Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Pregnancy and working out

Larger Pic:
cb44dcc19d0edc83d6d20864203c4ca9.jpg

Just a couple things to be careful of when pregnant -

1) My diet needs to be SERIOUSLY tweaked to feed a growing human. It is majorly deficient in calcium and probably many vitamins and minerals. I take a lot of Vit/Min supplements, which helps ME, but certainly not a growing baby. My diet is NOT balanced for pregnant women. The concepts can remain the same - clean food choices, high protein, etc. But you will need more variety and more heathful options. Also, keep in mind that while pregnant, the only food you can keep down may be something random and not something on your "diet plan". It is more important to think about the long term effects of your food choices on your baby than on how hard/easy it will be to lose fat later.

2) Pregnancy is NOT the time to start a whole new exercise program. If you are deconditioned, your body will be working extra hard, which isn't necessarily good for the baby. You can do cardio, you can lift weights - but watch your intensity if you are deconditioned. If you are deconditioned, do basic exercises - walking, stationary cycle, swimming, low impact step classes, yoga (adapt some poses for pregnancy), elliptical machine, etc. Weight training is fine, just watch the form and exercise choices carefully. Don't take this time to start maxing out on lifts - W6's client may have been able to do things very different than you are able - her fitness level and experience is different from yours. Tailor your workouts to YOUR present abilities.

3) Watch yor intensity - bringing your body temp too high, especially during the first trimester, can *possibily* cause damage to the baby's forming brain. Stay hydrated, very hydrated, and watch how you feel.

4) Talk with your doctor. Find out what they recommend. Some doctors are "behind the times" and don't recommend a women work out at all during pregnancy. While I DO NOT agree with this, every pregnancy and women is different - find out what your doctor recommends and why. It could even be a good idea to get a trainer who is knowledgeable in training pregnant women.

As DG said, their condition going into pregnancy is the most important variable on what can and should not be done.

I had a 4 1/2 month preg woman come in yesterday, runner and otherwise in good health. Was showing her some basics. Squats with just a bar/broomstick, light leg presses, etc. About 5 exercises, couple sets each. We were about 20 minutes in and she started getting dizzy, sweaty, shaky, room was closing in on her, etc.

Checked her pulse, normal. Had her sit and drink some OJ. Then lay down with her feet up for a few minutes. It all cleared in about 10 min. Hypoglycemic.

She had 1/2 slice toast and OJ for breakfast and about 1/2 cup of rice for dinner the night before. Go figure.

She used to do the low carb diet. She now understands the value of carbs during exercise and pregnancy.

But she is a good example of someone that is going to have limitations versus my trained preg clients and needs some education as well. May set her up with a nutritionist.

W6

Thanks for posting the bigger picture. :)

No worries though, I'm really not planning on doing anything that would put the baby in harms way right now. I'm not lifting any heavier than I have been before, and even lighter than before with some exercises, and even though I'm using your diet as a basic guideline, I've done alot of tweaking and have added alot of fruits and veggies. :)

Today my diet will consist of..

1 whole egg, 5 egg whites
1 pack of strawberries n cream oatmeal

1 orange
protein shake

1 cup brown rice
1 large chicken breast

FF yogurt
protein shake

1 chicken breast
salad and veggies

When I figured out calories on fitday, it was at approximately 1750, so I think it's ok for the time being. I know that as time goes on I'll have to be upping my calories, but it really is SO early on right now that I really shouldn't be eating for 2 people like some say. I was told by a doctor that I will only be needing to up my calorie intake by around 200 cals a little further into the pregnancy. I'd like to take in some more dairy, but I'm lactose intolerant so the yogurt is about all I can handle..

Well thanks for the advice and caring :) I really appreciate it!

Top Bottom