Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Reps/Weight Issues

AFeedz

High End Bro
Platinum
I've been a little confused about some things. My current problem/goal is that I'm trying to lose fat from certain areas of the body, but I don't really want to build much muscle at all, just lose fat.

So my problem is this: I had met with a personal trainer at my gym maybe 2 months ago and had a session with her and my friend. My friend is smaller than me and isn't trying to lose any fat, but to build a little muscle and tone up. So for my friend, the trainer suggested less reps with more weight and for me, to lose fat, she suggested more reps/less weight.

I really liked her, but I just want some backup advice or a second opinion. Is this accurate? Because I don't want to waste my time. I'd hate to exercise in that manner only to find out that's not the best way to go about it. I know this stuff doesn't happen overnight, and I don't mind putting in the work, I have been for months. I just want to know that I'm going about it the most effective way possible.

Advice?

You're really asking two questions:
1. Is it possible to spot reduce using weights? The short answer is NO. When you lose weight, you lose it all over your body, according to your metabolism and body habitus. The only way to spot reduce is to get lipo.

2. Would lower weights/higher reps help me accomplish my goals? Any time you increase muscle mass, while eating a healthy number of calories, you're increasing your metabolism which means you will burn more calories. Eventually you will lose weight as long as you don't increase the amount of food you're eating.

Generally speaking, lower weight/higher rep builds explosive strenght, it stimulates the short fiber muscles, which get bulky, faster. Higher rep/lower weight promotes muscular endurance, stimulating the long fiber muscles, which are generally "thinner" looking muscles (think of the way a power lifter looks compared to say, a marathon runner).

I've been a little confused about some things. My current problem/goal is that I'm trying to lose fat from certain areas of the body, but I don't really want to build much muscle at all, just lose fat.

Achievement of that goal will be more a function of your total daily calories and macronutrients than the TUT (time under tension) of your weight lifting workout.

As for fat loss sites, sure you'd heard this before but you'll likely lose it from the area(s) where you last gained it. If the last ten pounds went to the hips, that'll be the place it is removed by your metabolism when you experience a sustained caloric deficit. The speed/rep range of your weight lifting wont have any impact on that.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. Guess I'll just continue eating well and working out as I have been and see what happens :)

The girls are correct. It will call come down to your meal plan.
BTW. I have seen bikini and figure girls lifting heavy. You really have to plan to get big. I would not worry about it too much.
If you post up your meal plan along with everything you drink and your routine the ladies here will help you achieve your goals. A journal is another great thing. It will keep you from cheating because you don't want everyone to see you cheated. Same thing with skipping the gym. You might want to start one up on here. You will motivate others and people will chime in with things they have learned that will save you time and effort towards your goals!
Best of luck.

Top Bottom