Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Putting Together Strength Routines

superqt4u2nv said:
This is what I would do...
Legs and Shoulders
Squats
DB stiff leg deads
standing calf raise
Standing miltary press or hammer strength shoulder press
Drop set side laterals

Back and biceps
Chins or assisted chins or rack chins
One arms row or t-bar row
Hammer curls
Ez curls or prechers

Chest and tries
Incline or decline bench or hammer
DB flys flat or incline
Smith close grip bench
Press downs

For everything but side laterals and pressdowns I would do this:
1 warm ups set hit 10-12 reps easy light weight
then works set of 8 hard reps
then add more weight 6 hard reps
add more weight 3 hard reps

Side lateral drops sets I do like so
DB's 17.5 15 12 first set I might hit 8 reps for each weight I rest long enough just to catch my breath 2nd set maybe get 6-7 for each 3 set again rest enough to catch breat and lucky to get 4-5 on each weight.

Press downs I do one giant drop set starting at
150 x failure
120 x failure
90 x failure
75 x failure
60 x failure

It seems like so little. Mind you that's coming from someone who is asking for advice right. Is that enough to start making major changes towards my goals? (Miss Naive, right here :wavey: )

My second question would be, would you do one day of each (so 3 days of strength training)? Or would you double up on any one of them? Thoughts?

highoctane said:
It seems like so little. Mind you that's coming from someone who is asking for advice right. Is that enough to start making major changes towards my goals? (Miss Naive, right here :wavey: )

My second question would be, would you do one day of each (so 3 days of strength training)? Or would you double up on any one of them? Thoughts?
KISS (Keep It Simple ..... :) )

Your trying to build strength right? How do you think all of those isolation exercise would bring you strength? Answer they wont. Only thing that is going to bring strenth is low volume compound movements hence leading with squats more is not better.

Also forgot to add that on all the pyramid movements you would be adding 5lbs to each lift every week.

superqt4u2nv said:
KISS (Keep It Simple ..... :) )

Your trying to build strength right? How do you think all of those isolation exercise would bring you strength? Answer they wont. Only thing that is going to bring strenth is low volume compound movements hence leading with squats more is not better.

Also forgot to add that on all the pyramid movements you would be adding 5lbs to each lift every week.

Well, the main goals are strength and definition. The point is to cut the extra layers of fat I have right now (I start looking tighter around 130lbs/135lbs), and reveal what I would be working so hard for. Does that make any sense at all? Some that I have spoken to say that I should be working on mass now, and cutting when I'm 20 weeks out from November 10th, but I'm still not sure what that looks like 100% yet.

More does NOT equal better. The more time you spend lifting does not mean you get better results.

A good lifting routine RARELY takes over an hour and includes little isolation work. Focus on compound movements. Compound movements are ones that involve more than one joint action - i.e., squats: they move the hip, knee and ankle joints. They involve the MOST muscle groups, thereby maximizing the exercise time. Isolation movements involve one joint action - i.e., leg curl: moves the knee joint only, focuses on ONE muscle group (hams).

Isolation work certainly has it's place. It is certainly useful. But the MOST TIME should be spent on compound movements. That is where you gain a lot of strength and growth. Not to mention, it is more "real world" useful and can help build core strength and total body awareness.

I mean - SERIOUSLY - you do SIX DIFFERENT exercises JUST for Biceps? Holy Cow. Do you realize HOW SMALL the bicep muscle group is? I really would not do more than 2 different moves for Biceps. Even for Legs you are doing a helluva lot of things.

I really think you need to pare down and focus on some BASICS, rather than putzing around with all the simple movements. I think you will see a lot more growth and results if you drop the endless isolation work and focus on the BIG MOVEMENTS.

For example .....

