Woman of the West

slinky

patcontestcarpull%20copy.jpg

Straight to the point: I got third.

While I still qualified for Nationals, I won't go unless I win the "Hell on the Hill" in Portland on June 28. I'm sure B Fold has heard from Julie or Tod about the whole event...right, B? :)

While I'm definitely dissapointed, I did learn quite a bit from this past Saturday.

1) Stay hydrated. Begin drinking Gatorade and water the NIGHT before the event.

The day of the event, it got to be 87 degrees and the contest didn't begin until 1PM. By that time, we had all been out in the sun since 11AM. The first event, Farmer Walk, was changed from the 100lbs for 200ft listed in the Entry Form, to 110lbs (anvils NOT farmer walk implements) for 200 ft. Midway through the last 100ft, my legs and body just gave up. It was the most frustrating thing and I tried to fight it. But, nothing was listening. After chugging down a whole bottle of Gatorade after that event, the next event, tire flip went smooth. I flipped that 400lb tire for 100ft in 47-seconds. After that event, I finished up another bottle of Gatorade. I drank four bottles that day. Plus a gallon of water and any other bottles of water thrown my way.

2)EAT. I thought I had eaten enough (had a nice beeeeeg, juicy bacon burger Friday night), but didn't. NOTE: Remember to bring a softback cooler full of food to Nationals. (Oh, and I didn't have beer until about 8PM on Saturday evening, along with a nice sirloin. Thought some of you would like to know this :D)

3) Train on a variety of surfaces. The surface that most of the events were held was thick grass and uneven ground. Ko (my bf and ultimate strongwoman support) and I realized that my training now needs to included work on grass, gravel, etc.

4) Work on SPEED. While I was either as strong or stronger, the other two chicks were faster. Technique and speed. Very important in strongman.

5) I need to gain at least 4 more pounds of LBM. This will help in such things as car pulling or sled dragging.

I have rec'd some great advice from two men I really respect. The first is Christian Thibaudeau, Olympic/Strength Coach extraodinaire:
" remember my first strongmen competition... it was the most grueling thing I ever done in my life! And that's comming from a guy who played football for 9 years, rugby, hcokey, competed in several olympic lifting competitons and several other interesting activities!

Really it's impossible to know how hard such a competition is before you actually try it. The pain and incomfort is almost unbearable in most events.

Really, ranking doesn't mean squat in such contests. Some events simply advantage certain types of athletes. For example I kicked ass in the half deadlift (because I'm short) and in the log clean and press (because of my olympic lifting background) but got stomped in the Atlas stones (because I'm short) and in the Farmer's walk (because I have short hands).

Overall I placed 4th out of 6 competitors despite being stronger and more explosive than all but one competitor.

So there is really nothing to be sad about Patricia! With experience will come success! So I'll give you some goals for the next few years:

1. Win your next strongwoman competition

2. Compete in a powerlifting competition

3. Compete in an olympic lifting competition (which you'll be able to do after the Portland seminar)

Very few athletes can claim to have successfully compete in the 4 major strength sports ... so that shall be your goal Wonder Woman!"

And Coach Davies of Renegade Training:

"What can I tell you right now Patricia.

First - I don't want you forget this moment of being vanquished. In-fact, breathe it in, taste what it like to work hard and fall victim. Now everytime you are staring down in competition - remember this with every ounce of hatred you can muster.

Never be vanquished again - never.

You didn't lose in simple terms of speed and strength. You lost in the competition - you missed the point (don't be upset by this, most do). You missed the simple point that your training needs to reflect the competition as close to possible. Chao's is your cradle, your home.

We will talk - enjoy your night but remember your future is yours to make and victory lays ahead. Know, feel it ....

In faith,

Coach Davies"

I gotta tell you how I wished I could come onto this board today and post about my victory. Alas, it will have to wait until after June 28.

I learned from this contest. And while I'm dissapointed I did have a few things that I was pretty happy about.

1) I weighed in at a solid 128.5lbs. And was pretty darn lean. I had been getting leaner AND was gaining LBM during the last couple of weeks prior to this contest.
2)My tire flipping was solid. There was no wobbling of the tire, but a nice, solid thud as it landed. And I was on top of it instantly to flip it. I got a "picture perfect flipping" from Dione.
3)Even though I was the lightest competitor of the contest, I held my own.

And today, I'm still tired. Still sore. But I got another contest in three weeks. And I'll be ready for it. And after that, it's Nationals. And I'll be ready for that, too.

Thanks for all the support here. I can't tell you all how much it's meant. Truly meant alot.

You did awesome. I may copy and paste your advice and send it to all of my guys...if you don't mind.

I am proud of you...VERY proud!!!!

Check your email...I have something else on the way that might interest you.

B True

Good job... it looks like you did well in some pretty harsh conditions... :)

I'm sure you will do better next time...

C-ditty

I thank you all for the good words.

B: Kentucky Training Days may be a contest? Is that the one? If so, I say "COOL". I pointed that out to Ko last night, since what you have for the lightweight men would be perfect for him!
:)

Clean/press:

patcontestcleanpress%20copy.jpg

By this time, it was HOT, HOT, and HOT. AND the Apollons Axle had been sitting on the rubber mats; despite it being covered with towels, it was a VERY hot bar.

And I did get a sunburn. That in itself is amazing in that I haven't gotten sunburned since I was like, 17. So, remember sunblock! Luckily I did. And kept slathering it on all day. Now the sunburn is a tan.

Tire flip. That's me behind that tire - really, it is!

patcontesttireflipB%20copy.jpg

Here's another tire flip pic:

patcontesttireflip%20copy.jpg

It's a strange surreal thing, having a crowd cheering you on while you're performing these events. Surreal in a sense that I usually do this stuff for myself. It just seems wierd having total strangers cheering, applauding, etc. B: did you find that odd in your first contest? What about you, spatts? I saw that Julie was wearing ear plugs and I thought that maybe I should, too. But then I wouldn't be able to hear her, Tod or Ko. And that would be a problem.

As for the tire flip, it was the event after the Farmers. And as I had said previously, I was pretty damn proud of that flipping. Every other competitor after me had a somewhat wobbly tire, but not I. Also, since there was only one 400lb tire and one 495lb tire, they had a lightweight male competitor in the next lane with the 495. You'll see him way back behind me in one of the pics.

I've got more pics. Got some good ones of Jesse Marunde and Grant Higa. At the next contest, Jon Anderson will be there and I'll be getting some good ones of him, too. I can't wait to meet him! We have more pics in the regular camera that need to be developed and then scanned in. AND, some of those more than likely will be posted on Julie's website, too. So, stay tuned!:D

AWESOME!!!!!

I love Strongwomen!!!! It just looks tough to see them with an attitude, pushing themselves hard, and never giving up....gives me chills.

I remember my first contest...everyone yelling at me and nobody knew who I was.

At my third contest I remember doing the overhead press and hearing someone yelling at me and I thought that he was going to kill me if I didn't get another rep...lol. Turns out it was Chad Coy...yelling for me because he saw talent and heart in a competitor.

You did one heck of a job...flat out awesome.

I emailed you the events for the contest...will have the women's and teen's weights set up by late this evening. I think that you could do really well and you would have a chance to talk with a few women that can give you a lot of advice on the events for Nationals this year.

B True

wow, this makes me want to flip tires! This Saturday may be "push Nate's car around the parking lot" day...now if I could only find a 400 lb tire....

GREAT JOB SLINKY!! ;)

Top Bottom