Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

"Must do high reps for Bodybuilding"

20-30 sets does seem like an awful lot for each bodypart. I can see training the larger muscle groups for higher numbers of sets but can you imagine doing 30 sets for shoulders????? The rep issue, I agree to do with what works for you. I like to work with a little higher reps for a muscle group like triceps but I like to get a really deep in the muscle burn....but again, that's just for me.
I think this "trainer" sounds like a meathead!

Well.....research indicates tht hypertrophy is maximized in a total TUT of 40-60 seconds per set......so 15 reps with a 2 second concentric and eccentric and no pause will barely fit into this range

If you are preparing for bodybuilding competition, 15+ reps seem too much, I don't think too good for gaining size

Chad Waterbury has written a few articles about performing "100 Reps to Bigger Muscles". He believes that, sometimes, more can be better.

I've tried a few of his recommendations. Such as 100 pushups (I do knuckle push ups) and did see a improvement in my bench (and pecs, tris). Next, I'm going to try the "100 reps" theory for my calves.

I would say that a higher volume approach, at times, can be a nice change of pace. You know, to pick up a lagging bodypart or for a mental kick in the ass. But, to a drug-free competitor in need of added mass, to perform high volume training only occasionally.

I personally feel that bodybuilders need to stay heavy throughout their entire dieting phase. I my opinion swithching to an all high rep program looses intensity and strength which are both critical to keeping your muscle mass in any calorie defficient diet. However precontest I love adding in supersets and drop sets. I often hit 50-100 reps, but the weight is decreasing. Usually if you can do 50 reps of an exercise it is way to easy. Dropsets insure you are ripping up every last fiber.

I think you should be doing sets of 6, 8, 10 ,12, 20, 30 ,50...you get my point. Dont let him talk you into "high reps gives you cuts, because that is complete bullshit. I can stay at 8 reps/set and still get striations in my muscle.

I am w/ Spatts...always spice it up.

I do think you can handle 15-18 sets for big muscle groups and 10-12 for smaller ones. But If you are going all out sometimes 10 ggod sets is all you need.

I tossed my cookies today in my leg workout after a 5 set drop set on the leg press...its been 4 hours and I still can't see straight. I only did 10 sets of legs and can hardly walk!

high reps DO give you cuts.....indirectly.....they generally will increase respiration rates and they increase training time...which burns calories.

"I only did 10 sets of legs and can hardly walk!"

I can do it with fewer sets than that, assuming you can make it through without heading to the can.

W6

Cornholio said:
high reps DO give you cuts.....indirectly.....they generally will increase respiration rates and they increase training time...which burns calories.

could you do the same thing with heavier weight & fewer reps or do a circuit to increase/maintain a higher heart rate?

W6, is that WITHOUT forced reps, drop sets, rest pause, etc? Because I can do legs in 10 sets or less only if I include those techniques - or long eccentrics, pauses, etc.

And, not being funny or anything, but I have the feeling guys get nauseous on leg training more easily than women, judging by the number of posts about it on the training board. I've worked with my trainer to the point where I literally can't control my leg muscles, and actually dropped to the floor when I got off the machine, (ha ha - I was pretty surprised!) but no nausea .... more like elation (well, after the initial heavy panting).

Glads, I can see a place for high volume work now and then, like slinky said. I had good results doing 10 sets of 10 with 10 sec breaks for calves, and occasionally do the W6 50-rep leg press set, and often do drop sets, which technically is high volume, but allows you to keep the weight heavier. I can't see doing that many sets though, with that many reps. It sounds tiring. I mean - I used to do 12-16 sets per body part, then had that whole long discussion here a few months ago, about volume, and have since cut the number almost in half, with great results. Who knows, maybe just the change was what caused the results, but I certainly feel I can perform more intense, efficient workouts these days.

Top Bottom