Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Scott Abel - Metabolic Damage

alex2678 said:
Good read. Scott Abel's a great trainer. He routinely has his clients consume 10 plus pickels a day for sodium up until the week before a show to help support metabolic functioning and hormone levels. Not a big fan of his 12,000 calorie a day off season eating recommendation but plenty of good points all around in that article.

Shadow: Whatever happened to Alphie Newman? I know she totally messed up her thyroid and gained quite a bit of weight. She's not involved in the fitness industry anymore altogether?
Scott is fantastic actually was considering training with him but he is leaving Ontario for BC and if I am going to pay that kinda money I want to see the trainer face to face. LOL

superqt4u2nv said:
Scott is fantastic actually was considering training with him but he is leaving Ontario for BC and if I am going to pay that kinda money I want to see the trainer face to face. LOL

Yeah I know what you mean. The long distance training thing never really works out that great. I've seen some of his clients. They all come in amazing shape come contest time.

The thing I kept seeing in his blog is "too much cardio (overtraining) and not enough food". Any trainer worth being called a "Trainer" would know better than to tell his/her clients to train/eat like this. I think the people who have no education on how to maintain metabolic health and how NOT to damage it are the ones who get screwed up buy just listening to Joe Schmoe at the gym.

I think it's pretty safe to say that we here on THIS board are educated on "the need to feed" if you will.......to keep the body functioning properly.

I've heard that many figure girls eat like crap all year round and then try to force their bodies into overdrive with too much cardio and not enough calories/nutrients - THAT is stupidity. Someone also told me that the BB'ers get pissed at the Figure girls backstage for sitting around eating candy bars. Don't know if that's true, but it seems to fit the mold. Just curious........is this just in Figure?

scorpiogirl said:
The thing I kept seeing in his blog is "too much cardio (overtraining) and not enough food". Any trainer worth being called a "Trainer" would know better than to tell his/her clients to train/eat like this. I think the people who have no education on how to maintain metabolic health and how NOT to damage it are the ones who get screwed up buy just listening to Joe Schmoe at the gym.

I think it's pretty safe to say that we here on THIS board are educated on "the need to feed" if you will.......to keep the body functioning properly.

I've heard that many figure girls eat like crap all year round and then try to force their bodies into overdrive with too much cardio and not enough calories/nutrients - THAT is stupidity. Someone also told me that the BB'ers get pissed at the Figure girls backstage for sitting around eating candy bars. Don't know if that's true, but it seems to fit the mold. Just curious........is this just in Figure?

I would bet the girls who train like BB competitors but compete in figure take it seriously off season as well. The girls who are doing figure because they maybe lost some weight or whatever and don't really view themselves as hard core competitors have missed the whole purpose of the fitness lifestyle and see "off season" as freebie time and don't feel like they have to be on the ball until 16 weeks out. They can lean down but they will not have the muscle mass.

RE: candy bars - there are so many different approaches to the carb up on competition day - I'm much more conservative in what I would use for carb up in terms of not looking forward to it as time for a sugar free-for-all and would stick w/ basic foods that have been on my diet for the last 4 months. Another comment I've noted from a very experienced FBB competitor who has trained figure competitors is that figure competitors generally don't get lean enough that the whole water deplete / carb up even works all that great for them - the point of that is to suck all the water out & get as much full muscle exposed as possible - whereas that goes completely against the "soft feminine" look of figure. I would actually be very interested to know just how much it does help for figure competitors over the course of those last few days. Some competitors I've seen are practically as lean and ripped as FBBs but generally that is frowned up in judging.

Miss24k said:
I'm almost afraid to work with another trainer.

I know the feeling!! :worried:

SG - I've seen BBers backstage eating Gummi bears, candy & jelly right out of the jar with their fingers.....so there's all diff. approaches like Sassy said...

I'm gonna' go out on a limb and say this probably isn't an issue in Fitness or BB due to the need for constant conditioning rather than just cutting (for the most part). Make sense?

scorpiogirl said:
I'm gonna' go out on a limb and say this probably isn't an issue in Fitness or BB due to the need for constant conditioning rather than just cutting (for the most part). Make sense?

I'm sorry I'm not understanding what you mean here.

Are you saying that you don't think metabolic damage is an issue for fitness and BB?

Honestly here anyway Figure and BB are looking the same. It's so hard to tell to the difference because the girls are getting crazy lean.

I have a friend who is competing in a Figure show soon, and she needs to be leaner than she was at her last show (The last show she was 8% and she looked it) So she's going towards 6%. Now if the figure girls are getting to 6% what do the BB'ers have to get to. :worried:

scorpiogirl said:
He did mention in the artical that he had scene this in the past with some female BB. I think that the concern comes from the type Sassy mentioned woman that lost maybe 20lbs on there own then decide hey I want to do a figure comp higher a trainer that pushes them regardless of there true potentail. Lets face it there is a certain genetic code that is needed to be truly sucessful in the sport. I think the main point he is getting across would be to balance on and off season. Also when competing rather then killing yourself for a specific show being able to say hey I am not going to be ready for it that is ok I will do the next one coming up. It is so hard to do I know that you get tunnel vision and the competition becomes do or die. You do certain things that are to extreme for your boby.

Miss24k said:
I have a friend who is competing in a Figure show soon, and she needs to be leaner than she was at her last show (The last show she was 8% and she looked it) So she's going towards 6%. Now if the figure girls are getting to 6% what do the BB'ers have to get to. :worried:
Exactly!!! I was aproxmitly 12% on stage for my comp and looked like a cow next to the top 3. I keep hearing all this softer etc for figure yet I go out to the shows and I don't see it. I say fuck it if I have to get down to 6% why bother with figure may as well do body building at least that way I get to do more then a quarter turn.

Top Bottom