Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Protein or mass gainer for ex-anorexic?

efim60

My friend she just got out of anorexia, and she isreally slim. Now she realized what was her problem, and she reallywants to gain her weight back as soon as possible. I think now wehave to help her while she is motivated. What would be better for her– whey protein, or a mass gainer? Hope you can help me out!

I'd say both - a so-called lean mass gainer. 60% carbs and 40% protein. But, as per a reply on a similar topic, makes sure she gains gradually and isn't going from not eating to force-feeding. Both are extremes of behavior and so aren't advised.

I would make my own weight gainer. Milk is a good base. Oats. Peanut butter. Banana. And some protein powder if you want. You can make it as strong as you want with your ingredients and you know exactly what's in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I would rather recommend you to use protein in such a situation, because a mass gainer will add lots of "dirty" fat mass, and it may feel a bit too heavy for a person who just overcame anorexia. A high quality whey isolate with as few additives as possible would be ideal.

Also, @muskate has one really good recipe for a home-made muscle gainer, so I would keep it in mind when he will chime in.

The problem with just using a protein powder is that it's just that - protein. It's not a complete meal that has all 3 macronutrients (protein, fat and carbs).

What I would do is get a high quality protein powder and make your own high quality nutrition shake. It'll be much cheaper, and provide much more nutrients then any massgainer.

Buy a high quality blender and blend together the following:
2 scoops of a high quality whey protein isolate
oatmeal
natural almond butter or peanut butter
frozen fruit
banana
ice
chia/flax seeds
spinach/kale

You can easily make that shake around 800 calories and it'll be full of vitamins, minerals, healthy fats and fibre.

Thank you all ! Especially Muskate - your recipe looks very yummy! Does she need to combine it with a mass gainer, or just take it on its own? Will go buy her all the ingredients today.

I also really like what Muskate suggested. This is what I always recommend for anyone looking to put on mass. That seems like it would be perfect in this case.

Top Bottom