Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

soreness

Does anyone recommend any supplements. Ive been searching threads but its a little overwhelming.!!!i started taking glutamine-sr. anyone have any feedback on it? thanks!!!!

Soreness, (actually DOMS, for Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) the current thinking is that it's caused by oxidative stress of the muscles. It's not an indicator of how good your workout was.

I can tell you that some of us are ALWAYS sore to some small degree or another, and some people get very little DOMS. It WILL get better (lessen) as you become more used to the exercises.

Once you have it, there's really very little you can do OTHER than ibuprofen (and there are some folks who recommend against that becuase it interfers with protein synthesis, I don't know about that and I can't comment).

I can tell you that it's best to try to head it off before hand, warm up sufficiently, (I think including some stretching helps), and in terms of supplements I've found alpha lipoic acid, wheat grass juice, coenzyme Q10 and BCAAs to help.

Once it's set in, the only thing you can really do is rely on hot shower, patience, some light exercise and easy stretches. I think an epsom salt bath if you're really sore might help, too (and good old ibuprofen).

It really does get easier the more you workout.

L-glutamine immediately after a workout helps me. Also, my trainer told me to take a COLD bath. I thought he was nuts but it totally works. He said his football coach told them to soak in an ice tub really quick after practice and that the gys who did that were fine and pain free and the guys who took hot showers were gimps.

DOMS is due to overworking a muscle and does not represent progress IMO. Be careful that you aren't doing to many reps/sets/exercises.

Personally I Squat 3x a week, Row 2x, and Deadlift 1x a week and I do not get sore. Now if I go in and do 25 sets of leg extentions/leg curls/leg press/etc then I get sore - but I don't get stronger or aquire more muscle.

I agree with much if not ALL of this...

• If you know you've overdone it, take a cold (yes) COLD shower, bath, or swim as soon as possible. Racehorses get this treatment, too. Or, if a cold
shower isn't your thing, apply an ice pack to your muscles for 20-30 minutes every hour. Cold constricts (closes) the blood vessels and keeps the blood away from the injured muscles, which reduces the inflammation.

• Avoid heat for the first 24 hours. Applying heat to sore muscles within the first 24 hours can increase muscle soreness and stiffness. Heat causes the blood vessels to dilate(open), which causes fluid to accumulate, resulting in swelling.

pain
• Take anti-inflammatory medication such as aspirin or ibuprofen, unless you are allergic to them, or have another condition that prevents you from taking them. Always follow label directions.

• Do gentle stretches, or go for a walk or a swim. Getting some light exercise the day after intense exercise helps move waste products out of the muscle and into circulation, and ultimately toward excretion.

• Use massage carefully. A gentle massage one or two days after overdoing it increases blood circulation and promotes healing. However, massaging your muscles too soon or too vigorously can increase soreness.

• Listen to your body. Pain is your body's way of telling you that you overdid it. Remember, you don't need to feel pain to get results. Start slowly and build up gradually to keep involved in your exercise program."

http://www.mgh.org/well/mar99/fit.html

Top Bottom