Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

"Free foods" question

SteelWeaver

So, the fad diet world always has a list of "free foods", of which one can eat as much as one likes, such as cucumber, celery, tomatoes, fake sweetener, etc.

My question is, does the bodybuilding world have the same? Or do we count every single carb? If I'm 5-10 carbs over or under the allotment, is that acceptable?

(MS, if you're watching, please don't tell me off - really, it's a legit question - I have plenty to eat, but palateable is always a goal, and I want to do this exactly right - I really don't know the answer).

When dieting, it is important to stay happy or you'll most likely come off the diet. Pick a diet you think you can handle, and will most likely be able to incorperate into your daily life. If you pick a low carb diet and it works, stick with it. If you happen to go over one day because you had some extra food, or a food you are not supposed to have...so what? If you must cheat every now and then to be able to stay on the diet, then so be it. It won't kill you, and neither will 5-10g of carbs extra.

TheGame23 said:
When dieting, it is important to stay happy or you'll most likely come off the diet. Pick a diet you think you can handle, and will most likely be able to incorperate into your daily life. If you pick a low carb diet and it works, stick with it. If you happen to go over one day because you had some extra food, or a food you are not supposed to have...so what? If you must cheat every now and then to be able to stay on the diet, then so be it. It won't kill you, and neither will 5-10g of carbs extra.

Good post. I agree. :)

The only times you should limit 'free' foods is if you're on a ketogenic diet (which is hopefully never) or for a week before a BB competition. Enjoy!

Yay! Exactly the answers I wanted. Thank you. Just one thing I forgot to ask. What IS the free foods list? Or even better, how are free foods defined? Obviously zero or super low fat, but up to how many carbs, approximately? Like, 2 carbs per 50 grams or so?

Or is there a web site?

OK, these are the things I think are free. Could someone give me an aye or nay? Or additions.

cucumber
tomato
celery
zucchini
green pepper (?)
mushrooms
coffee (no milk)
tea (no milk)
diet soda
artificial sweeteners
lettuce
cabbage?
non-fat salsa

Sugars....

If you are watching carb content, be careful things like tomatoes, salsa, and carrots.(not on your list)

Ripe tomatoes can be high in sugars, and processed tomatoe products like salsa may have added sugars too. Like the drug adds say, "Read and heed all label warnings!"

Thanks spatterson and BigEasy. Well, the salsa is that practically zero calorie non-fat, non-sugar, and 2 grams of carbs per 50 grams or so type. What it does have is tons of sodium, so I'll have to drop it sometime. Good to hear that about ripe tomatoes - I was thinking of making my own salsa ...

As for what these foods can offer me: well, I train at night, and since I started my carb cycling, on the "low" days, I eat just about all my carbs for the day post-workout. So, believe it or not (since this is a gaining diet), I'm hungry during the day. Cottage cheese, egg whites and protein shakes aren't doing it. So I thought if I could add some cucumber and celery and tomato or something to the cottage cheese, and salsa to the egg whites, it would be prettier to look at, easier/tastier to eat, fill me up for longer, and keep me regular (I just came off a very high fiber eating routine, and the change is ... uncomfortable).

The nutritional content isn't really a big issue, because the rest of my diet is planned and executed down to the last gram (with laser precision) thanks to a great deal of help from MS and some trial software.

Too much coffee is a bad habit, one of my last, which will go sometime soon ... :( I have one diet soda every two weeks or so - sometimes one just has the urge - or it keeps people off your back about not drinking.

So I just wanted to be sure that after all the careful planning I wouldn't be shooting myself in the foot.

Oh heaven forbid I should give up coffee. What would be my motivation to get up in the morning? But I only drink coffee on an empty stomach, so absorption probs will hopefully be minimized?

The foods you listed look OK to me. All things in moderation. A little salsa, a little sweetener, lots of fibrous veggies (oops what happened to moderation?)

Don't sweat the small stuff at this stage. Save that for when you're cutting. For now consider those veggies you listed as completely free. If the bodyfat starts to creep up you can always change things around.

Top Bottom