Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

"strength standards" where do you stack up?

I love watching, reading just knowing the wts women pl'ers move. Shoot and I was feeling very full of myself for having increased my dead by 90lbs. I guess 225@ 10 reps isn't too bad for an old biddy like me. I know I really should'nt do that high rep thing and next time I won't, it just went up so easy.

Yeah Steele like your sense of humor--come on we all know you are the real deal!

I'm as real as they come valerie, and I can't lift that, so pat yourself on your old wrinkled back and give yourself a power handshake from me, because you, hon, are truly the real deal, which this board would be the loser without.

:D

Oh, hang on - wait ... oh, I CAN lift that, but not very well, heh heh.

Oopsie, got my kilo and pound conversions mixed up.

Of course that doesn't change anything I said about you, valerie :)

I watched a guy squat 530 for 3 the other day - went up nice and easy. Amazing. He's only 21, been training about 3 years, completely natural. He has a fine future ahead of him.

SteelWeaver said:
I watched a guy squat 530 for 3 the other day - went up nice and easy. Amazing. He's only 21, been training about 3 years, completely natural. He has a fine future ahead of him.

When you're around people who lift like this, it totally skews your perception of how much people should lift. I've been lucky enough to train with a couple of world level PLers - one who lifts in the 181 lb class and another who's a heavyweight (no lb. limit). One day in the gym, the heavyweight squatted 800 lbs for doubles; no one else squatted that day even though a few guys came in from another gym specifically to use the free standing squat racks. It's hard to follow up that act. :)

JJFigure said:

When you're around people who lift like this, it totally skews your perception of how much people should lift.

That's pretty common in our gym. Sometimes when you're around those "freaks" alot it makes you second guess your own strength. Then, you see the average Joe working out and realize exactly how far you have come.

This was over a two month (or so) period of time. I did it by really working on bringing my hams up. I used good mornings, pull thrus, sldl, etc. I added a small amount of wt each w/o. What helped was that as I was doing this my grip strength also improved. I w/o 3 times a week and each time I would do one lower back or ham move, in addition to whatever bodypart being worked. All of this thickened my back, traps, rear delts. Glutes really changed shape and hams are now much improved. Hips as well.

I hope to continue to improve. Deads are way easier for me than squats. Have to work hard on them as well.

Well, next week I see where I'm at in the dead. I'd like to hit a 320 or 330 PR in the gym.

Reading this thread has made me feel like a wimp!

Top Bottom