Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Pregnancy and working out

meengrrl

Hi girls :)

I just found out that I'm pregnant, about 3 weeks along. Now this wasnt really planned, and came right in the middle of my 'transformation' but I'm happy anyways. :) I'd still like to keep on losing some weight until the real weight gain begins, since I'm at about 22% bf right now. I was supposed to begin taking clen again this coming sunday, but I wont be doing that, and I stopped taking all thermogenics and caffeine. Is there anything else any of you girls can give me advice on? Should I avoid hard cardio? I was thinking of just walking on the treadmill with an incline for 2-3 miles a day and keep on going with weights, just maybe not lifting as heavy...

I'd love any advice you girls can give me, as this is my first time! :)

No reason to avoid cardio that I can see. Sure avoid the high impact kind once you are farther along but the treadmill sounds fine.

I think its going to be pretty damn hard to lose bf now since your body is shifting hormonally to begin adding bodyfat. Just be careful not to overeat and worry about the fat loss after you give birth.

Why not keep lifting heavy? I cant see how it could hurt the baby at all. Just keep regular prenatal checkups of course to make sure there's no problem with vigorous excericise. Once you get past 6 months though I think most docs advise against lower body workouts for fear of triggering early labor.

good response anya, i agree totally with the bf issue.

unfortunately, my doc sided against heavy lifting. I was stubborn and asked other docs, they said no, and even with my second bambino, my midwife was like hell no.
so consensus, no.
i was pissed but, there are ways of staying fit, tons of ways,
all the best wishes and congrats on your impending addition.
:arty:
~g~

I stayed on the treadmill the entire time I was pregnant. Your body will tell you when enough is enough. As far a lifting heavy...my doc told me that whatever workout I was accustomed to would be alright...I'm sure there are definate boundaries though. I mean, he tells me that, then says not to lift anything over 10lbs. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I rode my bike to the grocery store the night before my second was born. Like Boscoe said, whatever you've been doing (if you're been doing it for a decent while, like six months) is okay. It's just not the time to start something new.

And as far as lifting, they say not to lift much, but I had to lift my firstborn (who was three) up through the end, and I never had a problem (and I know I'm not the only mother who's done that!). And I know there's a lifter here whose wife was doing deadlifts or somesuch through her pregnancies. Maybe he'll chime in.

Good luck, and congratulations!

Thanks for all the advice. :) I would like to keep on lifting heavy, I probably wont be adding any extra weight than what I'm doing right now, just because I'm soo paranoid of something bad happening within the first 3 months, probably because my fiancee wasnt even supposed to be able to have kids, so this really is a miracle. :)

I'll keep on doing what I'm doing though, and keep on eating healthy, and maybe I'll lose a little bit of extra flab (just hoping)
Thanks for the advice! :)

CONGRATS! :)

Got some good advice for the ladies above. Stay active, but don't worry about losing weight. Your baby needs it!

Unless your health is imperiled by the amount of bodyfat you carry (and it doesn't sound like it is at 22%), now is not the time to lose weight - your growing baby needs nourishment.

Your joints are going to loosen up as you get further along, but that's not a reason to avoid lifting and cardio. Within reason. Like the other ladies said, whatever you were doing pre-pregnancy is fine during the pregnancy. Your body will tell you when you're pushing it too hard. Heavy squats and other excercises that cause you to "bear down" should probably be avoided after the fourth or fifth month, and when your stomach gets larger, it's not practical or healthy to use machines which require you to lay on your stomach.

Just remember, the better shape you're in, the easier labor will be. Good luck with your pregnancy, and keep us posted. :)

preg_sqt.jpg

If you are well trained prior to pregnancy, have no problems with the pregnancy, then you can pretty much continue to lift aggressively relative to how you feel.

Only contraindications would be lying on your stomach, ab work or anything that doesn't feel right, high heart rate and exercise in the heat. Lying exercises are OK short-term (i.e, one set of bench presses). No decline work after the first trimester. No weight belts and wide stance on the leg press to avoid abdominal compression. Everything else goes. I usually cut the weight for my clients on lower body work by about 25%. So if there were squatting 185 x 8 parallel, then we go to about 135 x 8 for 3 sets.

Been training pregnant women for years. No problems yet. If however the woman is untrained, then stick close to ACOG guidelines and watch her close.

See attached pic of one of my clients 8 mo pregnant. Squatting 135. She just had her baby last week. Normal and healthy.

W6

I love the replies, you guys are awesome. :) I'd love to see a full sized version of that pic, but since I'm not a plat I cant see it. Can anyone post a full one? I'm going to steal Daisy's diet and maybe tweak it a bit and start doing more cardio so I can be in really good shape when I get bigger. :)

Thanks for the help everyone! :fro:

Top Bottom