x
Almost there! Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access.
EliteFitness.com FREE Email Series: How You Can Use Winstrol, Masteron, HGH, and Testosterone for a Perfect, Muscular Physique!
- -
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.
- -

"Must do high reps for Bodybuilding"

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about "Must do high reps for Bodybuilding" within the Women's Fitness (Female Bodybuilding and Training) category.

Excerpt: "Must do high reps for Bodybuilding" This according to the trainer at Gold's who "wants to put me on stage" & thinks I'd "make a great project" he's done comps himself. He's advocating sets of 15+ reps & way more sets than I currently do - like 20 sets for chest, for example (I do 12: 3 exercises, 4 sets each). According to the post by Realgains, he's an idiot. He has a great physique & *claims* to be natural. I still thought anywhere from 8-12, maybe up to 15 for lower body was

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Good Bro
    So maybe I missed something, but to gain strength and mass you need to do atleast 4+ sets of 15+ reps? How much weight (range of weight) are we talking? Sometimes on my measly 3 sets of 15, my muscles feel like they are gonna burst!
    Do you end up spending 5 hours in the gym!?!?!?

To gain strength, your time under tension (TUT) s/b 20-40 seconds - probably 5 reps or less, depending on your cadence. To hypertrophy, your TUT s/b 40-70 seconds - probably 12 reps or less, depending on your cadence. If you have a very fast cadence, you could maybe get by with 15 reps.

In other words, 4 sets of 15+ reps isn't the ideal way to lift if you're trying to gain strength and/or mass.

Good Bro
    Okay, so I should do less reps and more sets with my TUT anywhere between 20+ seconds depending on my cadence? F
    For example: 5 reps of 12 sets

Am I understanding this right

I have been wasting time!

BronzedGoddess
    You've gotta try what works for you. I wasted a lot of my time in the 6-8 rep range because thats what the guys at the gym told me to do. MY BODY responds better to higher reps and super/tri/giant sets. For legs I have to go for 20+ reps. 20 rep squats did more for my legs than squatting really heavy did. Give it a go. Find out what works for you. good luck!

I wouldn't increase your sets that high. 5 sets of 5 is one of the standards a lot of BBers use to put on mass. I actually do more of a PL format using different variation of sets/reps like 5x3s, 4x4s, 4x5s, etc. for my multi-joint movements, and sets like 3x6, 2x8 for isolation movements.

Good Bro
    Thanks guys, I am learning sooo much from these boards!
    Sometimes I just feel like I don't know what the heck I am doing in the gym as far as my routine (even though I track everything!) and I haven't really seen a change. So this is very helpful.
    Main body parts I want to build are legs and bi's.
    I do not feel like I had a good workout if I am not sore the next day!