Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squat bar - pad or no pad?

liavdh

I've heard that using the pad can throw off the position of the bar, and that it's not good to use it.

However, not using the pad results in really sore vertabrae at the base of my neck, and funny red marks on my shoulders. Am I holding the bar too high up? Or does everybody have this happen when they squat?

Thanks Makedah,

I read through that link, and the majority seem to say "no pad".

So I'll ditch it, and try to adjust a bit so the bar doesn't sit on that vertabrae. 8)

I think I'm doing something awkward in the Smith Machine, it doesn't feel comfortable, and I don't get the sore neck-bone problem when I squat without the Smith. But for now I have no spotter.. so I'm kinda stuck with it.

It is technically possible to free squat without a spotter - if you fail at the bottom, you just trhwo the bar off your back, sort of, by kinda leaning back.

OR, do front squats - that way, if you fail you just toss the bar forwards - easy, and safe :)

But no pad either way is best.

Well there is a squat rack, but I'm a bit nervous about squatting without a spotter... especially since I like to go as close to failure as I can.

It'd be pretty embarassing if I got stuck in the bottom of a squat, and had to slither out from under the bar on my stomach... :)

There's so much potential for embarassment in the gym!

SteelWeaver, do people really do that? Toss the bar off their back if they get stuck down there? My gym is pretty congested, I'd be afraid of "ejecting" onto someone's toes. :) I mean, don't get me wrong, in an emergency situation I'd do it, but I don't know that I'd feel comfortable making that part of my weekly routine. And yet I really dislike the Smith machine... hmm.... what to do? Maybe, like you suggested, I'll learn the front squat... I've never done it before, but I'm sure I can figure it out. That way I could still go to failure, and not worry about breaking toes.. (I do believe that's frowned upon). :)

The problem is, hardly anyone at my gym squats. I saw one girl, but she was kinda cheating, not even going halfway down.. so I know she wouldn't be able to spot for me...

I never squat with a spotter, and I only free squat. And I'm not using sissy weights either.

And yes, I dropped the weights off my back once - just let it roll right off. I really don't care what other people at the gym think though, so I thought nothing of it. If you're in a squat rack, position the safety bars so you can break parallel without hitting them, but keep them high enough so they can be used in case of emergency. And you're not going to hit anyone; if they're stupid enough to be that close to the squat rack while you're squatting, then they deserve to get hit. You can always be direct and tell people to clear out before you start squatting.

That's one thing about the gym and free weights in general; don't be timid about them. You'll get more gains IMO from a free squat than a smith squat, and lack of a spotter shouldn't deter you. I seriously haven't had a spotter for bench or squats in years.

Oh, and no pad. I've never used a pad either. I also don't use weight gloves or wraps; only chalk. I'm rather proud of my calluses.

What she said - I've only had a spotter once or twice, when I was trying a bench press max. Never had a spotter while squatting.

Top Bottom