Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

"Must do high reps for Bodybuilding"

So maybe I missed something, but to gain strength and mass you need to do atleast 4+ sets of 15+ reps? How much weight (range of weight) are we talking? Sometimes on my measly 3 sets of 15, my muscles feel like they are gonna burst!
Do you end up spending 5 hours in the gym!?!?!?:eek2:

To gain strength, your time under tension (TUT) s/b 20-40 seconds - probably 5 reps or less, depending on your cadence. To hypertrophy, your TUT s/b 40-70 seconds - probably 12 reps or less, depending on your cadence. If you have a very fast cadence, you could maybe get by with 15 reps.

In other words, 4 sets of 15+ reps isn't the ideal way to lift if you're trying to gain strength and/or mass.

Okay, so I should do less reps and more sets with my TUT anywhere between 20+ seconds depending on my cadence? F
For example: 5 reps of 12 sets

Am I understanding this right:)

I have been wasting time!

You've gotta try what works for you. I wasted a lot of my time in the 6-8 rep range because thats what the guys at the gym told me to do. MY BODY responds better to higher reps and super/tri/giant sets. For legs I have to go for 20+ reps. 20 rep squats did more for my legs than squatting really heavy did. Give it a go. Find out what works for you. good luck!

I wouldn't increase your sets that high. 5 sets of 5 is one of the standards a lot of BBers use to put on mass. I actually do more of a PL format using different variation of sets/reps like 5x3s, 4x4s, 4x5s, etc. for my multi-joint movements, and sets like 3x6, 2x8 for isolation movements.

Thanks guys, I am learning sooo much from these boards!
Sometimes I just feel like I don't know what the heck I am doing in the gym as far as my routine (even though I track everything!) and I haven't really seen a change. So this is very helpful.
Main body parts I want to build are legs and bi's.
I do not feel like I had a good workout if I am not sore the next day!

Top Bottom