Chest
Pushups - for warm up (I love doing this, helps build core strength)
DB Incline Press
Flies (I like the machine for flies, but that is because I have a cranky R shoulder)
*Could also do BB or DB Chest Press

Back
Lat Pulldown (I like the Hammer Strength plate loaded machine)
Pullups
Row - Like QT said, T-Bar is great if your gym has one
(Deadlifts can go here too)

Shoulders
DB OH Press
Upright Row
Lateral Raise

Biceps
BB Curl (EZ bar if you have one)
Concentration Curl
*I hate Preacher Curls, kills my elbows for some reason, always has.

Triceps
Dips
Skullcrusher

Legs
Deadlifts (also can be for Back)
Lunges, lunges lunges - so many choices .... walking, stationary, weighted, unweighted, backwards, they are just awesome
Squats

To hit calves - run some stairs or do a little jumproping. Even adding a day of Plyometrics can kill your calves.

My favorite split is still
Mon - Chest/Shoulders/Triceps (not alternating between muscles, doing each group at a time)
Weds - Back/Biceps
Fri - Legs

But you could also do....

Mon - Chest/Should
Weds - Back/Legs
Fri - Biceps/Triceps

OR

Mon - Chest/Back
Weds - Shoulders
Fri - Biceps/Triceps
Sat - Legs

Your split should be based on maximizing your time and best suited for your goals. For example, my legs never need a lot of work. Even as fat as I am (lol) I have a nice quad sweep, a curve in my hams and my gastroc is still heart shaped. So I NEVER spend a lot of tiem on legs, so I can always lump them in with something else. But since they are so built, I have always needed to work harder on my upper body, to balance out. You need to look at what areas you are weaker and make those days a focused workout.

SOOOO.... If your shoulders need to be brought up more, then you might be better suited to have shoulders be worked alone, so you can really kill them. If your lower body is weaker, then legs should be worked (killed) alone. Does that make sense?

LOL it was first kick at the cat damnit! Let me go back to the drawing board and put something together from your (Daisy's) and QTs posts and we'll see if I do a better job this time, hahaha.

highoctane said:
Well, the main goals are strength and definition. The point is to cut the extra layers of fat I have right now (I start looking tighter around 130lbs/135lbs), and reveal what I would be working so hard for. Does that make any sense at all? Some that I have spoken to say that I should be working on mass now, and cutting when I'm 20 weeks out from November 10th, but I'm still not sure what that looks like 100% yet.
Are you looking at competing in the Ottawa and Eastern Champs? If so figure, fitness or BB?

superqt4u2nv said:
Are you looking at competing in the Ottawa and Eastern Champs? If so figure, fitness or BB?

Yes, and figure. Long way out I know...but when there's a date on something it always makes it a bit more real right.

highoctane said:
Yes, and figure. Long way out I know...but when there's a date on something it always makes it a bit more real right.
Yup :) I would tend to agree with the advice you were given keep building now and start cutting 20 weeks out. What is your current bf% at?

superqt4u2nv said:
Yup :) I would tend to agree with the advice you were given keep building now and start cutting 20 weeks out. What is your current bf% at?

I only have Tanita figures for Body Fat right now...and I've heard they aren't so accurate (I freakin hope not). I'll probably have my first caliper set done at some point this week if not next weekend (have a weekend off finally). I also need to take my measurements and just haven't made time for that yet (the days kinda just flow together sometimes and before I know it it's the 18th and I've been posting on the log since the 5th...who knew?!).

highoctane said:
I only have Tanita figures for Body Fat right now...and I've heard they aren't so accurate (I freakin hope not). I'll probably have my first caliper set done at some point this week if not next weekend (have a weekend off finally). I also need to take my measurements and just haven't made time for that yet (the days kinda just flow together sometimes and before I know it it's the 18th and I've been posting on the log since the 5th...who knew?!).
For sure go buy a caliper measurement on bf%. I took a look at your log don't focus on the number on the scales too much as they don't mean squat on stage. Focus on how you look in the mrror. If you get a chance check out some of the shows this spring summer to get an idea what the judges are looking for last year it was tight and tiny. I have feeling this year will be the same.

Top Bottom