Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Putting Together Strength Routines

highoctane

So I've been thinking a lot about what Treilin said in my Progress Thread, regarding breaking my workouts into Back, Legs, Chest/Arms/Abs, Shoulders/Abs, Back/Shoulders, etc. And it's been a pretty quiet morning here at work, so I've had some time to do some research...but I must admit, I didn't major in anatomy, so I'm not quite sure how to go about building the best program in terms of effectiveness.

The program I'm currently working with is a circuit routine, that basically trained my whole body in one session. I like the idea of splitting it up (because it means I can increase my time on the weights at the gym each week), but am looking for some friendly advice.

Do any of you have any suggestions on good start programs for all of the above splits?

Have you tried looking through the thread The Shadow Project. I along with many other girls on here are following this program with good results. :)

Browse around exrx.net -- this is a great reference for different exercises by muscle group as well as building a program. The Shadow Project is a great program all laid out. There are also several strength-oriented programs / approaches in the Training Vault sticky on the Training Board.

highoctane said:
I like the idea of splitting it up (because it means I can increase my time on the weights at the gym each week), but am looking for some friendly advice.

Do any of you have any suggestions on good start programs for all of the above splits?

I am not sure what exactly you mean by "increase your time" with weights. Remember, more time does not equal better results. You need to concentrate on maximizing time at the gym with smart exercise choices and heavy lifting. A good weight training only routine is rarely over an hour. Usually is around 45 minutes or quite possibly less.

I really like this basic split/routine:
Monday - Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Wednesday - Back/Biceps
Friday - Legs

Or you can do:
Monday - Chest/Back
Wednesday - Shoulders (and Legs, or have Legs their own day on Saturday or Sunday)
Friday - Biceps/Triceps
Saturday or Sunday - can be Leg only day if you do not combine it w. Shoudlers

There are so many combos ..... it is easy to make your head hurt coming up with combinations. Basically, you need to get a program together and execute it for a few weeks and see how it works for YOU.

Daisy_Girl said:
I am not sure what exactly you mean by "increase your time" with weights. Remember, more time does not equal better results. You need to concentrate on maximizing time at the gym with smart exercise choices and heavy lifting. A good weight training only routine is rarely over an hour. Usually is around 45 minutes or quite possibly less.

I really like this basic split/routine:
Monday - Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Wednesday - Back/Biceps
Friday - Legs

Or you can do:
Monday - Chest/Back
Wednesday - Shoulders (and Legs, or have Legs their own day on Saturday or Sunday)
Friday - Biceps/Triceps
Saturday or Sunday - can be Leg only day if you do not combine it w. Shoudlers

There are so many combos ..... it is easy to make your head hurt coming up with combinations. Basically, you need to get a program together and execute it for a few weeks and see how it works for YOU.

I understand that. What I meant was currently my weeks only consist of 2 days of weight training. So by increased time, I don't mean useless time, I simply meant that my time in the gym on weights would be increased. IE. 4 days instead of 2, etc.

The split I'm putting together is pretty much exactly what you listed. After doing some reading I decided on Back/Bi, Chest/Shoulder/Tri, and Legs. I want to post the routines when I'm done to gather some constructive feedback. Also, when I start this new rotation, I have committed to myself that I would stay on it for 4 weeks straight without changing anything (unless something is painful obviously) to see what the results are.

Thanks for the post Daisy.

highoctane said:
I understand that. What I meant was currently my weeks only consist of 2 days of weight training. So by increased time, I don't mean useless time, I simply meant that my time in the gym on weights would be increased. IE. 4 days instead of 2, etc.

The split I'm putting together is pretty much exactly what you listed. After doing some reading I decided on Back/Bi, Chest/Shoulder/Tri, and Legs. I want to post the routines when I'm done to gather some constructive feedback. Also, when I start this new rotation, I have committed to myself that I would stay on it for 4 weeks straight without changing anything (unless something is painful obviously) to see what the results are.

Thanks for the post Daisy.

Ah, got it.

I really like the Push/Pull split. Focusing on compound movements is the key - don't waste a lot of time with tons and tons of isolation movements.

There should be some sample routines in the sticky at the top .... "LINKS TO TOP THREADS" and the Shadow Project might be another good place to look.

:)

Ok here it is. Feedback would be appreciated.

Legs & Shoulders:
  • Barbell Lunges
  • Single Leg Split Squats
  • Leg Press
  • Leg Extension
  • Hyperextension
  • Deadlifts
  • Leg Curls (Lying)
  • Calf Raises
  • Reverse Calf Press
  • Shoulder Press
  • Front Raises
  • Upright Rows
  • Lateral Raises
  • Lying Rear Delt Rows

Back & Bis:
  • Seated Rows (Lever)
  • Chin Ups
  • Close Grip Pull Downs
  • Shrugs
  • Barbell Curls
  • Preacher Curls
  • Prone Incline Curls
  • Hammer Curls
  • Wrist Curls
  • Reverse Wrist Curls

Chest & Tris:
  • Flys
  • Push Ups
  • Incline Press
  • Decline Press
  • Dips
  • Close Grip Bench Press
  • Skull Crushers
  • Tricep Extensions
  • Kickbacks

These are listed all together, as in they aren't split, however when I work through each of these I would alternate. IE. Chest exercise, tri exercise, chest exercise, etc.

Thoughts?

This is what I would do...
Legs and Shoulders
Squats
DB stiff leg deads
standing calf raise
Standing miltary press or hammer strength shoulder press
Drop set side laterals

Back and biceps
Chins or assisted chins or rack chins
One arms row or t-bar row
Hammer curls
Ez curls or prechers

Chest and tries
Incline or decline bench or hammer
DB flys flat or incline
Smith close grip bench
Press downs

For everything but side laterals and pressdowns I would do this:
1 warm ups set hit 10-12 reps easy light weight
then works set of 8 hard reps
then add more weight 6 hard reps
add more weight 3 hard reps

Side lateral drops sets I do like so
DB's 17.5 15 12 first set I might hit 8 reps for each weight I rest long enough just to catch my breath 2nd set maybe get 6-7 for each 3 set again rest enough to catch breat and lucky to get 4-5 on each weight.

Press downs I do one giant drop set starting at
150 x failure
120 x failure
90 x failure
75 x failure
60 x failure

Top Bottom